“First timers taking the "float trip" and loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Marshall
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: French Broad Rafting and Ziplines is only 24 Miles from Asheville (NC) North Carolina. FBRZ is the closest Asheville zipline /canopy tour and rafting package to Asheville, Johnson City and Greenville SC. The French Broad River is the closest whitewater rafting to Asheville NC. Whether it's the adventure and excitement of whitewater rafting or the ease and relaxation of a calm water trip, you are looking for, French Broad Rafting and Ziplines is the adventure outfitter for you, your family, or your group.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Virginia
12 attraction reviews
“First timers taking the "float trip" and loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

You'll have to forgive me for not writing a review sooner because I can't for the life of me remember our guide's name (long blonde hair and only about 5'4") but what an awesome time! My wife, daughter and her friend and I took the float trip from their station in Marshall and truly enjoyed it. Our guide was laid back, very conscious of my wife's fears and by the time we finished we were ready for class IV experiences.

A word of advice though; even in August that water is very cold at 10am. Wait for the afternoon trips and the water will warm up a bit. I was the first one to jump into the water when our guide said we had time to float with our PFD's and I gotta tell 'ya it took my breath away.

Remember to tip your guide when you're done. They mostly make their rent money from the tips, and after our trip, I made sure he was tipped well. It was funny though when we went downtown to get some pizza and he walked in to pick up his pizza. He flat-out told us that our tip helped him to buy lunch.

We'll be back FBR!!

Visited August 2013

Memphis
“French Broad Rafting is AWESOME!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I did class 1 to 3 white water rafting at French Broad on September 2. Was an awesome time. Mike was our guide. What a character and loads of fun! Was safe, informative and very enjoyable. Would highly recommend it. Not a lot of fancy stuff. Just down to earth good people doing everything they can to help you have a safe and thrilling experience. If you are lucky Mike will tell you some of his rafting jokes and its free. Only refer was not doing the all day rafting with class 4 experience. Definitely recommend. Fred & Ruth.

Cincinnati, Ohio
“Good First Time Rafting Experience...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The staff was great except a little unprofessional at times, but that didn't ruin the experience. Took the three hour trip, class 1 and 2 rapids, I believe, even for a first timer it was too tame. Nice breaks along the way to jump off a rock, float in the river and snack time. Decent area to change clothes, but no running water to wash your hands, just hand sanitizer.

Morrisville, North Carolina
“What a Rush!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I and my 2 stepdaughters booked a Class 2-3 rapids tour for the day after our wedding! (Monica of Biltmore Village INN recommended this company) Matt was our guide and we had an absolute blast!! 2 of us had been white water rafting previously and 2 of us were new to the experience. Matt was knowledgable, very funny, and informative about the history of the area! He put us all at ease and empowered us to get through the rapids with flare!!
The trip makes a couple stops along the way - one to jump off a high rock (optional) and one to offer a light snack and beverage halfway through the tour (much needed!!). I was really impressed with the way this tour was organized - very professional yet extremely fun!! Other white water rafting companies in the area encourage dumping water on fellow "crew" members or on other boats, and use water guns to shoot at each other. While I enjoy getting into the spirit of things, I much preferred focusing on enjoying the rapids safely, the amazing beauty of our surroundings, and the company of our "crew"!! I highly recommend this tour over others for this reason and all the others I mention above!! We are looking forward to our next set of rapids!!

Los Angeles, California
“Had a BLAST!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

My brother & I did the Level 3 Whitewater Rafting trip with Michael as our guide. Great personality, safe environment, and provided lots of information about the land and river. It was exciting, peaceful, and beautiful at the same time. Later on that day we took a Ziplining tour. Our guides were Brandon and Ryan who explained everything in detail to us as safety was their number one priority. They were very nice and professional. Both my brother and I were impressed with the two of them. The Ziplining tour was absolutely "awesome"! There were 10 different ziplines, some of which were very long and high above the ground. You can get up to 35mph on them.

I definitely recommend French Broad Rafting next time you're in the area. It was one of the many highlights of my first trip to North Carolina. :)