“Nice mix of old and new” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Greystone Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Toxaway
The Greystone Inn
You added The Greystone Inn to your Saves list
Greystone Lane, Lake Toxaway, NC 28747   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 1 Lake Toxaway B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York
“Nice mix of old and new”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The Greystone Inn is charming and beautifully located. I stayed at the Hilmont, which I prefer to the Inn itself. The room was large, with a nice bathroom and a balcony that overlooked Lake Toxaway. The balcony, however, was not cleaned the three nights we stayed there. The surrounding areas are very scenic, and it is a peaceful and relaxing place. The meals were quite good. I enjoyed my stay and would certainly recommend the Inn to others.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

The property is lovely and the Inn charming. My husband and I stayed for three nights to take in some cooler climate, see fall leaves, hike and explore Asheville. Overall a very good stay and would recommend, but the Inn needs updating. The AC is a window unit that sounded like a jet engine, the TV was a small tube version (which was fine - we weren't in our room often), and although wireless is available, the signal is so weak, you are better off on your own cell service. Beds and linen should have been more upscale given the potential of the place and what we expected. Food was wonderful and considering that the dinner and breakfast is included, overall price was competitive. Staff is not well trained, and the receptionist/ concierge? was more interested in reading her book than helping. It would be great to see some additional investment here that could truly elevate the experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Gainesville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

This is an interesting property to say the least, and were it not for needed repairs, a good deep cleaning of the rooms, the need for a new general manager, and an updated HVAC system, it would be truly outstanding and worthy of an Excellent rating. The outstanding assistant manager Josh, the oustanding front desk staff in Bobbie, Jennifer, and all-around go-to person Brittany, the excellent dining room manager Chris, servers Carol Ann, Laura, and Rolly, the overall character of the place and it's stunningly beautiful location, are what makes staying at Greystone a pleasure. As in all experiences, the people make the difference. We stayed in the Presidential Suite for 5 nights and I loved it. The HVAC issues were satisfactorily addressed by Josh, the assistant manager. NEGATIVE - The property is currently up for sale and was being shown to prosepctive buyers during our visit. The general manager, without our consent, took it upon himself to enter our suite, allow a dozen individuals (from the buying group) unknown to us, to saunter through our suite. The deed was discovered by us as we returned to the property and upon getting out of our car, observed the party leaving our suite. The GM, caught 'in the act' was severely (and most appropriately) embarassed when he realized that we were the suite's occupants. While he did apologize, that act in and of itself knocked the rating down to Good. He should have knocked a night off our bill in my opinion as a minimal gesture of good will, but never offered to do anything. My wife remarked that if such a thing had ocurred at a Ritz or 4 Seasons property (both typically rated Excellent) there would have at least been a tray of fruit, or some such gesture. I have travelled over much of the world over my almost 64 years and have never experienced such an violation of propriety, nor heard of one experienced by family or friends. I purposely held off writing this review for almost 10 days, in order to be as fair as possible in my assessment. FinaIly, I also was quite astounded that as a guest renting the most expensive accomodation in the inn, for 5 nights, and the inn only having 17 rooms to begin with, that not once and only unitl the tresspass ocurrred diid the GM even take the time to introduce himself to us. Again, a lack of involvement and professionalism in my opinion. Thank goodness for the rest of the team! I hope you find this review helpful!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Less than three hours and we found paradise. A private mountain lake at 3,000 feet above sea level. Flawless and timeless as are the food, clear air, and quiet surroundings. The decor could use a facelift in the Riley room, but we were comfortable and relaxed for the entire trip. We arrived just after dinner ended at 10pm, but because we called ahead the staff covered dishes for us and (literally) ran the food to our room when we arrived. Fantastic.

