“Outstanding facility and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Switzerland Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Switzerland
Switzerland Inn
You added Switzerland Inn to your Saves list
86 High Ridge Road, Little Switzerland, NC 28749   |
Marietta, Georgia
“Outstanding facility and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed at the Switzerland Inn on our motorcycle trip through the Blue Ridge Parkway. The facility is wonderful with a great restaurant and the rooms were large, clean and inviting. The facility grounds are spectacular, with views from the back of the Inn that overlook mountains and valleys in the BRP. It was one of the best nights of our trip and I'll now try to find ways to get back! Very motorcycle friendly as well.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

I brought my wife and two children to the mountains of Little Switzerland because I had ventured there as a young man. As you can imagine, my children and wife were moaning and groaning about leaving their iPods, iPads, iPhones, and iMacs behind in order to have a family adventure in the mountains of North Carolina. Upon arrival, the entire family was surprised to find an iPod dock, free WiFi, and a beautiful mountain view! My wife and I enjoyed glasses of wine at the resort's outdoor bar, while our children spent time at the pool and hot tubs! We later met up for a doubles tennis and faced off in shuffleboard with a view . The food at the Chalet Restaurant was fantastic and the service was even better. Thank you Switzerland Inn & Chalet Restaurant for a wonderful, much needed family getaway! The Chambers clan will be back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011 via mobile

After a long drive, this was a great place to stop.

• Stayed May 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

I have traveled to Little Switzerland before as part of a writing program that meets in the summer a little ways down the mountain. That’s how I knew the Inn was there – wedged in between a gorgeous view of the surrounding mountain range and a cute one-post-office village just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had eaten in their restaurant and even swam in their pool as a guest of friends who stayed there, and wandered down the hill to browse one of the finest used book stores on the eastern seaboard.

So when I needed a couple of nights in a hotel before the start of a spring writer’s program, I chose the Little Switzerland Inn and invited a few friends to join me there for the weekend. When I arrived, the weather had gone from spring to summer in a few hours – which can sometimes happen in the unpredictable mountain ranges. The clerk checked me in immediately, and while I didn’t have one of the rooms with a view, the accommodations were spacious and comfortable, and the bathroom was recently renovated. I do recommend getting a mountain view – I will remember to ask for that next time!

There are old fashioned hotels; there are historical hotels; there are chain hotels; there are boutique hotels and there are retro hotels. When I stay in Asheville, I go to the Hotel Indigo at the edge of the city for its boutique sophistication. When I went to Little Switzerland, I wanted local authenticity and a hotel that blends with the atmosphere. The Little Switzerland Inn is a non-chain, retro hotel with a boutique attitude, steeped in local history and boasting one of the coolest little bars that I have ever had the pleasure to shut down. That Saturday night we talked with bikers from Pennsylvania, a wedding party from Michigan, and even the owners as we listened to local talent – including the bartender Val – who sounds like a southern Janis Joplin.

There’s a slower pace at the hotel so that you feel relaxed when you come back from a hike or a gem searching expedition, or after browsing the Soap Shed up near Spruce Pine. It’s the sort of place where you can see teenagers turn off their electronic devices and laugh as they push a shuffle board stick, or hear the clank of horseshoes against metal poles and see a wedding party complete with a bagpiper as you take an afternoon swim. In the evening you can play board games or do a puzzle and watch a storm break across the mountain range from the picture windows at the end of the hotel lobby. If you’re lucky, you can visit with the night clerk (Brian), a train aficionado who is skilled in the local oral history known as “Appalachian Storytelling.” Ask him about the bears and the kettle corn.

I have traveled worldwide – the Little Switzerland pool is one of my favorites. They heat it if necessary and there are two hot tubs for soaking after a long hike. As you swim to the edge when the sun is setting, the skyline breaks into bright orange, magenta and purple bursts. I could have spent all day at the pool if there hadn’t been some wonderful hikes to waterfalls and secluded ranges. The clerk supplied me with directions to nearby treks and offered suggestions for other excursions like horseback riding.

I’m from the DC area and there aren’t that many of us who venture so far south since we have our own Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains. But for those who do, it’s worth the trip. Go there if you want to feel the lost sense of yester-year or because you want to relax, or because you just want to see the beauty that the mountains offer. Sit back and drink in the rustic atmosphere and have a mojito while you do it – or a glass of sweet iced tea…and listen to the music.

Room Tip: Ask for the Mountain view!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Stayed for the weekend two weeks ago with my wife and 8 year old. Staff was friendly and courteous, room was clean, and the views were beautiful. Eat at the restaurant several times and the food and portions were good. Would highly recommend this hotel for a weekend getaway or vacation. Looking forward to visiting again.

FC

Burnsville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

The Switzerland Inn is a hidden gem. There is immediate access to the Blue Ridge Parkway and all of its amenities, but with the views at the Inn, you don't need to leave to experience them. With the Inn, Restaurant, and Lounge all located in one place, it is the ideal setting for group events. We had friends and family come in from all over and all were amazed at the beauty of this place. The staff goes above and beyond to make it the most enjoyable experience. The wedding buffet was unlike any you will experience, the food and selection is outstanding. I highly recommend this place for any of your most important events or just for a quick weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with the view.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Our stay at the Switzerland Inn was wonderful. Beautiful views, relaxed atmosphere and a very welcoming and helpful staff made our visit very relaxing and enjoyable. We enjoyed the Great Room in the evening with a crackling fire, checkers, puzzles comfortable chairs for catching up with friends and planning the next day's adventure. Right on the Parkway it was so convenient for seeing the sights. We highly recommend the Switzerland Inn and hope to visit again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room to enjoy the beautiful view.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Switzerland Inn? Share your experiences!