“Great Seafood, A Few Minutes from I-95” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 75 Restaurants in Lumberton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Clifton Park, NY
“Great Seafood, A Few Minutes from I-95”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was our second visit to Pier 41 (see below for our first review...posted elsewhere and copied here). Our experience this year was exactly as before. The place was full of locals and the staff was friendly as ever. Sweet tea was just right and we needed a refill on our Hushpuppies they were so good.

I couldn't resist the fried oysters again although I mixed in some scallops. Both were cooked perfectly and were fresh. My wife got the broiled oysters which, I must admit, were even better than the fried. The portion was huge. I think she got 4 dozen oysters on her plate. It's easy to over cook oysters...but these weren't. I'm going to change my order for our visit next year.

If you're on I-95 near Lumberton at dinner time, take the very short trip to Pier 41. You'll be happy you did.

**************************
March 2012 Review...

Driving through NC on I-95, we had a strong desire for some local seafood. We did a search on our smartphone and found Pier 41. When we drove up on a Friday evening, the parking lot was full, so we thought we might have found the right place. We were not disappointed.

What first struck us was the unassuming dining room. No pretension here...this was a friendly place, populated by locals. It seemed everyone knew someone. We sat right away (while the lot was full, service is quick so they are constantly turning over their tables) and were greeted by a friendly server. Hushpuppies came out quickly and were wonderful. Just a little sweet, and not greasy.

My wife and I couldn't resist getting fried oysters, our favorite. The portions were generous (I got the large order, my wife got the small). These were among the best I've had, and I've had plenty of fried oysters in my 50 years of eating. They were crispy but not burnt. The bellies were cooked but not slimy.

The owner came and sat with us for a few minutes and we talked basketball :). He told us about the community and some of the interesting people he serves every week. And of the busboy that he helped grow up a little with some gentle mentoring - and is now a soldier in the Army (the young man was eating at a nearby table).

The experience was topped off by a friendly local that caught us in the parking lot and, seeing our out of state plates, encouraged us to watch our for crazies on the highway. All in all a great experience. One we will repeat next time through Lumberton.

Steve R, Owner at Pier 41 Seafood, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Peter
I really appreciate your review. I am glad you and your wife enjoyed the seafood so much and I agree that the broiled Oysters are even better. We look forward to your next trip through.

new york
“Good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were stopping in Lumberton on our way to FL so I read Trip Adviser reviews and went to Pier 41. Very popular place, really a local, family place. Had very good food and somehow(!) people around us could tell we were from NY. A group stopped by the table to welcome us and people talked to us from other tables. Someone we later found out was the owner was sitting talking with people at another table then came over to us. When he found out we hadn't had the popcorn-type shrimp, he gave us an order and it was light and delicious. Just be aware that there is no alcohol served or brought in. The owner told us he wants the restaurant to have a family atmosphere and that alcohol does not always promote that feeling. And the restaurant was packed with local families. But they may have to wait on line when all these reviews get around!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Steve R, Owner at Pier 41 Seafood, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Hey guys
Thank you for writing a great review for us. We are glad you enjoyed both the food and the Southern Hospitality!! I don't know how we knew you were not from around here, just a lucky guess! Hopefully we will see you again on your next trip south.
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

After seeing reviews here we expected more than average food. My broiled plate was ok but my wife's fried plate was served cold. Prices are low. Place seems to be local favorite with big takeout business. There is no wine or beer served.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Steve R, Owner at Pier 41 Seafood, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Good morning,
I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your visit. We custom cook all plates to order so the issue of food that is not hot should not have happened. Please accept my apology. Hopefully we will get the chance to serve you again and you have my word that we will work hard to exceed your expectations.
Marstons Mills, Massachusetts
“Excellent Fried Seafood Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

My wife and I stopped for dinner on our way home from Florida, after seeing the reviews on TripAdvisor. It was Friday evening, the restaurant was full, and we waited about 20 minutes for a table. It was worth the wait. The fried shrimp and catfish dinner and hush puppies were fresh, lightly battered, and delicious. The restaurant staff was very friendly and welcoming, although we were one of only a few people dining that were not locals.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Steve R, Owner at Pier 41 Seafood, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Frank
Thanks for the great review. We enjoyed serving you and your wife the other day and also enjoyed visiting with you. Hopefully we will see you on your next trip south. Have a wonderful day.
Steve
Brooklyn, New York
“Excellent Fried seafood.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stopped here while traveling 95. This place is a large room with florescent lights. Most of the patrons are local and have probable been coming here for years. The fried fish was well prepared. The hush pupies are made with white flour. This is basically your best choice. Fried Fish, colesslaw, fries and hush pupies. The meal was incredible cheap. The owner came over and sat with us and we talked about life. We had a great evening and we felt we got a real sense of life in small town North Carolina. No liquor, sweet tea and soda.

Steve R, Owner at Pier 41 Seafood, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Hey guys
Thanks for the great review. I also enjoyed the time with you and look forward to your next trip down. Hopefully the snow will leave you alone!
Steve