“Serene setting and very accommodating staff” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Lake Lure B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“Serene setting and very accommodating staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I spent several days at the Lodge for our 40th wedding anniversary. We found the proprietor, Horst, and the entire staff to be very friendly and accommodating. They really added a very personal touch to the entire stay and were always seeking ways to help make your stay more enjoyable. Like others, I strongly recommend getting room overlooking the lake. We found our room to be very clean and efficiently and unobtrusively cleaned very well each day. We had dinner one night and it was excellent as noted by other reviewers. The Lodge is on the opposite end of the lake from Chimney Rock, the much more quiet end, which we appreciated. This means you have to drive the winding road to get to most places, but that is a part of the charm of the mountains. We also enjoyed meeting some of the other guests. A couple of snags keep me from giving it a full 5 stars. The hairdryer in our room did not work and a chair had a broken leg. I personally found the puffy memory foam mattress fairly uncomfortable, but others may like it. The breakfasts served were excellent, well-prepared and graciously served. But they were limited to 1 or 2 choices offered each day with no substitutions. A small individual saucer of fruit was offered rather than a fruit bowl on a bar as with many B&Bs. Limited bread choices, cereal, juice, coffee and tea were the only breakfast bar items. If what was being served that day was not to your liking, you were sort of out of luck. Luckily, I liked the choices each day. Overall, it was a very good experience and I would recommend the Lodge to others seeking a serene holiday on a peaceful lake in the mountains.

Room Tip: We were in Golden Pond and appreciated the larger room and balcony to view the lake.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Clarendon Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

I cannot say enough about the beautiful Lodge on Lake Lure.. I wanted my family to help celebrate a special birthday of mine and I am so happy that I chose the Lodge to do this in. There are 24 of us-seniors to a 4 year old-and each one of us had a wonderful time. We were all made to feel so welcomed. Horst and Rebecca held my hand during the entire planning stage and everything turned out perfectly, from the meal selections to the room assignments. Which by the way are absolutely stunning. The entire staff was most kind, friendly and gracious.

My husband and I had stayed there before and it is a special place for couples too. The Lodge itself, right on the lake and with the beautiful mountains surrounding it makes for a spectacular vacation destination.

Thanks again, Horst, Rebecca and staff, Jane

Room Tip: Please go on the Lodge's web site to find your special room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We liked the room and the service at the lodge at lake lure, but there is very little to do in the town. The food at the B & B was great for breakfast but not many other places to eat around. We took boat tour on lake, visited Hendersonvillle and a winery, played golf. Did not swim as the beach charges $8 to sit.

Winter Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Lodge for a week. Her family rented a house immediately next door for a large group get together, but we wanted a little privacy so we took a room over looking the lake. The lodge is hidden in the trees, and blends in with the NC hills. The boathouse is a great place to have a drink and watch the sun set on the lake. The owner is very attentive and wants his guests to be comfortable, and the cook staff is extremely friendly. I went out on an early morning fishing trip, and they made me breakfast a full hour before the kitchen was to open. The rooms are nice- not lavish or exceptionally decorated, but comfortable. My only disappointment with the lodge was that our room was not cleaned well or re-stocked. The front desk gave me soaps, shampoo and towels on day four as we had run out, and the glass in the bathroom was never replaced though we had used it.

Overall, of the many B&B's I have stayed at, this was in the upper group for friendliness and surroundings.

Room Tip: Spend a little more and stay in the main lodge building. It has the best views of the lake.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
beafort south carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was our third trip to the lodge, everything was beautiful including the room, but when we arrived I was really disappointed to see children running and yelling. Evidently there was a Family Reunion and the staff did not inform me, I would have made other arrangements for the reason we reserve for bed and breakfast's is for the romance and the calm and quiet. Hoping that it would be okay the next day the breakfast room was full of noise from the large table for the family, my visions of a nice breakfast with music playing overlooking the lake were gone, couldn't even hear the music. All I am saying is that when a family reunion or wedding is booked we should be informed because no matter how the staff tries it changes the dynamics of your stay. I love children I have my own but these are the places were we go to get away. I will surely ask next time I book at any b&b about any parties booked, I have stayed at about fifty inns and usually the norm is no children under 12 and no pets unless it states it on the website. I love this inn but this trip was so disappointing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Waynesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I have traveled extensively, and one of the best, most hospitable, and relaxing trips we've taken, was at the Lodge on Lake Lure. The owner, Horst Brunner, is one of the most welcoming owners that we have ever encountered. He is definitely the ultimate host and makes everyone feel so welcomed and comfortable. The Lodge has it's own chef, staff and restaurant, with both indoor and outdoor dining, and the food is wonderful. The Chef and his staff do a wonderful job of providing very fresh and tasty menus, including breakfast and dinner. The rooms are extremely clean and well kept and very comfortable. The Lodge offers free use of canoes, floats, and decks for sunning and swimming. Oftentimes, someone is playing the piano in the sitting area, adjacent to the restaurant area, which offers a soothing and relaxing addition during and after dinner. We can't say enough wonderful things about The Lodge at Lake Lure. Mr. Brunner and the entire staff make you feel so comfortable and welcomed. They make each person feel as though they are the most important person staying there. It is a wonderful and relaxing experience, plus Lake Lure and the surrounding mountains are beautiful. You will not want to leave.

Room Tip: We reserved the "On Golden Pond" room. A room with plenty of space, including a sitting a...
Waynesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Everything good that is in other reviews is so correct. This is a wonderful B & B. The food is wonderful. The rooms are beautiful. The staff is a pleasure. They went out of their way to make sure that our stay was enjoyable. Horst Brunner, the owner, was a joy. He made us feel like we were friends. This is only one of the two places that you can stay on Lake Lure that isn't a private home, so take note...if you are ever in the area, treat yourself and have a wonderful stay at the Lodge on Lake Lure.

Room Tip: We stayed in the room 'Golden Pond.' It is a corner room, very private and very nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge on Lake Lure? Share your experiences!