“ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   747 Buffalo Creek Rd, Lake Lure, NC 28746   |
GreenLeadersBronze level
Gadsden, Alabama
“ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

On March 27, 2012, my husband and I and my 5 year old stayed here for 3 nights and we loved it. We stayed on the main resort in a house overlooking the golf course. It was fully furnished with two large bedrooms and two large decks. It was upstairs and downstairs and the lower lever was the master bedroom and mast bath with jetted tub and shower. This place was amazing with new furniture. We played putt putt, rode pedal boats, played with the large checkers next to the basketball court, played on the beach, playground and enjoyed the indoor pool iwth hot tub. The outdoor pools were not open. My husband played golf and I enjoyed the best 80 minute deep tissue massage ever. We rode around and found all of the local sites and waterfalls. I am so excited to come back for a next time. If there was one thing I could change about it I would love for there to be a ski resort there. That would make it complete. Yes, a vehicle is needed for everything. We drove about 5.5 hours to get there and it was definately worth the drive. I was very skeptical from reading other reviews however I thing it depends on where you get to stay at. We stayed in house 314 on the main resort. There were so many other things that were there to do that we didn't get a chance to like tennis, basketball, gym or go to the restaurant. I is not a place to go if you want to do alot of shopping because there isn't much shopping here. This is a place to go if you want to spend some good quality time with your family and have some fun together. We are going to check out Wyndham Sapphire Valley in the winter just because they have a ski resort. Also, we are wyndham timeshare owners however here we did not stay with wyndham it was another managed company. I do highly recommend this place just make sure you get in one of the 2 bedroom homes on the main resort to ensure you have a newly renovated place. My husband played golf at Apple Valley which was just down the road. We stayed at Fox Den, I believe. Yo will definately need a GPS to get there and to get anywhere you want to go. There is so much to do you really need a week to enjoy everything this resort and the area has to offer.

Room Tip: Reserve a 2 bedroom home on the main resort on the golf course. Fox Den, I believe.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

After reading some of the reviews I wasn't quite sure what to expect at this resort and was actually starting to regret booking our spring break vacay here. After being here four days I can tell you that I don't have any regrets at all.

The reviews were helpful as we planned our trip and we brought just about all our food and snacks with us. So lets start with my review.

The Facilities--
We stayed in the Maple Ridge Unit. We had a two bedroom lock-off unit. Unit A was more like a garden style apartment. Queen Bed, Queen Sofa Bed, kitchen, fireplace, dining area, bathroom, kitchen area, deck, bathroom, washer and dryer, living room area small, regular tv in bedroom, and fair-size flat TV in living room. Unit B adjoined Unit A and featured two levels. Level 1 adjoined Unit A and featured the living room area with TV. Stairs led to a very cute downstairs area that featured a studio size kitchen area. Bathroom, jacuzzi style tube, and bedroom was on this lower level as well. Deck was off the bedroom--pretty cool. My teen had Unit B and he was quite pleased to have his own space.

The kitchen area in Unit A was pretty small, but we hey, we adapted. Carpenter bees were everywhere on the deck, but a quick call to front desk and poof, they were gone, so we got to enjoy sitting out there.

Both units were clean. The furnishings are a bit dated and have some wear and tear issues, but nothing that would make me want to change rooms or anything. I found our units to be quite comfortable. If you are looking for high-end, modern furnishings and granite tops, forget about it...you won't find that here, at least not at Maple Ridge..but those kind of things aren't a priority for our family.

Check-in went smoothly and I was quite surprised that they didn't ask us to come to an owner's meeting to try to sell us more points, etc. Even when they called the next morning to see how things were going, I thought surely they are going to ask us to come talk with them. Didn't happen and for that they get five stars alone!

The Resort Facilities-- Yes, you will definitely need a car in this area and do plan on driving down to Rumbling Bald Resort (about a mile down the ride) for the swimming pool, miniature golf, lake, restaurants, tennis, b-ball courts, etc. It is a quick and easy drive and wasn't really a problem for us. Again, be prepared for the indoor pool. It is dated and a bit on the small size, but kids enjoyed. Loved that they had locker room facilities. We didn't bring towels, and paid a 1.00 rental fee to get a towel. So be sure to bring your own towels if you don't want pay that fee. Miniature golf is $5.00 for the first game and second game is free. They also have a spa/salon but we didn't take advantage of that.

Staff here is AWESOME!!!!

I would give this place 5 stars but I'm gonna take off one for the small kitchen.

