“Lovely - Delicious and great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 18 Restaurants in Lake Lure
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Huckleberry's is a quaint restaurant near the main entrance to Rumbling Bald Resort, Fox Run Condos, Wyndham Timeshares, Shumont Estates and Apple Valley Motorcoach Resort. We are located on Buffalo Creek Road, just 1.6 Miles down from the intersection of the Dalton's General Store.We offer,casual and leisurely dining for breakfast and lunch using fresh local produce and farm eggs. In the evenings, enjoy our international, cook to order, dinner menu, prepared by Chef Jim, in front of one of our four fieldstone fireplaces or water view tables. Brown Bagging (BYOB) is always welcome at this establishment and for a added bonus, no corkage or pouring fees. American owned and operated by a young, female, entrepreneur, Michaila Cowles Cosmus, (19). Menus change often, so please check out website for menus, specials and promotions. Reservations ARE HIGHLY RECOMENDED for dinner and for all parties of 5 or more at any time, so we can have a table ready for you. Please note most, GPS's are incorrect and will send you 1 mile up, on the other side of the road, from where we are actually located. We are number 962 Buffalo Creek Road, on left hand side, just 1.6 Miles down from Bills Creek and Buffalo Creek Road, intersection. Call for directions.
Lake Lure, North Carolina
“Lovely - Delicious and great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I live near Huckleberry's and when my Aunt and Uncle came in town, my husband and I tried Huckleberry's for the first time by taking them to breakfast there. We all loved the food, atmosphere and service. The menu looks delicious for lunch and dinner as well and we can't wait to go back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Teddy-
Thank you for trying us out for the first time. Glad to hear you enjoyed Jackie's cooking for breakfast, she makes great pancakes and omelets.
If you are returning for dinner, please remember to make reservations and also we do
offer BYOB. We look forward to having you return.
In Mid September we are starting a special for Local Residences. Information is being mailed out, or you can follow us on our web page and facebook. Local specials will be offered during, Wed-Fri Night Dinners. So please watch for that!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Needs some polish”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We arrived at this restaurant on a Thursday around 5. There was one other couple in the place but the hostess/server asked if we had a reservation. When I told her no, she went and consulted with the owner. They accommodated us by sitting us next to the other couple. When the server came to take our order, I told her I was having a tough time deciding between several delicious sounding seafood dishes and a couple of yummy sounding meat dishes. She said that she hates seafood and recommended that I order the pork chop cooked with chocolate and macadamia nuts. My husband ordered the lobster mac and cheese. The only starch for the night were roasted small potatoes and baked acorn squash. The wife from the other couple leaned over and said that they had a hard time deciding too but they were both craving prime rib so they got that. Their meals arrived about 5 minutes before ours. Both the wife and husband tried to eat their potatoes, but they were so underdone that their forks wouldn't go through. When the server came over to ask about their meals, the wife explained about the potatoes and also said that the prime rib was dry and asked for some au jus. The server didn't know what au jus was. The wife explained it to her. She went in the kitchen got the fries and the au jus. Meanwhile, our meals come out and neither of us could get our forks in the potatoes. (And yes, my husband got potatoes with his mac and cheese...carb overload). The problem was, the restaurant got a few more customers in and our server didn't come back to ask about our meals until I had finished my (underdone) pork chop and my squash. When I told her about the potatoes she said, "What do you want me to do about it?" She wasn't trying to be rude, it just came out that way. She then offered fries to me. But my meal was gone and I wasn't about to wait for a pile of fries. She cleared our plates and told the owner that "another table said that the potatoes weren't done". But she never came over. What a good restaurant does in this situation is either offer a dessert on the house, or offer to take a percentage off. Neither was offered. When she brought the check there was a pre-printed note that said If you like our restaurant, write a review on Trip Advisor. If not, ask to see the manager." Well, the manager/owner had already been notified by the server, and did nothing to rectify the situation. My husband and I were unhappy with our meals and I ended up with stomach "issues" later that night (probably from the underdone pork).

