“Fantastic BBQ on the run” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 43 Restaurants in Leland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: Old South BBQ proudly uses Duke’s secret recipes which have a long history of being the best in the south for generations. The pit cooked, hickory flavored pulled pork is delicious and our now famous fried chicken is out of this world! Please stop by for lunch or dinner and try us out.
“Fantastic BBQ on the run”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I was passing by looking for a place to grab a quick bite. My choice to stop at Dukes could not have been a better one. The staff were all incredibly friendly, even informing me on the whole process in which they cook their great barbecue. All of the food was great and the barbecue was even memorable. Everything seemed to be very home made. This place is definitely worth a visit.

• Visited August 2013

North Carolina
“Worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Duke's is worth the trip over the bridge from Wilmington. I went the first time with a friend from Leland who insisted Duke's had the best barbecue pork around. He was right! I've been back 3 times since and it's not just for the bbq. The fried chicken is hard to beat. Crispy outside and juicy inside. The bbq hash and rice is as good as any I've had at other bbq houses in SC. All the vegetables remind me of Sunday dinner at Mom's. I think the baked beans are the best I've had anywhere. The bbq is moist and flavorful and there's no need for sauce. I have tried the SC style mustard sauce and the NC vinegar sauce on the side and both are outstanding. Though I was raised on NC sauce I can't resist Duke's mustard sauce.
At under $11 per person the buffet is a true bargain. The only thing I regret is I never leave enough room for the banana pudding.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wilmington, NC
“Best BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The best buffet food anywhere. Fried and BBQ chicken off the hook. Hush puppies were light and tasty. Banana pudding is better than grandmas.

• Visited June 2013
No.Carolina
“Best BBQ in Wilmington Area!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place has got to be one of the best kept secrets in the Wilmington area! This IS the real deal! There is the choice of their buffet or you can order a plate. They just started to serve ribs that you may order by the plate, 1/2 slab, or full slab. Everything is made from scratch on site and you can taste the passion that Pit Master David has put into everything. They have absolutely fantastic BBQ (That is smoked pulled pork shoulder for all you non-southern folks), BBQ Ribs, fried chicken, BBQ chicken, pork hash, Mac-N-Chese, black eyed peas, green beans, coleslaw, tater salad. And... to top off the tank at the end Banana Pudding. Prices are EXTREMELY reasonable. Everything is very clean! The staff is very friendly and helpful. This is a MUST DO for anyone visiting or living in the Wilmington / Leland area. It is very easy to get to and looks very unassuming from the road. In fact if you are not looking for it, you could pass right by.

I know that once word gets out about this place it will become a local favorite.

My wife and I have "date lunch" on Fridays while our sons are in school. One morning we read an article in our local paper profiling David and his wife. We thought that we would give it a try and it was love at first bite. By far this place is the best BBQ and to be honest best fried chicken restaurant that I have been to in a while. We travel from North Wilmington to Dukes and it really takes hardly any time at all taking MLK to get around town to get to Leland.

Tonight we brought our two sons and one of their friends with us for dinner to celebrate the end of the school year and once again it was FABULOUS!!! Great food for the entire family!!!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very clean place Friendly staff with fresh BBQ and sides”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Very friendly staff and extremely clean place. Good BBQ and liked the potatoe salad. Give you a whole pitcher of ice tea

• Visited May 2013