“Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 16 things to do in Lexington
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Very disappointed in the Bistro. The service and management has definitely gone down within the last 4-6 months. Waitresses are not knowledgable on wines, service slow, management rude when we sent our food back from not being done, tables around our table were left dirty during 75% of our meal.... Not what you would expect from a true winery. I have been coming for years . It has lost it's luster.I will be going elsewhere for dining from now on. As for management, very rude &unprofessional. If Richard Childress wants a winning team, I would hope that who he chooses for these positions would be better suited! Very Disappointing.

6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Location However, VERY pricey!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

The grounds of this winery are absolutely stunning as is the building that houses the retail area and tasting. There was a lot that was left to be desired after that. First off, if you want to taste the non-wine drinker's wines it is $12 and you get to keep your crystal glass. If you would like the real wine drinkers tasting it will set you back $15 (part of the reason I gave a 3 rating is because the glass for the $15 wine tasting was actually really nice). This tasting allows you to taste their "barrel select" wines instead of the muscadine wine in the other tasting. The wines were ok, there were a few we really liked however most of them didnt warrant their price tag and the pours are VERY small! There were several other people having tastings at the same time as us, the girl behind the counter was super sweet (another part of the 3 rating) however, they really needed some extra help behind the tasting counter. All and all it wasnt terrible but, it wasnt great either we were there on a Tuesday so I can only imagine what it is like on the weekend. Honestly, I prefer the wine and some of the experiences we have had at other wineries over Childress.

Visited May 2013
new york
14 attraction reviews
“A nice day at the vineyard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I will be posting a separate review for the Bistro.

My husband and I spent a wonderful Saturday at the vineyard. We signed up for the 1 o'clock tour which was with a large group of people. I must say I expected a bit more out of the tour as it was very short and we did not see much. Our tour guide, who was very nice, let us know that there were events going on that day and we would not be able to see some of the normal spots. They did not have any live music that day since that does not start until sometime in May.

The shop was quite nice with an interesting ride me of items to choose from.

We did a wine tasting and ( I did the $15 dry wine tasting while my husband did the $12 sweet wine tasting) We both thoroughly enjoyed each. They have a chocolate shot, for $2.50 ( separate and apart from the price of the wine tasting) which I highly recommend trying. We were lucky enough to have two very nice individuals next to us, one was celebrating her birthday. They treated us to a round of the dessert shots and we returned the favor. I think we actually might have made two nice new good friends.

Haley, who was our wine tasting hostess was very nice and quite informative and knowledgeable about all of the wines. She made our wine tasting experience a very nice one. We wound up signing up for a club membership and received a beautiful gift, plus a bunch of wines right on the spot. We can't wait to find out about all of the upcoming events and to receiving some very nice wines in the future.

The building is beautiful as are the grounds and you can easily spend a very nice long leisurely day there. Live music which will start in May will only add to the experience and we look forward to returning early this summer to check it out.

Bermuda Run, NC
8 attraction reviews
“Great place to take guests.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We took our friends from Florida and they were impressed with everything about the vineyard, the grounds are wonderful and they have done a wonderful job bringing Tuscany to NC. We had lunch that included chicken salad, turkey, and chicken sandwiches. Soup was sweet pea. Everything was excellent with great taste. Our company loved their coffee after lunch and waitress packed a few bags for them to take home, very nice touch.

Gloucester, Massachusetts
15 attraction reviews
“Lunch with Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Looking for something to do while visiting family in NC, we took a trip to Childress.
WOW!!! What a beautiful place. Looking forward to visiting again when vines are bursting with grapes! Service beyond excellent and the same for food!

Visited March 2013