Room Tip: We were ground level one flight down... would have preferred entry level or top floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

A quick fall getaway for the weekend from Atlanta for my eleven year old daughter and I. We love to read and relax on trips. It's a quick easy drive but yes the last few roads are hilly with twists and turns. I could go on and on about what a great place this is, but what really knocks it out of the park is the staff. Everyone with whom I came into contact was intently focused on making sure we had everything we wanted. I was called by name, smiled at, and anything I asked for materialized - wine, ice, a Styrofoam coffee cup to go, a hamburger instead of the standard menu for my daughter, and on and on. The room was not all modern, and generally I prefer modern décor, however, this is a historic location and it just seemed right to have a place which was minimally disturbed, like the lake itself. The lake is fabulous, quiet, hardly any boats. The mansion feels a bit like a B & B and guests speak with one another and are very friendly. The food was absolutely memorable, all my meals perfect and I can be picky and detailed. The portions were perfect, spices mostly spot on, and the service was relaxed yet attentive. We stayed on the property all day since we were just there for the weekend. The views are magnificent, it's so relaxing to sit on the porch and read and take in the lovely atmosphere. We definitely want to come back soon.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Vanderbilt room, in the mansion. Some of the electrical outlets didn't work an...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Greensboro
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We made our third trip to the Greystone Inn this summer, and it delivered in spades what we've come to expect from this quiet and elegant lakefront inn. The food was fresh and delicious, even better than what I remembered from our previous visits. The host and wait staff called us by name, and our waitress was friendly and got our orders correct. We learned that she had recently earned a degree in diesel mechanics, which I thought was interesting for a young woman.

In addition to the food, what my husband and I both love about this inn is its quiet, laid-back atmosphere. We love to take books with us and unwind at different spots on the property. There is a back porch with several rocking chairs overlooking the lake, a front porch/sunroom with cushioned white wicker rockers, and a swing on the back hillside facing the lake that's a favorite spot of ours. We stayed in the Hillmont building's Cooper room, which has a balcony overlooking the water. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with a sofa, chairs, Jacuzzi tub, refrigerator and a fireplace. (See photos.) A plush king bed gave us some of the most restful sleep we'd had in a while.

It rained on this trip, so we didn't get to do as much on the lake as we have in the past. But we did take out the pontoon boat for a while, and we got in some kayaking before the thunder rolled in. We also did the champagne cruise at sunset, which is a pleasant way to unwind before dinner. The lake itself is special because it's private. No jet skis are allowed, so you don't get the relentless buzz or wakes that those machines create.

I saw where a reviewer below was disappointed in the service. This has not been our experience on any of our stays. I'm not sure what was going on that week, but I hate that it left a bad taste in the mouth of a first-time visitor. Incidentally, we too visited the High Hampton Inn on this trip, and while the kid-friendly inn is always a fun place to be, by the third day we were ready to move on to a quieter spot, which is why we love the Greystone so much. I like that the staff leaves us alone -- they are there if we need anything, but not hovering. Also, you don't have to compete for spots around the pool, seats on the porch, or watercraft rentals as you do as some bigger resorts.

Finally, I got a massage at the spa because my husband had given me a gift certificate for Christmas. Because of the intimacy of the property, the spa is not huge or opulent. There are no marble columns in the lobby or urns of cucumber water. It, too, feels laid back. But it's personable, and I got the best massage on this visit I've ever had anywhere (and I've been getting massages since 2000.) Nancy was my massage therapist. I told her I was having nerve problems in my feet, and she took extra care to treat them and gave me a card when I left on which she'd written down suggestions for relief, dietary suggestions to combat inflammation, a list of landmarks in the area that she said were worth visiting, the title of a movie we'd discussed during my session, and a personal note that said, "Dear Kim, Happy Life! Thank you for allowing me to work with you today. Enjoy your day and relax. Warmly, Nancy."

We visited several water falls while in the area, including one Nancy recommended. There aren't many businesses close by, so I would recommend eating meals on site. I can't imagine the food being better anywhere else anyway. If you get hungry between meals, you might want to take some snacks. But with the afternoon tea and the appetizers before dinner, we were pretty much sated around the clock.

For a respite from the craziness of life, I highly recommend this inn! Your soul will be nourished by views of the water and mountains, by food that dances on your palate, by exercise that's outdoors and enjoyable, and by a calm and relaxing setting that beckons you to slow down and savor the moment.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Our third trip in 30 years and it will not be our last. Food, atmosphere, scenery, people. LOVE IT ALL!!! Champagne cruise - do not miss! Hiking, golf, boating. All fabulous. Definitely adult oriented. We still enjoy the older rooms in the mansion. Spa was a disappointment. Never called us back :(

• Stayed September 2013

Been to The Greystone Inn? Share your experiences!