Staff provided info when we checked in on how to get to the nearest store which is about 10 minutes away.

We did a day trip to the Great Smoky Mountains on one day. GPS took us through the town of Lake Lure and some great mountain views. Also, we drove to Forest City, about 30 - 40 minutes to hit up the Wal-Mart for camera batteries. Saw a couple of roadside antique shops and again, pretty scenery/views.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Mt Prospect
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

One of my friends and I decided to do a mothers and sons (both boys are 13) vacation. I'm always leary of vacation condos but upon our arrival I was very pleasantly surprised at the accommodations. It was very roomy, one master bedroom one with twins (small twins) with comfy beds. Two full baths, full dining area, stools at the kitchen counter, open floor plan made it feel even roomier. Winding wooden stairs up to the loft where there was another sleeper sofa and a round table for games which was perfect for the boys.

The kitchen was FULLY equipped down to a potatoe peeler including coffee pot, microwave, blender, toaster, dish washer, full set of glasses (including wine) and dishes and flatware that looked to be either new or well taken care of.

There is also a screened porch off the back that overlooked the foot hills . . . we had some wild turkeys and some deer back there as well. :-)

Every employee we came into contact with at both Wyndham and Rumbling Bald were very helpful. Couldn't have been more hospitable.

The rec center at Rumbling Bald is shared with Wyndham as they are one in the same now I believe. It is about a mile away so that was a draw back for the boys. I'm used to having the boys do they're own thing sometimes. The boys didn't seem to want to load up everytime to head over there. Although they had a mini golf course, jumbo checkers and chess, the indoor pool, paddle boats to rent. I think I'd try to get a place closer to the rec center, beach, etc for them. But it was very nice. Because we went at the beginning of spring, the outdoor pools were not open and only one restaurant was open. We did take the pontoon boat tour around the lake and it was worth the $13 dollars per adult. The tour guide was very friend and informative. By the their day, I was like an old hat on those country roads. Lots of twists and turns! But I am afraid of heights and did just fine.

Grocery store was about 10 minutes away but it looked like they were open a gas station and corner grocery store right there near the registration building.

As for activities, we were all over doing everything from gem mining, to shopping and sightseeing in Asheville, Chimeny Rock Village and Black Mountain. The actual ride up to Chimney Rock State Park, on the otherhand, was a little more narrow and twisty but, oh my, what a view!!! It was absolutely breathtaking. And of course don't forget to take a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway!

I was not overly enthused with the restuaurants so it was a good thing we had a great kitchen. However, the "Point of View" Restaurant was a definite must. They had a great menu of steak, chicken and fish dishes and you have to have the stuff mushrooms! YUMMY!!! And the staff/service was fantastic.

ENJOY!

Room Tip: If you have children of an age that you allow to take a walk to the rec center or the beach on their...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife and I are here at Lake Lure Wyndham resort for the second year in a row and we are enjoying the peace and quiet of the mountains. Our unit is a 2 bedroom condo and is very clean and has everything stocked that we need. Wireless internet is one of the things that is very important to us as it allows us to send our photos to family and friends. The registration staff and attendants at the front desk are very polite and helpful. We bought firewood at a local retailer and enjoyed our fireplace. Each night while having a glass of wine we enjoyed the beauty of the mountains from our panoramic view of our oversized windows. The circular staircase provided access to an upstairs loft which was great for a children's room as it had a sofa with a pull out bed and a table which would be great for a card game. The kitchen area is clean with numerous new small appliances. The refrigerator and stove were also very clean upon arrival. Overall I would recommend this resort if you like quiet and beauty of the mountains and nature.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

I should have known from the reviews but I didn’t book the place. Some friends and I spent a weekend at the resort, (insert laugh) and my friend made the booking. Yes it is in the middle of nowhere, as expected, but what I didn’t expect was just how run down and old the place is. What I did like: The woman who checked us in and the Jacuzzi Tub….wow that’s it. The women at registration gave us great customer service and helped up book a zip lining tour for the following morning. The Jacuzzi tube was enormous and very powerful. However, the furnishings in the unit looked original to the early 1980s. The walls are so incredibly thin that I could have taken part in the conversation going on next door. I heard every single word as though I were in the room with the occupants, which made me self-conscious about what I said or did being overheard too. There were four of us sharing the unit with one bedroom and a pull out sofa. The pull out sofa wouldn’t have been so bad except for the skylight right above. A great feature I would love if I wasn’t awakened at 6:30 every morning on Vacation due to blinding light! Also the high speed Internet is hit or miss. More miss than anything else. So those half formed plans of streaming a movie got nixed. As to location, because you are in the middle of nowhere off of incredibly curvy roads the prospect of trying to find dinner in the dark is less than thrilling. That’s why the restaurant options at the resort are so attractive. We went to dinner at the pub and boy the disappointment just kept building up. The so-called pub was little more than a glorified canteen. The service was abysmal especially when you consider we arrived at 6:00 p.m. and were the only guests there at the time. I will say the Chicken Quasidia was quite good but the chili cheese fries should be called Chili-like Cheeze-wiz fries. Really not the sort of dining experience, even as a low end option, that I would expect from a place calling itself a resort. The best part of the weekend was spending time with dear friends and our adventure zip lining. I will not be back and I can’t really recommend this place to anyone. We got it on the cheap through Expedia but the isolation and poor accommodation more than justify spending more somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Unless you have a family full of kids looking someplace cheap and don't pla...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Lake Mary fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

