“Beautiful Inn” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Switzerland Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Switzerland
Switzerland Inn
You added Switzerland Inn to your Saves list
86 High Ridge Road, Little Switzerland, NC 28749   |
raleigh, north carolina
“Beautiful Inn”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

Myself, my spouse, and 2 college-age kids stayed at this inn for 3 nights during the second weekend in October. My wife and myself have stayed at this inn many times over the last 25 years with and without kids and have never been disappointed. This is the first time we stayed in the lodge with a parking lot view which was OK. We prefer to stay in Alpine or Heidi but they have been remodeled to sleep only 2 people. Chanticleer is also great for larger families. The views are great as is the food in the restaurant. Breakfast is no longer included in the room rate but is still excellent. We did not try the prime rib and seafood buffet because we thought it was too expensive at $32 but their regular menu items were very good. The only complaint we have is the computer in the lobby didn't work because of viruses but nobody seemed to know how to fix the problem.
We will always look forward to going back to the Switzerland Inn for the views, food, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and probably most of all the peaceful time spent in the lobby with the fireplace.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Stayed at the Inn on a Sunday night in October. The room was very nice with a great view of the mountains. Mountain view rooms on the second floor have small balconies which is wonderful for viewing the scenery. Beds could use some updating to the new more comfortable mattresses or they should put foam toppers on the current mattresses which would improve the sleeping experience. Wall heating/AC unit in the room was not very quiet but not overly bothersome to sleep. Ate dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and enjoyed both meals very much. Very good food and service. Small shops adjacent to the inn had some good finds in local craft items. Overall a very good place to stay in the mountains, would go there again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Warkworth, Ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

We arrived in a pouring rain after biking all day on the Parkway, we were made to feel welcome despite our soaking wet looks. The restaurant and bar had great food and sold us beer to take back to our rooms. Great breakfast in the morning. The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We stayed at Switzerland Inn for a family wedding. Thank you Switzerland Inn for making our visit so memorable! Our family group size was around 223 from ages 3 to senior. It was an amazing time! The grounds were absolutely beautiful with all the vibrant colorful flowers and blooming bushes all aorund. The food, service, and friendly staff/management was excellent. The rooms were so spacious and the variety of rooms and cottages provided a best choice for each families needs. With a wide range of ages in our group, no one was bored. Plenty of room for the kids to play on the grounds, swim, shuffelboard. The views were amazing!!! The mountains always change in color and light always displaying a new scene. Adults enjoyed the beautiful lobby overlooking the mountains, the outdoor bar area, resting by the pool, and taking in a beautiful sunrise & sunset from the rooms and grounds. Buffet on Friday was excellent and the crab was plentiful. Square dance for all was held on Saturday night(s) and for $5/person, all had a great time! There is so much to do in this area. We hiked Linville Falls, visited the Altapass Orchard, enjoyed the parkway, and look forward to returning to visit Mt. Mitchell and Emerald Village nearby. Looking forward to return for a family celebration next August to celebrate Switzerland's 101 years along with our families 1st wedding anniversary.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
El Paso, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

We took a small excursion and went here to eat lunch...It was delightful! We have actually visited Switzerland itself and was somewhat disappointed they didn't offer genuine Swiss-type meals (schniztel perhaps?), but still the food was delicious. I had the home-made chicken salad which comes on a bed of fruit and lettuce. YUMMY! It is the perfect light meal in the middle of the day. My kids and husband also enjoyed their meals and it was reasonably priced. We ate outside at the end of July and it was very pleasant, even in the middle of the day...My husband and I hope to return to stay at the Inn itself, perhaps by ourselves....:)

**Don't miss the "Little Switzerland Book Store"...It is a large, never-ending used book store that deserves attention. We all found great deals in there and the character of the store itself can't be beat....see if you can find the grate in the floor showing the creek running underneath it!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

The rooms are comfortable, the views are magnificient, the staff is friendly and helpful! The Friday night seafood and prime rib buffet is absolutely wonderful! I can't think of a single thing to complain about.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

My newlywed wife and I have been to the Switzerland Inn many times while dating, it is one of our favorite places on Earth! So when we got engaged, we honestly didn't seriously consider anywhere else, other than perhaps a cursory inspection of other options. We love the mountains, and knew we wanted to get married along the Blue Ridge Parkway. There is nowhere that I have found that is more perfect for hosting a wedding than the Switzerland Inn. When you step out on the front lawn on the main grounds that first time, you know instantly that this is a special place, and that is BEFORE you meet the staff, a staff who confirms every time you interact with them how special it is indeed.

I cannot say enough about the staff, they are by far the friendliest resort staff I have ever met. From the owner Gary, whom we dealt with directly while planning for the wedding, to the top-notch chefs, to the wait and bar staff, to the grounds crew, EVERYONE made us feel almost like we were celebrities. My wedding guests raved about how well they were treated by everyone. The staff does whatever it takes to get the job done to take care of their guests. For example, I saw the 2 head chefs helping to set up the chairs for the wedding on the lawn. The pastry chef Miles (who by the way makes unbelievably delicious desserts) also serves as the restaurant host and worked as a server at our rehearsal dinner!

If I had to describe the Inn in one word, I would use the word 'charm.' If you are looking for an ultra-modern, trendy, sleek place, this is not the place for you. The Switzerland Inn is about warmth; it's about old world charm; it's about comfort, and class, and top-notch service.

And the food...oh the food. I lost count of the number of wedding guest that told us how great the food was all weekend. Not just at the reception, but at breakfast, at lunch, the bar menu, etc. For the rehearsal dinner, we fed our guests the weekly Friday night Prime Rib & Seafood buffet, and let me tell ya, we were some happy folks. The seafood tasted so fresh I would have thought there was an ocean out behind the inn. The prime rib was perfect. The crab legs, the frog legs, the chowder, everything was delicious! And this was all BEFORE we hit the dessert table. I have three words to describe how good the dessert spread was: Oh. My. God. If I had to say something negative, it would be that the desserts were so good, and there were so many to choose from, that I almost didn't fit into my wedding suit the next day!

The bottom line is that this was the best weekend of my life. Everything went so smoothly thanks to the staff, and they honestly made my wife and I feel almost like we were celebrities. Probably the best compliment I heard from my wedding guests was how they couldn't wait to come back to the Switzerland Inn. My wife and I feel the same way, and made reservations when we checked out to spend our 1st anniversary right there in Little Switzerland.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Switzerland Inn? Share your experiences!