“It was just average” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Laurinburg
Baltimore, Ohio
“It was just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Hotel was clean, mattress and pillows could use some upgrading. Rooms had too much furniture to get around with a king bed. I called down to ask about a TV guide and the front desk said they had them, but no offer to bring me one, just asked what was I looking for? Not much use for the guests at the front desk. Breakfast area with nice and big. Attendant didn't speak to any guests. Usually at most they are very friendly and make you feel at home. No sausage the day we were there. Front desk check in gave directions for restaurant for guests in front us quiet a few miles a way. He then told us about a place down the street. Luckily I had reviewed Trip Advisor ahead and we experienced a wonderful local restaurant "215 on Main" - see reviews. There was a place for a hand out for restaurants in the community, but none available. The desk clerk also was not aware of community activites - we were in for the Nascar Truck Race and he didn't know until he came to work that it was even going on. We would probably stay again, since choices are so slim in small town area. Safe area and Walmart and chain restaurant next door.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Laurinburg, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear MardiKev,

Thank you for staying with us. Your feed back is very important to us. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. We do not think of ourselves as "basic" or average, as we strive to be the best. Your comments will be shared with the appropriate departments. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

Katie J
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Granite Falls, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We were in the area for a motorcross race in February. OUr toilet in the room did not work. When we called the front desk we were told maintance would be up to fix it. An hour later we called back to front desk to be told the front desk attendants had changed and no one had told him. We were then told we would have to come to desk and get a plunger and plunge it ourselves. In the morning when we went down to breakfast the ladies bathroom in the hall had overflowed and sewage and toilet paper was all over the bathroom floor. The staff was very unfriendly and when we return for the next race we DEFINITELY will not be staying at Holiday INN Express

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful with directions and eating recommendations. The rooms were clean and quiet which considering the hotel was full was amazing. Although not the most modern hotel have stayed in everything was fine and worked. Mattress was soft and prefer a hard but that is personal choice. The breakfast had variety and was slightly different on the 2 days which was nice. Down side was no fresh fruit but still a good value with lots of choices.
Would stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Had stayed here in the past and was quite impressed with everything. Not this time.

Apparently, not ALL the rooms are fresh and new. I stayed in one of the old ones this time. The plunger next to the toilet (the whole stay, so it wasn't like someone forgot it) really set the tone. Room was old style Holiday Inn. Vintage TV, vintage carpet, vintage hand made closet fixtures. Peeling wallpaper.

It's a perfectly adequate hotel. Staff was friendly and responsive, including a couple of special requests. Bed was comfortable. Couch was comfortable, but stained and in need of replacement. I could have lived with the 1980's TV -- I still have one of these at home -- except you could only see it from the bed. Could not rotate it sufficiently to see it from the nice little sofa/coffee table area. AC worked well. Shower pressure was good. Place, including common areas, were pretty much clean and well maintained, though ice machine was broken during whole stay (maintenance man said you had to wiggle the chute to get ice).

If I stay here again, i will absolutely ask if one of their new rooms is available.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new rooms... it is hard to believe that the new rooms and the old rooms are in th...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Lexington, Kentucky
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Stayed here June 6 and 7, 2011 on business. Room was good size, but lack of maintenance and cleaning showed. Visible dust on all surfaces not regularly touched. Toilet loose, seat discolored and broken. Unpatched holes from previous mountings of shower rods. Slightly musty. Water stains on ceiling. 26" tube TV's (seriously?). Telephone by bed obviously broken and untouched for a long time. Alarm clock not working. If you need a place to sleep cheap ($115) this is it. If you're looking for more, stay away.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

I stayed at the Hampton in Laurinburg several weeks earlier and was a little concerned about the bad reviews of the Holiday Inn Express posted here, but the Hampton didn't have king sized beds available during this time period. so we tried the Holiday Inn Express.

It was actually very nice. The lobby is big, clean, and comfortable. Checkin was quick and without issue.

The rooms very nice. They were bigger than the average hotel room with a separate sofa and work area, a wet bar with fridge and microwave, and big jacuzzi tubs. Air conditioning worked properly. Room was clean. Bed was soft and cozy, and there was a large assortment of pillows.

Free breakfast was good, and staff was friendly. Nothing to write home about, but tried the sausage gravy and biscuits one morning and the cinnamon rolls the next, and both were good.

The hotel loses a few points on a few issues: first, the room temperature was set to 86 degrees and the heat was going full blast upon arrival. Cooled off eventually. Second, the matting in the tub is peeling around the edges. Hate that kind of thing. Third, internet speed varied from good to snail's pace. Always worked everywhere in the room, it just got very, very slow from time to time. Fourth, there is some upgrading overdue... the TV's were old, and as noted, stuff like peeling mat in the tub go unfixed. And fifth, actually having to check out??? I haven't had to do that in America in 20 years. Just slip the bill under the door, people.

Overall, though, this was a fine hotel and a fine stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010 via mobile

Since I travel for work, I have stayed in many Holiday Inn Express' and this is, by far, is the worst one I've ever seen. First, I reserved a nonsmoking room and when I walked into the room, there was an ashtray on the nightstand and a cigarette wrapper on the floor in the bathroom...nice. The room also had a nice stale smoke smell. Oh an I also noticed that I didn't have an alarm clock. I went down stairs and spoke with the receptionist. She said there were no more rooms left and that's fine but why didn't anyone tell me that there were no more nonsmoking rooms when I made the reservation or even when I checked in? Then, I asked for an alarm clock and she said they didn't have any. They ran out... A hotel ran out of alarm clocks... That's a first for me. She was nice enough to offer to schedule a wakeup call but I just like having a clock in the room. Finally, as I lay here writing this, there is a weird, musty, moldy smell coming from between the wall the the mattress. I tried switching beds since this room has double beds but the smell is coming from both. Gross... I can't wait to check out and never see this place again. ::shudder::

• Stayed October 2010

Been to Holiday Inn Express Laurinburg? Share your experiences!