“Give it a shot” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Kure Beach
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Walking
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors to the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher, located in Kure Beach (a short drive from Wilmington), enjoy an exploration of “The Waters of the Cape Fear.” Journey down the Cape Fear River – from freshwater streams and swamps, to coastline habitats, reefs and the open ocean - discovering unique habitats and aquatic wildlife. Meet a rare albino alligator named Luna. See the only spotted eagle ray on exhibit in the state. Get eye-to-eye with a loggerhead sea turtle. Talk to a SCUBA diver swimming with sharks rays and eels. Discover N.C.’s fiercest predator at the interactive Megalodon Exhibit. Touch sea stars, horseshoe crabs and even sharks! Play outside in the Adventure Reef play area. Free daily programs include dive presentations, animal feedings and encounters. Explore more with behind-the-scenes tours, outdoor adventures, classes, camps and more. Open 362 days a year, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily (closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day). Tickets available at the door and online.
Long Island
64 attraction reviews
“Give it a shot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

This aquarium was larger then I was expecting and I really had a good time. The price was very reasonable $8 a person is not bad considering every other aquarium I have been to charges you upwards of $15 a person and you are finished with them in half the time. In the area definitely give it a shot.

Gettysburg, Pa
3 attraction reviews
“Had fun at the aquarium”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2007

Spent a rainy day at the aquarium. Really nice place and educational or just plain fascinating, whichever you prefer. Wonderful family place and for the seniors as well. My favorite are always the jelly fish, and I was not disappointed, they had many of them! The tanks were clean and the glass was easy to view through. Because of the rain we didn't explore the outside of the park, but even so it was well worth going.

NC
3 attraction reviews
“Exhibits are great -- staff/volunteers are rude”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

This is a wonderful place to see sea life, but during our visit, I found the attitudes of the staff/volunteers to be downright appalling. They have a place where you can touch the small stingrays, and I watched them scold children harshly if they pulled one up out of the water a bit or did something else that wasn't correct.

I think it's very important when dealing with young children to show them how to do something right instead of criticizing harshly when they do something wrong. They also should have big signs posted saying "don't pull out of the water" if it's so important, so parents can coach their kids.

The woman at the ticket booth was rude when we were going in, and in the gift shop, it was absolute chaos and the workers didn't seem to know how to get the lines organized.

I was impressed with the habitats, the tanks, the animals -- etc.

The staff however needs some training in how to deal with the public and to ensure that their visitors are welcomed. I have been to other aquariums -- Gatlinburg, Chattanooga -- and they are so great working with kids, and with adults too.

This place (attitude-wise) needs a lot of improvement. I believe the attitudes of employees directly relate to management style. There needs to be better training of these kids who are hired for summer work, because the ones they have right now -- July 2007, don't know how to treat the public.

Maxton North Carolina
“Great family day the Aquarium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2007

The aquarium was great. There was 4 adults and 2 small children in our group. We had an excellent time. The staff greated us like we were part of their family. I have been to several aquariums over the past 6 years and I enjoyed this one the best. We went on a Monday. It was not crowed at all. The children ejoyed everything and we were actually the only group in certain areas so we could really see everything up close and take our time. Great value for a family.......The cost was very low.