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Guests- Hello- I am going to answer this review a bit differant then I ever have.
First here is a written response from your waitress-

Dear Templemom,
I was your server, I'm very sorry that you had a bad experience. I do remember you asking me about what I would recommend either the seafood dishes or meat dishes. I know that I didn't say I hated seafood. I have been a server for close to 40 years and have never used the word hate to describe how I feel about fish. I do know that I told you "I honestly don't know I don't eat anything that swims in the water, but everyone loves the lobster Mac and cheese and salmon. If I had to pick I would would choose the pork chops or rosemary chicken." I'm sorry if you didn't like me telling you the truth, I honestly would rather a server to tell me how they truly feel about a dish rather than give me a line about liking something when they don't.
When you told me about the undercooked potatoes, I ask you if you would like me to get you steak fries. You told me no that you didn't want steak fries, so i then ask you what you wanted me to do? I apologize if this came across rude that wasn't my intentions at all. I honestly just didn't know what you wanted to correct the issue and was looking for answers, so we could offer what suited you best. I always try my best to make everyone's experience a very pleasant one. I am very sorry, and regret you felt you had a bad experiance with me.

From the Chef-Good Morning!
First off I would like to comment on your experience with my pork dish. The pork is slate grilled at 400 degrees, rubbed with chocolate and macadamia nuts then baked at 375 degrees in a convection oven for 7 minutes. I do check all of the proteins that leave my kitchen personally to ensure that they are at the correct temperature before the wait staff take them. As Michaila has stated below, I remember your table as well because her and I were plating it together while we were reviewing our potato issue, in the kitchen, I did try to ensure that your potatoes were done, I apoligize if they were not. As for the comment about the waitress, not knowing what au jus is, I personally take the time to show them each dish and explain it to them, thank you for bringing this to my attention I will make sure I show her this one again. I apologize that you feel your experience was not the best, I do take reviews of this nature very serious and we will all work hard to improve in the future.

From me the owner-Michaila
Good Day,

First off I would like to apologize on behalf of our whole staff and my self, for your experience last Thursday evening. It has been a rarity that we have gotten a bad review of this nature, so when they do arrive all the staff involved are asked to respond.
I remember your table exactly, because the couple next to you was there at 4:00 and decided to wait to have dinner. We did have a full reservation list for that evening and with such a small dinning room we do our best to accommodate everyone, so as you stated you were asked if you held reservations, then seated, once the waitress consulted me. This way I could make sure we could give you a open table with no time schedule on it, and it did not have a quick turn reservation. Thus allowing, you both ample time to enjoy your dining experiance.
I will just work my way down your review, beginning with the comment about your server, Debbie. I have taught my server never to lie to their tables so if there is something on the menu that they don't particularly care for their personal tastebuds, they are asked to recommend something they do like. I would not like her to tell you that she likes the salmon when she has never had it because then it would not be a correct review. They are asked however to word it a little bit differently than "I hate seafood" and I know Debbie has addressed that above. The servers are usually very good about that, I often see them consult with another server in the dinning room so they can help their table with questions. As for the comments regarding the starch and the vegetable for that evening, your husband was more than welcome to order extra vegetables if he wished instead of the starch. It is a 50-50 split when it comes to serving starch and vegetables with the pasta dishes on the menu. Half of our customers love that they can have more starch and vegetables as the other half prefer to have extra vegetables. ( I did you not hear you point that out, so perhaps we failed to mentioned that option to you, if that is the case, Ms Debbie tries her heart out each night to please folks, but when she knows she has a issue, like me she gets nervous and my nerves make me forget things all the time. no excuse, just reality) Now, in regards to your potatoes I was told when the first table didn't like their potatoes and thought they were underdone. So I went into the kitchen and worked with Chef to correct the issue promptly. Debbie rectified the problem for the other table, and I personally brought their fries out to them. When it came time to plate your table in the kitchen I was right there doing it with Chef to monitor that potato issue for your table. While I was doing this, he was plating your dinners and I did see him use my handy dandy bright orange ( :) I just love orange, my favorite colors, how can anyone not love a color that is so bright and happy) thermoter to check the pork. It was at a acceptable medium doneness for pork, and it was served to you. I think it was not done your liking,and as well done as you wish, but it was cooked to a acceptable NC State Requirement.
I apologize that your server was not back over to see you until you were done, that is very unusual for Debbie, she is one of our better wait staff. But, as you stated, I do remember though that the dinning room did begin to quickly fill at 6:00pm as it normally does. I was on that floor, and off when you meals were being cleared while still going back and forth into the kitchen to monitor that potato issue. So to reply to your comment, I was aware of your issue and was in the back trying to correct it. But our guests do not have a view line of the kitchen, so from your standpoint, I can see how you took that as I was made aware of your issue but was not working or correcting it. But I really was.
I try to help my , customers and wait staff wherever I can, sometimes I think they might just need two of me though! LOL In regards to you getting a free dessert or a percentage off your bill , this is where we failed. You are correct something should of been offered. I can not say on TP how the problem was resolved, but it was taken care of.