The staff at registration were very nice and helpful. That was the highlight of our trip. When we arrived at our unit the first thing I noticed was the filthy caret. Then the spiral staircase leading up to a useless loft. (Not a great amenity when you have a 4 yr old). The furniture was old and stained, the beds were old and hard. The appliances were also old and dated. The tub was filthy and the shower had hair in it. Needless to stay I ended up cleaning before we could relax. Very disappointed in this resort and for the money they charge it was even more disappointing. We actually had booked to stay for two nights but only stayed one because of the condition of the unit. Lake Lure is beautiful but would not stay here again.

Room Tip: There isn't one.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Springfield, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We knew before we arrived that the amenities were off-site and therefore somewhat inconvenient. The three (count 'em, three) messages left on our home answering machine to remind us that a car was essential to enjoy the area made sure of that. Our expectation was that the quality of the unit and the service would make up for that minor inconvenience. In short, they didn't.

We arrived at the reception center to find that there were computer problems. Check-in turned into a 30-minute ordeal (we were the only people checking in and it still took 30 minutes). That wouldn't have been so bad, but the reception center has an incredibly musty, mildewy smell that you normally only encounter in buildings at the seashore, not up in the mountains. It was not pleasant and was not a good introduction to the resort.

The reception desk has no maps of the Wyndham resort -- only maps of Rumbling Bald, the resort at which the amenities were located. The Rumbling Bald map doesn't show the Wyndham property, so it's left to you to figure out how the two properties are related to each other. Instead, all directions given by the Wyndham reception desk are written out in a narrative format and confusing.

In spite of the lack of maps and adequate directions, we found our unit. It was underwhelming. The only word I can use to describe it was lackluster. The colors and furniture were very dated. The dining room table was so old that it shook whenever we tried to use it to do something like cut food on a plate or write postcards. We finally gave up and ate all meals from plates on our laps in the living room area. The dining room chairs looked different from the table, so I don't know if they replaced the chairs at some point but forgot the table. The stove and microwave in the kitchen also were very old and chipped. The pictures on the walls were framed oversize photographs of nature scenes that were so poorly mounted that the pictures had ripples in them under the glass. The televisions were old with poor picture quality.

All lightbulbs in the unit were of the energy-saving variety and they took a long time to reach full wattage when you turned on a light. It was especially entertaining to get in the shower in the dark and emerge into brighter light because the bulb in the bathroom took so long to get going. The bathroom never did get very bright -- I had to put my make-up on in another room.

The worst part of the unit, however, was the lack of cleanliness. We had regular visits from the resident roach population and there were dust bunnies in all corners.

As for the amenities, reservations are required for some things, and Rumbling Bald lost every single reservation that we made over the phone -- couples massage, pedicure for me, pontoon boat tour, dinner at the restaurant -- you name the reservation, and they lost it. We went for breakfast one morning at the restaurant at the golf course only to find out that the one-and-only restaurant at the resort that serves breakfast was totally out of eggs at 8:00 a.m.

Other notes: The Wyndham website for this property is woefully out of date. It shows a map of the Wyndham-only units that shows an onsite convenience store and restaurant just behind the reception center. Judging by the bank-owned for-sale sign on that building, that amenity has been gone for a while. The website also refers to a restaurant called Azaleas that doesn't seem to exist anymore either.

All in all, this was not the quality of resort that we were hoping for. The Lake Lure area is beautiful, and we enjoyed our side trips to Chimney Rock, Asheville, Black Mountain, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. But, I would not recommend this resort for a great vacation and I have no plans whatsoever to return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains? Share your experiences!