“2 night business trip w/ our dogs - exceeded expectations!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save Up To 15%
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Newark, Delaware
“2 night business trip w/ our dogs - exceeded expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I came into town on Thursday night, and after a long drive from DE, I was exhausted. I had spoken to Chris, the manager, earlier in the day, regarding a hotel switch that was caused due to overbooking. After explaining that I was traveling with my dogs, I could not possibly stay in their sister location (not dog friendly). Chris found me a room for two nights, and it was much better that what was originally booked for me. I also was able to get a late check out (1pm). I can't thank Chris enough for all he did!

I ended up in a king room w/ a whirlpool tub. The room was quite spacious, and very clean. Is this hotel brand new? No. Is this hotel clean? VERY MUCH SO! Again, I had two small Boston Terriers with me, and they didn't pick up any strange smells in the room. They loved running around, and had plenty of space to play. The bathroom was large, and also very clean.

I especially enjoyed the availability of coffee all day, as well as the nice breakfast selection. In the afternoon, the front desk had fresh baked cookies. All the amenities set this hotel apart from the other chains. I will definitely end up strongly considering a Hampton Inn on my next trip.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 308 - near the elevator. It was not at all noisy.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
carmentrout, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charlotte / Matthews, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind response through Tripadvisor. We are honored to be your preferred hotel when visiting Matthews, North Carolina. Every member of the hotel staff here at the Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthews prides itself on providing superior customer service to every guest we come in contact with especially our valued leisure travelers. It was nice to hear that you were able to enjoy the many amenities offered to our guests. We promise to continue to improve our operation so that future guests can enjoy the Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthew's sourthern charm. We look forward to your next visit to Matthews.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Don't assume becasue a hotel carries the Hilton brand (Hampton Inn in this case) that it's up to their standards. I felt betrayed! The staff is fine; the hotel should be condemed. The place is worn out and smelly...and the bed had bugs...I was moved to another room and it too had bugs.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

The entire staff here at the Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthews wants to extend our gratitude for reviewing our location on the TripAdvisor website. Customer feedback is vital to allow the team in Matthews to continually improve our operation. I promise that I will address your concerns with our staff because your experience seems out of character for our property. Upon receiving your review we had our pest extermination company come to the hotel to do a complete review. There was no evidence of bed bugs in any of our guest rooms. Mr. Ruggles walked in at 2 am demanding a king. The only king available that evening was a smoking room, upon checking in to that room Mr. Ruggles stated that the smell was too strong for him so he was moved to a two double bed non-smoking room. It is important that our guests' are satisfied with their stays but we always want to go above and beyond guest expectations. As Mr. Ruggles departed the hotel he stated that his second room was " much better". Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit to Matthews.
Marion, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I found my stay to be less than peaceful. The noise in the hallway made it difficult to sleep and the bathroom toilet kept flushing. I closed the door to block out the noise and turned up the fan to block out the hallway noise.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

carmentrout, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charlotte / Matthews, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for your recognition through Tripadvisor of our entire team's dedication to providing a great stay, every visit. Know that our operation is constantly working on ways to improve on the details to ensure you can expect an outstanding stay every time. Your responses help us to provide superior customer service to all the guests of the Hampton Inn Charlotte Matthews. Thank you again for your response and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Hartsville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were going to be in the area because of some testing for my wife's job at a testing center near by. The Hampton Inn was close by, and of course my #1 choice when it comes to hotels. Very clean & spacious rooms, comfortable beds, and friendly employees. Nice breakfast & a decent gym (treadmill, bike, and some weights). The only downside was we were on the first floor and had the very end room beside the exit, so the opening and closing of the doors from travelers/housekeeping coming in and out all night was a little bother, but nothing major. Overall great stay. Lots of restaurants and shopping centers nearby. If you are going to be in the area, it's a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
carmentrout, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charlotte / Matthews, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
The Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthews is thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay! Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience with Tripadvisor. I will make sure the staff is recognized and rewarded for their efforts in making a difference during your visit. The entire team at the Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthews is really movtivated when we hear that we have succeeded in our mission, to provide superior service and clean surroundings everytime. We were excited to hear that everything you needed was located within walking distance of our hotel. The staff looks forward to the pleasure of serving you again in the near future. We love having you here! Thank you for choosing Hampton.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Great service from both Carly and Nikki, wonderful personalities and customer care.
They were friendly and wanted to make sure our stay was enjoyable. This is important for business travelers as we see too many different rooms and locations.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
carmentrout, General Manager at Hampton Inn Charlotte / Matthews, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
The Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthews is thrilled to hear you had a wonderful stay! Thank you so much for taking the time to review your experience with Tripadvisor. I will make sure Nikki and Carly is recognized and rewarded for her efforts in making a difference during your visit. The entire team at the Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthews is really movtivated when we hear that we have succeeded in our mission, to provide superior service and clean surroundings everytime. The staff looks forward to the pleasure of serving you again in the near future. We love having you here! Thank you for choosing Hampton.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed one night at the hampton it was a decent hotel nothing special . We wanted to take a dip in poll after driving in but the pool was nasty very bad . The only other issue was room key card it would only open room door once then i had to go to front desk to get it reloaded very inconvenient. would expect better for the price.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
The entire staff here at the Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthews wants to extend our gratitude for reviewing our location on the TripAdvisor website. Customer feedback is vital to allow the team in Matthews to continually improve our operation. I will identify what may have occured with the lock in your guest room, please make us aware if you are ever having any challenges. I promise that I will address your concerns with our staff because your experience seems out of character for our property. It is important that our guests' are satisfied with their stays but we always want to go above and beyond guest expectations. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to your next visit to Matthews.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The friendly staff here are second to none. The moment I walked in the door I was greeted with a smile by Carly who assisted me with check in. She instructed me of the managers reception that was to take place shortly and after getting settled, made my way down to the lobby. Nikki immediately made me feel at home by offering a cold beverage and some light fare all the while speaking to me like a friend. I will most certainly choose the Matthews, NC Hampton Inn the next time I am in town.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review of the Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthews through the TripAdvisor website. The entire team here at the Hampton Inn Charlotte/Matthews works very hard to provide a clean room and friendly surroundings for every guest, every visit. I will ensure Carly and Nikki are recognized for their friendly demeanor and positive attitudes. We really value all of our travelers and want to make sure we can support them no matter what their need may be during their visit. Please keep us in mind on your future visits to Charlotte/Matthews. Thank you for your patronage!

Been to Hampton Inn Charlotte / Matthews? Share your experiences!