“Not what we expected...just a motel!” 2 of 5 stars

Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4324 Soco Road (U.S. Highway 19), Maggie Valley, NC   |
Ranked #3 of 26 hotels in Maggie Valley
Brandon
“Not what we expected...just a motel!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is more like a motel...just has a second floor that you have to get to by walking up stairs...no help with luggage. We made our reservation for two nights based on reviews through Trip Advisor. I spoke with someone at the "Inn"...have no idea why it is called this. I was asked if we wanted a creek-side room with a screened in porch. I said yes; I did not have a clue that could be upstairs. When we got there and were given an upstairs room, I was floored. As I was going up the stairs, my luggage fell all the way to the bottom. A maintenance man came out of a room, hearing the noise, and offered to help us...which he did. He knew I was distraught with the situation so he went downstairs and talked with the registration person, Alice. He came back, got us, and went with us to get a room change. She was, extremely, unhappy, and her face, her voice, and her demeanor showed that. She said I should have talked with someone at the "Inn" and not booked online...which is, exactly, what I did. I never said that to her because I was so angry by this time. We wound up with a downstairs, handicap room....1 double bed and a sleeper sofa. The rooms are small, anyway, so it was, definitely, crowded. We stayed our two nights because of our carefully prepared plans. However, we will NEVER stay here again, and we will tell anyone we know traveling in this area to "move on."

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
caribret, Owner at Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
We are sorry you did not meet your expectations. We strive to make everyone happy and are truly upset when we fail to do that. We do recommend calling our motel direct for reservations because of the uniqueness of our property. Unfortunately third party reservations services while providing a very valuable service to both the hotels and their guests often are not able to make recommendations and find out exactly what the guest is looking for. Many of our guests prefer the upstair rooms because they tend to be quieter and offer both better mountain and creek views. If a guest has the need for help with luggage or other items we are always more then happy to help. Unfortunately when you stayed we were running very full and the options were limited when we found out you were not happy with your location. October, because of the beautiful fall leaves, is always a peak time. We checked your reservation and we could not find any special requests for location. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Maggie Valley and return to our beautiful spot in the mountains. Once again our apologizes for not meeting all of your expectations.

253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was a nice clean room, very quiet, on a rushing creek and convenient location. I loved that it was across from Joey pancake house, a favorite stop in Maggie! Very friendly desk people. I enjoyed visiting Waynesville down town, which was nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Gastonia, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is my favorite place to stay when going through Maggie Valley. The Inn sits beside a creek and the rooms open up to the creek which provides a restful sound and relaxing environment. The rooms are simple but clean. However, due to the Inn surrounding the parking lot it can be noisy at times.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is creek side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrollton, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We came through the National Park and stopped here before our drive on the Blue Ridge Highway. We didn't get to our room until dinner time. Room was roomy and had a back door outside by the river. Everything was clean and comfortable. The next morning my husband and I were able to enjoy the deck over the river. We got coffee and hot chocolate from the office and sat out over the river while enjoying our breakfast (which was leftovers from the plentiful dinner at Frankie's the night before). Would have loved to have spent more time relaxing by the river but had to get on with our road trip.

Room Tip: Some rooms have screened in porches. Our did not and I would recommend spending the extra money for...
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed last week at the Jonathan Creek Inn in Maggie Valley during the motorcycle ralley and had a wonderful stay. The hotel rooms are big, clean and ours had both a jacuzzi and fireplace. A relaxing, peaceful place to stay.

Clarkton, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I stopped here for the night on our way to Gatlinburg, Tenn for a few days. We just loved it. We had the handicapp room which was perfect for him because of some health issues. We could walk to breakfast the next morning. The room was very clean and the bed slept really good. We plan to go back tto Jonathan Creek soon!

Room Tip: If you need special assistance they are more than happy to accomdate if possible. The handicapp bat...
Hampton Roads, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here on our way to Tennessee. We arrived without reservations, but selected the Jonathan Creek Inn based on other Tripadvisor reviews and I was not dissapointed. The double room we recieved was on the second floor with a creek view. While not an issue for us, note to others who may care that there is no elevator or interior hallways at this establishment. The beds were very comfortable and room nicely laid out and appointed. Unfortunately, the weather was rainy, so we did not use the deck access off the room, but opening the window on the back door allowed the restful sound of rushing water to lull us to sleep that night. The desk clerk was very helpful offering a fantastic suggestion for dinner and also recommending a better parking space than where I had initially stopped due to concerns about the children using the playground and the safety of my car.

The parking area is small so finding a spot on an end or away from others is difficult, but the rest of the guests seemed to be car/ bike enthusiats like us or the very least, better mannered than the average shopping mall denizen. Other than the kids running up and down the covered balcony upon our return from dinner, we had no complaints and I would not hesitate to choose the Jonathan Creek Inn again for future stays.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas? Share your experiences!