“Charming little Inn with great hosts...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Skyline Village Inn & Cavern Tavern

You added Skyline Village Inn & Cavern Tavern to your Saves list
Skyline Village Inn & Cavern Tavern
12255 NC Hwy. 226A, Milepost 331, Between Little Switzerland and Spruce Pine, Little Switzerland, NC 28777   |
Pilot Mountain
“Charming little Inn with great hosts...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

If you're looking for a great place to stay with the greatest view of the mountains I've ever seen short of travelling to the Swiss Alps, this is it. The rooms are clean, the beds are very comfortable and the rooms are quiet as well. The Inn was full of guests on the weekend we stayed here but you would never have known it. The restaurant is excellent and the food is well prepared and modestly priced. Included in the package is a continental breakfast that was very satisfying and prepared us well for our day of activity. Many thanks to Mike and his lovely wife for a wonderful stay. We will definitely come back and recommend it to others as well.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

We came to this area to go gem mining. We brought our kids, 15 and 10. What an awsome place, the Inn made a huge difference in our overall trip. The view is out of this world! The owners are wonderful, they make you feel like old friends. It's very rustic and reminded me of places I've stayed in Germany. Beds were comfty and bathrooms were clean. Had a fridge in the room. A lot of impressive wood work and tile. It was quiet and peaceful. They had healthy breakfast options which were included with room stay. The lounge has a pool table (10 year old) and we received internet through entire building (15 year old loved). We ate lunch at the cavern on the deck, the burgers were excellent and the service was super. At night the owner open the store back up so my husband could pick out a beer and in the morning he showed us where the moonshine stillery was. There's a lot more to do in this area then we thought. We are planning to go back again and stay at the Inn. We wouldn't stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

While traveling on the blue Ridge Parkway the Skyline Village Inn was a scheduled stop on our trip. When I booked the rooms I was intruiged by the location and history behind the Inn. We were not disapointed. The decor was unique, the rooms were clean and cozy. Being our first trip on the Parkway we found ourselves running late because of all the sites to see. We called Mike to advise him of our late arrival.. We had planed on eating supper at the Inn but arriving very late we had all but given up that idea. To our amazement, Mike and his staff waited on us to arrive, cooked us dinner and made sure we were comfortable. He and his staff went above and beyond any customer service we have ever received. We highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

The owners are wonderful and friendly! This was a perfect weekend. We stayed here and ate lunch and dinner here every day. The food was amazing. Limited menu but everything we got was incredible. They had a sandwich called "salmon salad sandwich" which I was curious about and it turned out to be one of the best sandwiches I had ever had.

The rooms were very nice. Kind of a cabin feel to them. Very clean, hard wood floors, and a balcony with an amazing view.

This weekend was the grand opening of their rock shop and gem mine. The rock shop was really nice and I bought so many rocks. I was really surprised when I did the gem mining there too. The bucket I bought had more gems than anywhere else I had ever been. Basically the whole bucket was full of great gems. I was able to get them cut into beautiful jewelry too. Overall a perfect weekend! :)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I was only at the Skyline for one night, but it was memorable for the wonderful balcony and the very comfortable Adirondack chairs that the owners spared no expense in replacement for the cheap plastic chairs I understand had been there before. I had a good book, a sunset, a cool breeze, and an incredible view while sitting alone; drinking a micro-brewed root beer the very friendly lady of the house provided me at no charge since the store had closed already. I can only say I am sorry my stay was so short, and I didn't get the opportunity to take advantage of the restaurant. You could not feel more like a respected guest of the family as opposed to just somebody booking a room for the night.

As for some of the negative reviews, they are outdated, and a lot of money, time, and effort have gone into the still-ongoing renovations. But there are some things about the rooms that can't be changed without tearing the place down and starting from scratch. They are small, and old. But some people very much enjoy getting away from the modern in favor of places with rustic charm, even if it means a smaller bathroom and no elevators.

Now, I'm going to send this review off and book a room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

The owners of the Skyline were extremely hospitable. The place is rich in mountain history as well as conveniently located just steps from the Blue Ridge parkway. The beer and wine selection is amazing and the view can not be beat. Mike (the owner) has built a very nice covered area for motorcycle parking. No covers needed here. If traveling by motorcycle, Mike also has a book of some suggested day rides. We did one and I can't wait to get back there in the fall and do the same ride as leaves are changing

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

We came with several friends and everyone had a great time. There is covered parking in the back for motorcycles, a great view, and the rooms were small but comfortable. Mike and Lynn were both very friendly and made you feel right at home. They served a dinner of salmon and bbq ribs on the deck with a live band for only $10. It was well worth the money!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Skyline Village Inn & Cavern Tavern? Share your experiences!