“A Must See” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Aquariums
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Walking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Visitors to the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher, located in Kure Beach (a short drive from Wilmington), enjoy an exploration of “The Waters of the Cape Fear.” Journey down the Cape Fear River – from freshwater streams and swamps, to coastline habitats, reefs and the open ocean - discovering unique habitats and aquatic wildlife. Meet a rare albino alligator named Luna. See the only spotted eagle ray on exhibit in the state. Get eye-to-eye with a loggerhead sea turtle. Talk to a SCUBA diver swimming with sharks rays and eels. Discover N.C.’s fiercest predator at the interactive Megalodon Exhibit. Touch sea stars, horseshoe crabs and even sharks! Play outside in the Adventure Reef play area. Free daily programs include dive presentations, animal feedings and encounters. Explore more with behind-the-scenes tours, outdoor adventures, classes, camps and more. Open 362 days a year, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily (closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day). Tickets available at the door and online.
Topeka, Kansas
10 attraction reviews
“A Must See”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We arrived late in the day and only had an hour to spend at the aquarium. I wished we could have had more time to spend viewing the different areas. I especially like the touch tank. The lady who was there was very friendly and informative. Young children would love to be able to touch the different aquatic life. There was even some good information about the area for the history buffs. I will try to make it back again with more time to take in the exhibits.

Lee's Summit
“Fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

The price to get in was only 8.00! Totally worth more! We spent about 2hrs in there. The diving show was really nice wonderful for kids and adults of all ages!

Greenville, North Carolina
26 attraction reviews
“A First Rate Aquarium!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The NC Aquarium is an impressive showcase for the aquatic inhabitants of the southeast North Carolina wetlands, river, and ocean environments. Many stunning interior tank displays are complemented by live wetland displays and outdoor gardens. A must see for your kids. Admission is very reasonable. I suggest that you budget a couple of hours for a casual visit. They have a snack bar in the gardens.

milford
22 attraction reviews
“Small Aquarium”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I am used to the Camden Aquarium in NJ. Which you can stay in for hours. This is a very cute and small Aquarium with a GREAT playground outside. The Aquarium part may go by quick but the playground is a great way to let the kids get their energy out.

Boone, NC
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Let me start off by saying that I am a huge supporter of NC aquariums and the zoo. I am a member of the Friends of the Zoo and I get free admission to the aquarium because if this. On my visit to the Fort Fisher location, I was very glad that it is was free. It was very small and just not much to see. The staff seemed bored and not really interested in making the experience a good one. Three exhibits that are "staffed" for interactions with the public left me quite dismayed. I have a 4 year old son that loves fish and especially sharks and he was so excited at the tought of touching a shark. The lady at the tank was reading a novel and wanted absolutely nothing to do with us and I had to ask for instructions on the best way to touch the sharks. When we approached for the second time (she sent us away to the diver show in the large tank on first approach) I asked if we could touch a shark. She snapped I don't think he can reach them and went back to her book. Very sad. The nature trail outside was a nice walk (short) and a good addition, but I don't think I would go back here again. Normally, I think of these aquarium's as a great way to get out of the sun for a little while on a beach vacation, and I LOVE the one in Nags Head, but this one needs some work.

Visited February 2013
NCAquariumFortFisher, Public Relations Manager at North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thank you, Luv2TravNStyle, for visiting the N.C. Aquarium at Fort Fisher and for taking the time to share your experience. Our dedicated staff and volunteers work hard to create a fun, memorable experience for every Aquarium visitor. The majority of TripAdvisor reviews illustrate our successful efforts. It saddens us to know we missed the mark during your visit. We, recognize, however, a tremendous value in your feedback. Your comments give staff an opportunity to examine daily operations and make improvements to benefit every visitor.