“Not worth a trip up the mountain” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wolf Ridge Ski Resort

Wolf Ridge Ski Resort
578 Valley View Circle, Mars Hill, NC 28754 (Formerly Wolf Laurel Ski Area)
(828) 689-4111
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Mars Hill
Orlando, Florida
9 attraction reviews
“Not worth a trip up the mountain”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Save your time and gas. This place is in terrible disrepair. If feels more like a survivalist camp in the mountains. Food is terrible and base camp lodge only has the grill in it that flooded the lodge with smoke from grill and fryers. Wow real bad.

Visited December 2013

RBC, AL
4 attraction reviews
“Super friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Overall it was a good first time ski trip with the family. All of us are beginners
, so we dont have anything to compare to.

I would suggest getting there early your first day to get your equipment and lockers, it started to get packed around 11am.

They had a good amount of snow based on the weather being in the 40s-50s...and seem to keep the slopes in good condition.

I didn't hear much complaining and the crowd seemed to be happy. The staff was super friendly and willing to help at all times.

Visited December 2013
Kingwood, Texas, United States
6 attraction reviews
“So So Skiing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

I expected much more from the website photos and write up. Only a couple of runs open mostly ice. Very basic place and food was less than food. No adult beverages available. We drove 3 hours to get there and really expected more.

13 attraction reviews
“Nice small place to learn ski basics”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My husband and brother in law wanted a little ski & snowboarding practice before an out west trip. Wolf Ridge in December offered only a few green and one blue trail since it was an unusual warm 65 degrees. For them Wolf Ridge was ok, but this resort is in a beautiful location, driving near a pretty brook on the way up and very family/kid friendly.

For me, a first timer, it was great! The prices are low ($45 a day)but offer cheaper on weekdays. Ski rentals were $19 and a group lesson was $22 an hour. Since it was a slow day, I got a one-on-one lesson for the same price, which should be $50 from WR's website. Instructor Tim was very knowledgeable and encouraging with 15 years of teaching skiing. Another instructor Heidi joined us to refresh her instructor skills. They actually went over time to accompany me on the ski lift for one run down beyond the bunny slope. I felt much better about my abilities on the mountain and really appropriate the professionalism the staff had, including the people at the lifts.

The facilities of WR are little run down bit the word was it is recently under new management and making improvements . The food was subpar (avoid cheesy fries) and alcohol is not served, which would have been refreshing at the end of our day on the mountain.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“1st trip Skiing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were told at the supermarket we were going to the worst ski mountain so of course that freaked us all out, but when we got there everyone was pretty helpful. I noticed the mountain was really icey and this is coming from someone who lives in South Florida, but we had a lot of fun. They close the mountain by session to blow more snow and fix it. My kids wanted to stay for the second session until they saw the paramedics coming down the mountain with a kid who broke both of his legs. My kids were ready to go home after that.

Visited February 2013