“Family Friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Valley Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Maggie Valley
The Valley Inn
You added The Valley Inn to your Saves list
236 Soco Road, Maggie Valley, NC 28751   |
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Certificate of Excellence 2014
North Carolina
“Family Friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay at this family hotel when we went to the mountains to see the leaves change color this past fall. Upon arrival we were promptly and courteously greeted by Andy, the owner.

Andy quickly checked me in and he provided a quick rundown of the property. He explained there was a fire pit out back and would likely be utilized that evening. He explained where the ice machine was located and how snacks are available right there in the lobby. It was a quick and pleasant check in. We found our room very quickly, which had a very nice view overlooking the rushing stream and had numerous rocking chairs available to sit and relax.

The room was very clean and was typically furnished like other mom and pop hotels found throughout the North Carolina Mts. The king size bed was quite comfortable. And the furniture, while dated, was comfortable as well.

I plugged in the small refrigerator which was on top of a small dresser of drawers. The dresser was more functional than usable, as the top drawer would not open at all. The room had a combo ac/heat window/wall unit that worked well, but poorly thermostatically controlled. It had settings, and certainly had a good blower that warmed the room very quickly, but we had to change the settings numerous times throughout the night as it went from very hot to too cold to hot again as the blower did not seem to kick off when it should have. I will add that this may have been exacerbated by my unfamiliarity with this wall unit’s operation that did not help matters.
The room setup was unique, with the only sink located in the bedroom area itself, which had its broken towel hanger sitting in the cabinet under the sink, right next to the small bottle of aromatic body oil evidently left behind by a previous guest. While clean, the room was short on amenities as it had no facial tissues, no provided shampoo, and tiny mini bars of unbranded soap that leave your hands smelling “flowery”.. of which I did not care for.

While functional, I would've preferred to pay a couple of dollars more per night and at least have a cheap box of tissues, and a mini bottle of shampoo as I had to use toilet tissue when I sneezed a few times. It was my mistake for not bringing a bottle of shampoo with me, but when I woke up in the morning; the office does not open until 9 am, so I had to make a quick 5 mile trip to the local grocery store to grab a bottle of shampoo. The bathroom and tub area were very clean. While plenty of bath towels were provided, there were neither hand towels nor a bath mat to step on when exiting the tub.
A half dozen or so rooms were evidently rented by some motorcycle enthusiasts, and early evening, they had a nice roaring fire going outside in the fire pit right located right next to the rushing stream .
My wife and I threw on some jackets, and went down and joined them. Soon after, another hotel guest came down with her young daughter, and cooked hot dogs and smores over the fire.
The room was nice and quiet throughout the evening, until the early morning. It seems that motorcycle enthusiasts like to rev their engines up when they are checking out in the morning. I can't say that I am a fan of waking up to revving engines when I am trying to sleep in a little on a weekend morning. As a result, my wife and I were both fully awake well before 7:00 AM.

I would be remiss if I did not mention a few things that concerned me. The office did not open until 9 am and we were well on our way, or I would have passed the same comments to the owner. First, the outside wooden stairwell seemed a bit shaky and is probably due for some firming up or replacement.
Additionally, after dark, there was minimal lighting to speak of on the outdoor stairs and one had to go up and down the stairs in very poor to no lighting. I felt this to be very unsafe, and imagined that had my parents been with us, they would've not been able to go up and down the stairs in such darkness.
Secondly, when my wife went to get ice, it was after dark. My wife left the room to get some ice, but soon returned because it was so dark and she said she was uncomfortable going there by herself. Thus I went to get the ice. The path was not lit up very well at all; I had to walk over some plywood that had been placed down as a sort of generic bridge over some uneven ground. The ice maker room was not easily noticed, and upon opening the door, it was pitch dark until I found a light switch.
All in all it was an enjoyable stay, and I would not hesitate to stay there again however I would certainly urge the proprietor to provide better lighting on the end that stairwell as well as on the path to the ice machine on the opposite end of the building. Having been the Maggie Valley dozens of times over the last 30 of 40 years, I was not concerned for my safety walking in the dark end of the property for the ice machine. However I can fully understand my wives' concern as it did seem to be located in an isolated end of the hotel property. The owners may not share this same perspective having lived there for many years, but to a guest whom had not visited there before, it was a shadowy and cautious walk to the ice machine.

Room Tip: Maggie Valley draws a lot of weekend bikers for the fun rides in the area,. A room along the creek t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

An older motel, and I might have just driven by, looking for something more modern, if one of our friends had not already made reservations.

It is American owned and operated. Andy was friendly, and helpful as where to eat nearby.
A creek runs through the back of the property, and there is a Gazebo and Fire Pit.

Rooms though not Modern, were clean and comfortable.

Motorcycle Friendly.

Would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in back overlooking the creek.
Eatonton, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Stayed at Valley Inn two nights with friends on motorcycles. Our room was clean and faced the creek. Andy has swings, chairs, gazebo and fire pit setup on the creek..a great place to visit, relax and enjoy nature. Good location..plenty of food choices nearby. Drinks, snacks and ice avail at the office at a reasonable price.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

our visit to smokies this weekend was a last minute planning..so there was no time to hunt for a cabin. the highlight of our trip was a train ride from Bryson city, so was looking of stay options there. but all the good and decent hotels/motels and B&B's were booked! while looking for alernate options read about Maggie Valley. approx 50 mins from Bryson city, a real small town with a charm of its own. after reading through alot of reviews we decided to stay at the Valley Inn. i called up the immediately and luckiy he had just 2 rooms left. we booked for a queen bed.. and were given the room no 47.. on the first floor by the creek side! i should be honest, this was our first time at staying at a small motel. but as we pulled in we were more than surprised at our ignorance. the place was nice, neat and well maintained. Andy was there in the office room to greet us and give us a quick info about the dining options around. the room was just sufficient for us for the night. there was a queen bed, extra pillows and blankets. a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and a smal tv. Andy was nice enough to actually have switched on the heater in the room well before we arrived, so it was nice and warm. the bathroom was neat and had sufficient towels stacked. it was everything we'd need for a decent price. i wouldnt say a negative point, we arent used to the spring box matrix, so that was the only lil unfavourable part of the stay.
right outside the room was the creek, we could hear it from inside itself. there was a gazebo, a camp fire pit, some swings and sufficient chairs for guests to sit.
the morning was my fav part of the stay, we got some coffee and donuts from NutMeg cafe, and sat by the creek side on the swings enjoying the prestine morn! its just something else to sit by ad listen to the watre flow sipping some hot coffee!
we sure will visit Valley Inn again when we are in the smokies!

Room Tip: ask for a creekside room!
CUMMING, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

The Valley Inn is a wonderful place to kick back and relax. The rooms are clean and our rooms were right on the creek. There are rocking chairs on the porches and swings on the creekside to sit and watch the world go by. There is a fire pit for building a fire and talking over the days adventures at night. We loved this place and will stay there again. The owners were friendly and very the motel was very afforable. There were 8 in our group and everyone said it was the place to stay in Maggie Valley.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the creek
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Valley Inn offers a quiet, relaxing place to stay. We slept with the windows up and listened to the creek. Rooms are a little on the old side but for the price its unbeatable. The inn is owned by a very nice couple that were very helpful and thorough when cleaning the rooms.

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Have stayed here many times and last weekend was perfect as always. Clean rooms. Soft luxurious towels and sheets. Andy always makes sure you have everything you need for a comfortable stay. He even provided marshmallows and roasting sticks for the campfire. Very motorcycle friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Valley Inn? Share your experiences!