For future readers,
guess this is another learning review for me. And exactly why I ask customers to leave reviews and comments, so I can grow and learn as a young business owner. First I learned about coasters for the tables and that seems to be working great, now I have learned many lessons from this review. Thank you All
Rutherfordton, North Carolina
“A beautiful delicious little hid away!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband, daughter and I ate here for the 1st time Labor Day weekend. The dining experience in its self was wonderful! It's so cozy feels like your with family. We were in a bit of a rush to go see fireworks on the lake. We informed our waitress Debbie of this and she was very quick while delivering great service with a big welcoming smile. Our food was delicious my husband and I had the prime rib with roasted potatoes and squash. It honestly was the best prime rib I've ever ate. Our daughter had the steak quesadilla, it was great with fresh veggies inside and very tender steak. Thank you all for the experience and great food. We will most deffently be back soon!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Hello firework goer!
We are so pleased you choose us for dinner this past Saturday night. It is fabulous to hear that Debbie, met your time schedule needs and completed her task with a warm welcoming smile.
Yes, you described our dining room setting perfect, "its so cozy feels like you are with family." That is just what we are trying to achieve, not your typical experience, of a fast food chain dinner facility. But something more quaint, charming, home made, and unique.

Please remember for the next time you join us, we do accept reservations, and also have a BYOB policy with no corkage and no pouring fee. (Just another way to save you and your family money)
“A Gem in the Carolina Mountains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

While here on vacation we were told Huckleberrys was a must - I couldn't agree more! We stopped in for lunch and had a difficult time choosing from the many options including salads, sandwiches, quiche of the day, soup of the day, etc. I settled on a sandwich & soup and my dining partner opted for the club sandwich. All were very good. Our iced teas were refreshed without asking during our meals. If you go you must save room for dessert ! All homemade - we couldn't choose so ordered two different items and shared. Will visit again before we head home. Very enjoyable!

Hello Ms. Nashville-
Thank you so much for stopping in while you were on vacation to Lake Lure area. I am so pleased to hear you both enjoyed our lunch, our traditional club sandwiches and our turkey avocado bacon lettuce tomato club is one our most popular items sold.
Please have a great and safe trip back to TN
Chicago, Illinois
“Tiny house, but good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This place is owned by an 18-year old chef who is apparently beyond her years in culinary expertise. We had lunch here one afternoon, and really enjoyed it. Friday morning breakfast was packed, however, and we didn't have time to wait. Also have antiques and artwork on display and for sale.

Visited August 2013
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Goodmorning,
Yes we are located in a tiny, wee, old , original, pre 1931 white farmhouse in Lake Lure, it is full of character and our decorating folks, did try to add some of those antique touches around to tie everything together. We also welcome all local artist to display and sell their works for free in our facility.
So, pleased to hear you enjoyed your meals with us. Also in town, last weekend, was the Dirty Dancing Festival and you are correct we were packed all weekend, due to the additional people in for the festival. Please remember for your next visit, that we do take reservations for all sittings. Our contact info is listed on the web site and our facebook page.
Have a great summer and fall and we hope you return to the Lake Lure Area again soon.