“Very nice hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Maggie Valley
vkp123
“Very nice hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2007

I had booked this room a few months back and I had read some reviews on another website and thought it was a good choice. After reviewing the pictures and the tour, it looked like a decent place to stay in Maggie Valley. After reviewing the comments on this website, I was a little unsure, but I decided to give it a try. Once i got to the hotel, the desk clerk was very friendly and made us feel very welcome (I went with my husband). We checked in around 200pm and we got to check in. Most hotels don't allow checkin until 3pm, so we were fortunate. The rate was very good for what we paid for. The beds were very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. The breakfast area was quite bigger than what I expected.Overall, I will place a review on every website I can about this hotel, because it is a nice place to stay and it was beautiful from our room. The fall foilage was very nice this year! WIll return!

• Liked — The service, the breakfast, and the comfortable room!
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
atlanta, ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

Not bad for the price but walls are very thin. We had 2 of our young children with us and the front desk called and said we were making too much noise. We aren't loud people and it was around 9:30p. We only stayed 1 night and I was ready to go. I can say it was clean. No scenery-right on the main road in Maggie Valley-not on the creekside either. Next trip we rented a small mountain home and were much happier.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — room quality
  • Stayed June 2004, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2007

This is most definitely not a fit if you want to get a good night's sleep. You can't live for more than 1 night here if you plan to not be bored. In the room, we could hear some obnoxious teens in the next room playing guitar at MIDNIGHT!!!! The room is extremely small. (hint, hint, wink, wink: that is what the name means). We could hear people walking down the hall since the walls are paper thin. Do us all a favor and do not stay here for more than a night.

P.S. 1 positive: the rooms have a really cool mirror effect that makes it look bigger and you HAVE to go in the hot tub! It is so hot you can't believe it. Relax and have a good time in the hot tub!

Stayed January 2007
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

The hotel was clean. The room was clean, but the bed was uncomfortable. The person at the front desk was rude. We arrived midweek before the weekend crowd. We arrived a few hours before check-in. Although our room was ready, we were told that if we checked in early, we would be charged an extra $15 for each hour before check-in time. We have stayed at other places in Maggie Valley. Each time, we have received a warm friendly greeting. This time, we felt like we were bothering the staff by staying there.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rude staff, uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Birmingham, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

Stayed at the Microtel Maggie Valley Oct 13th - 15th. We enjoyed the suite, which had everything in it that we needed. Unfortunately we forgot our swimsuits or we could have gotten into the indoor pool or hot tub. It got very cold each night of our visit and the warm water would have felt great! The free continental breakfast was your standard fare - bagels, waffles, muffins, bananas. Decent enough - my only complaint is that they ran out of bananas each morning before the breakfast hours were over. In the overall scheme of things, this was very minor!

We had dinner the first night at a nearby Italian restaurant (I don't remember the name but it started with an S). The service was awful and the food wasn't very good either. The second night we ate at Sagebrush steakhouse in Waynesville - completely different eating experience! Very good service and some of the best steaks I have had in a long time! I got the small filet and I could have used my fork to cut it.

As far as sightseeing goes, we went to see the leaves and the elk in Cataloochee Valley and took many, many pictures. We went in the evening (around 4 pm) and there was one bull elk with his small herd peacefully grazing in the meadow. There were about 7 other bull elk scattered across the Valley while we were there.

For Sunday afternoon we had booked an ATV ride in Cullowee, NC with Appalachian ATV Adventures. We found the brochure in the hotel and made phone reservations very easily. We booked the beginners course, but ended up going on the more difficult trails. Although I have ridden motorcycles before, I had never ridden a 4-wheeler. The guides provided excellent instruction and we thoroughly enjoyed the ride! They do take a couple short breaks during your ride to let your thumb relax and then when you get near the top of the mountain you stop for lunch (which is provided). After lunch, they took us down the mountain to see a small waterfall and then we had a pretty challenging ride back to the loading area. As I made the reservations for this ride, I was really looking forward to it - what a pleasant surprise when it completely exceeded my expectations!

I'll probably go back to Maggie Valley in the future - and I'll definitely consider staying at the Microtel again when I do go.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

Good value for $45/night, but you get what you pay for. The property is somewhat beat-up and could be cleaner. The mattress was comfortable.

• Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

Writing this May 9th, 2006
This past weekend I was in a money crunch and had to save as much as possible when travelling to my sons wedding in the mountains of NC. I had originally booked a Marriott Fairfield at the airport in Asheville however when i saw the location of the church and such and the price of gas recently I figured I would start searching a bit closer to the event for a hotel.
I have travelled quite a bit in my working career and certainly realize the importance of a good nights sleep advantage and cost / value options.
I was a lot hesitant about trying a chain hotel for the first time and read reviews that provided both positive and negative sides of Microtel.
I must say that upon my arrival I was open minded and prepared to stay elsewhere if needed.
The first thing i noticed was the outward boxy appearance of the property.
A bit intimidated by the basic appearance. I continued in and was greeted by a sharp, clean lobby attached to which was a nice little continental breakfast area with 24 hour coffee available. Much like Hampton Inn setups without the TV or frills. Just the basics.
Check in was fairly standard.
Nice greeting
I used the elevator and as elevators go it was basic. Could have used a bit of cleaning however and seeing that it is the first thing you see on the way to your room it kind of gives you a feel for what to expect.
Ok, on to the room.
The hallways were simple but clean. I could not hear any noise or commotion as I strolled down the 2nd story hallway. I had a upper floor room which always eliminates the possibility of kids running around on top of your ceiling all night.
As I opened the door I was pleasantly surprised. This room was sharp. It was clean, it was functional. The first thing that I did was sit on the bed. It was not nearly what I had read on some other review. Soft enough for sleeping for sure.
The bathroom was clean and well appointed. Hairdryer, plenty of towels, no signs of others leftover hair. So far I was getting a good vibe.
The Television was mounted up above a two door closet kind of on a funny angle which I am sure was done to maximize space and improve price structures. Thats ok. I did not check in to watch TV.
The carpets were clean, the bedspreads were maintained. The sheets were clean. The mirrors that fill the entire wall behind the beds were clean.
Clean, Clean, Clean, that was my first impression.
Earlene was my housekeeper and I commend her and the hotel in general for good staff
I sleep with a CPAP machine for breathing and there were plenty of outlets for me to access.
The inside door handle drooped a bit as if someone had cranked on it and i was a bit concerned about the possibility of security but It was my fault that I did not report it.
There were many things that I would consider personal issues that might vary from person to person in taste but I must say that if you were considering a place to sleep just to sleep this is a great choice for the money.
The continental breakfast is not elaborate but if you just want a bagel and coffee and some cereal, its great.
Oh, by the way. The clerk at the desk told me that this particular hotel was one of the original ones and if this is the case I would imagine that the newer ones would be better, just a guess.
I want to commend Microtel for providing me, the restless sleeper with two nights of peaceful rest with no loud parties, interruptions, or surprises.

I would suggest this hotel to anyone in the area looking for a place to stay and I look forward to another cost savings stay and a peaceful rest at another Microtel.

Give them a try, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Sweet Dreams

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Maggie Valley? Share your experiences!