“Never Trust This Hotel's Online "Reservations" System!!!” 1 of 5 stars

2771 Memorial Highway, Lake Lure, NC 28746   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 6 hotels in Lake Lure
A TripAdvisor Member
“Never Trust This Hotel's Online "Reservations" System!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

I have just read the review by the Knoxville traveler who turned up for his vacation only to be told there was no room at the Inn! That traveler states that he had received 2 email confirmations prior to his arrival date, yet was turned away. This was in October 2005. Now, in July 2006, I encountered the EXACT same problem, only I received a voicemail message cancelation 24 hours prior to my arrival. I too had recieved 2 email confirmations and had telephoned the Inn for further confirmation as I had booked Spa services during my stay. I received a 3rd confirmation email approximately 5 minues after the cancellation voicemail and was later informed that this email should have stated "cancellation" and not "confirmation"....

The reservations person was completely unapologetic, citing a "computer error" assigning me a room that had already been booked. Mention was also made of a "large wedding party" having just arrived, raising my suspicions that my room had been "bumped off" to one of the presumably more lucrative and therefore valued guests to the Inn. No apologies were given or offers of future discounts or complimentary services made. My "confirmed reservation" meant nothing. I will never stay at the Inn nor will I recommend it. If they treat their guests this poorly before you even arrive, I can only imagine the level of "service" guests receive once they are there.

Stayed July 2006

235 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2006

We booked the cottage, "Johnny's Cabin", because it was supposedly a cozy, private cabin off by itself. Without the benefit of pictures to see what the cabin was really like, we discovered something totally different from our expectations. When we arrived to inspect our cabin that we thought would be a nice homeymoon get-away, we found that it sits at the end of the parking lot behind the main inn. The porch on the front of the cabin has rocking chairs to overlook the parking lot. The back & sides of the cabin are equally disappointing; the rear of the cabin backs into a storage lot for the facility's trailer & a propane fuel tank for their maintenance equipment.

Once inside the cabin, we were generally pleased with the interior decor with the excpetion of the wet bar & a few of the gaudy light fixtures. The bathroom did have a very nice jacuzzi & a very pleasant showerhead. The wet bar, however, was a suprising disappointment. There is a small (empty) refigerator & a microwave behind the wet bar. There is no coffee maker or accommodations for plugging anything in around the wet bar. To find an available plug, you have to move things around to get to it. When I inquired about the lack of coffee in the room, we were told that it was a liability & a fire hazard. Why is this not an issue at every other hotel that I have ever stayed in?

The bed was comfortable.

The continental breakfast was not accommodating; if someone who wants to sleep in past 9 a.m., they are out of luck as they shut the continental breakfast down. I later discovered to my dismay that the beach in front of the hotel costs $5.00 to enjoy. Wow!! One of the few things we can say positive about this hotel was the wireless internet connection I used from the main Inn for my laptop to find another hotel to stay in.

Unfortunately, we did not take any pictures. This may have been a very nice place during the Calvin Coolidge days but it has since become very outdated & improperly managed.

• Stayed July 2006
Olive Branch, MS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

On our trip, we were gone 8 nights and stayed at 5 different places, this was a nice change from the average moderate priced hotel chains. There were antiques everywhere, old pictures adorned the walls, the floors squeeked, it was truely a unique experience. It doesn't have an ice machine down the hall, or a soda machine but that would have ruined the ambiance. Sure there were some inconviences, but go with it. That's what made it so unique.

• Stayed June 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

we were going to lake lure inn to enjoy the weekend, it was nothing but.
Check-in went fine and we were going to have a coupled massage that
day (Friday) @ 5:00. We got to the spa, went to the massage room and
had a 45 min. massage with a manditory 20% tip. This I thougt was at
our discrection, otherwise it just should have been part of the price.
I didn't have a propblem with tipping I just felt the amount should have been
my decision. The rest of that evening was good.
Saturday morning we got up, had breakfast and planned on spending the
day by the pool and relaxing @ 10:30 a couple of people came and begn
placing decorations for a wedding all around us and other people there.
This was annoying so we ask what was going on, there was a wedding
scheduled by the pool @ 2:00 and it would be closed the rest of the evening.
This was VERY UPSETTING because this was what we had came here for,
come to find out there were 3 wedding taking place on the grounds and the
pool, dinning room, and parts of the grounds would be off limits. At about 4:00
we headed to the bar for a drink before going OUT to eat....the bar was full
of upset guest, so we were not the only ones. We all said we would meet
back there after dinner. We were there having drinks and @ 8:30 the bartender
rang the bell and said he would be closing! We were so upset we and some
other guest were going to leave but there were not other rooms available in
the area. I had ask before dinner what time the bar closed and was told
midnight on saturdays. We never got an answer as to why.
The music by the pool for the wedding was VERY LOUD! This was a very
disappointing trip and will never go back. If you have plans to go be sure
to ask if there are any events planned during your stay, if so, don't go.

• Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2006

We spent two nights at this beautiful old inn on the lake and didn't have a single complaint. The rooms were small, as would be expected in a 1920s-built inn, but they were well-furnished and clean, with comfortable beds and gracious wood armoirs. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed lounging in the beautiful lobby area or the spacious hallways on the upper floors equipped with seating in the extra-wide halls. Our dinner at the restaurant was superb--diverse menu, good wine list, attentive service, and excellent food. Though we stayed in December, I'm sure a summer trip would be even more lovely as the hotel has direct lake and beach access across the street. For those of you looking for the conveniences or spaciousness of more modern hotels, you may want to look elsewhere. For those looking to step back in time to the days of gracious lakeside inns, this is your place.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
Hopedale, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2006

We just returned from a two-night stay at The 1927 Lake Lure Inn. The Inn (listed with the National Trust for Historic Preservation) reflects the gracious style of another era. Our suite (the Swayze) was beautiful and overlooked the lake. It consisted of a living room, small kitchen, bedroom and spa room with over-sized, jetted tub and two upholstered chairs. The complimentary continental breakfast, served in the elegant dining room, was the usual buffet of fruit, bagels, muffins and cereal -- but the orange juice and homemade granola kicked it up a notch. There is a small bar/lounge off the lobby and a covered terrace off the dining room. An exterior door at the bottom of the center staircase provides access to the pool. The housekeeping staff does a wonderful job of maintaining the common areas and guest rooms. The 1927 Lake Lure Inn is a gem and we will return.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2006

My husband and I went to the Lake Lure Inn for Easter weekend. We had a wonderful time and the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. I was given much time on the phone to help us choose a room, and when we arrived we were shown two choices available. During our stay we were shown all the suites because we want to come back with some of our family and wanted a "gathering room". As we expected at an older historic inn, some of the features of a modern motel were not present, but we loved the warmth and elegance of the inn. The food was very good. We had a wonderful dinner cruise on the beautiful lake on a pontoon. We enjoyed several groups of people we met over the weekend. We may make this an Easter tradition. Nyra Brannan, Davidson, NC

• Stayed April 2006

Been to The 1927 Lake Lure Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!