“Why rent a house?” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kitty Hawk
New York City, New York
“Why rent a house?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Renting a house on the Outer Banks ties you to all the other tourists. The management companies force all the visitors to arrive and leave on certain days of the week so you are always stuck in traffic with everyone else. You also have to buy all those household items that a rental house needs, and then throw away the extras after a few days. The entire process can be a huge ordeal.

We saved money and hassle by staying at this Hilton Garden Inn for a few days over the Fourth, and it was perfect. The location is close to the action in KH and an easy drive to Nags Head, KDH, and points further north or south.The room was a perfectly fine Garden Inn with its own pool and beach access. If you just want to enjoy the fun and sun for a few days, this is a great option for the Outer Banks.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Winchester, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton two nights this week. Overall, the hotel was very average. A bit on the plain side for a Hilton. The bed was pretty comfortable and housekeeper did make it in our room to clean up in between nights. I did find it odd that the housekeeper threw away a seashell I had collected from the beach. We had a partial ocean view and it wasn't the best view. The bad part was the noise coming from the air conditioning system and the eye sore you saw as soon as you stepped onto the balcony. I also wish there was some more items on their menu. I was craving some desserts to have delivered to the room but there was only three items (2 of which were cream cheese items, which I don't like). All in all, I would recommend staying here but don't waste your money on an upgraded room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlantic Beach, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn was fantastic. It was one of the best maintained hotels I've stayed in on the Outer Banks. We were thrilled that when we checked in we were upgraded to an oceanfront room. It was a fantastic stay, oceanfront hotel, indoor and outdoor pool, nice room, great amenities and an accommodating staff. I would go back time and time again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Lorton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We took a trip during the 4th of July week for my wife's birthday. It was a last minute trip and the hotel was great in accommodating us even though we made the reservation the same day that we went down. We went with our two children, ages one and two, and we were even given complimentary cribs and breakfast for my wife's birthday.

The location really could not be better. You drive across the bridge and go straight to the beach and there is the hotel. It is at the northern end of the beach road. Across the street are a few restaurants, a Duck Donuts, and a Rite Aid.

The beach was clean and not very crowded. You can rent beach chairs and umbrellas from the hotel. It cost $15 for two chairs and an umbrella. They will set them up for you. The pier is also great for fishing or sightseeing. Hotel guests have complimentary access to the pier.

The room was EXCELLENT. Everything was clean. The beds were very comfortable. The view from our third floor oceanfront room was unbeatable. The outdoor pool was very nice and clean and the courtyard area is a nice place to hangout.

The staff was excellent. Everyone in the hotel was accepting and accommodating of our two small kids. They were quick and courteous and answered all of our questions. Breakfast was great with a buffet and a cook to order chef.

The only thing that bothered me, and this is nitpicking, was that the air conditioning in our room was very loud.

All around, the hotel was fantastic and we would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view, but levels 2 through 5 all have great views. Oceanfront i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Gloucester, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here in April, 2013, to celebrate my husband's birthday. It's a pretty property and located conveniently just off the Bypass at MP 1. Usual amenties for an HGI, but be aware that complimentary breakfast is not offered for Hilton Honors members. WiFi good, room fairly large, beds standard, etc., but what sets this property apart is the location and its own pier located just in front. While we were there it was cold, windy and drizzly; however, the pier views are divine. We weren't able to enjoy the firepit in the center of the hotel but imagine it's lovely when the weather permits!

Room Tip: The higher up, the better the views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Witney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed for just the night in mid-June with my girlfriend. The location, set-up and general convenience of this property is near on perfect.

We did encounter some issues with room service due to a lack of chefs that night but the hostess handled it very well and offered us complimentary drinks as a gesture of good will. Despite the slow service it's incredibly refreshing to know that the management here employ staff who can think on their feet and put customer service first.

The only downside was the balcony in our room was a bit out of shape with lots of flakey paint on the rails which made it look a bit naff. Other than that room was great.

This is by far the best experience I've had at a Hilton and I wouldn't hesitate to stay their again and for much longer this time too.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the sea-view rooms. We had top floor highest room number and views were amazing.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Greenville, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have stayed at this facility many times before however most recently it was the customer service that caused me to write this review. I was unable to keep my reservation due to things out of my control and didn't cancel it. The staff was amazing in working with me and righting my wrong. Thank you to the amazing staff and specifically Evan (????) at the front desk.
Thanks again. I will be back for sure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk? Share your experiences!