“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Pelican Seafood Co.

Black Pelican Seafood Co.
3848 Virginia Dare Trail, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949-4278
Ranked #13 of 65 Restaurants in Kitty Hawk
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Clemmons, North Carolina
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have eaten there before several years ago for lunch. We had dinner there this past trip and it was excellent. My wife had baked shrimp and crab and I had beef tenderloin with crab and hollandaise sauce. Both were excellent. Service was also excellent. Located in an old Life Guard Station where Wright Brothers first wired home the success of their flight. Casual. Granted we were there in off-season, but tends to be very busy during summer.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Long Wait.. Ok Food. Great Server”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had about a 2 hour wait for the Black Pelican. We tried to make reservations since we had such a large party for after a wedding on the beach, but they didn't take them. The place was crowded for the middle of the week which I took to be a great sign. And of course we were going because this was a Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives restaurant,.. and anywhere that has been on that show always looks like the food is great!

So after the 2 hour wait, I found the food to just be ok. My husband even said the food was just ok. Which was disappointing. I was expecting something a little better.

Now, I cannot say anything bad about the service. Our waitress was delightful. She was great to the two little children we had with us and with it being so late into their service she was really nice. She was very accommodating and pleasant and got everyone's orders correct. And she served the group of 18 people unassisted which definitely was great.

I would just have to put this one at average though.. I know some people love it. And the ambiance is really cool. They had a great band playing in the bar and a great energy in the place. Plus the building is really cool.. but the food not what I was expecting.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Pretty average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Let me preface this review by stating that nothing was bad about the meal, but nothing was good/memorable about it either. I had lunch here and cant say I'm itching to return. There was a very odd/unpleasant smell in the dining room when I arrived, but I dealt with it. The menu wasnt overly inspiring, but I chose the chicken salad sandwich as it stated on the menu that it was their most popular seller. I found it to be a bit dry, and I will say with confidence that my homemade chicken salad is better that the Black Pelican's. Perhaps I should give them my recipe. The sandwich came with fries, and they were pretty limp and not hot. Certainly not the worst meal I have ever had, but definitely not the best either. The service was fine, but I doubt I return.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Roosevelt, New Jersey, United States
“Good local place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We rent a place in Kitty Hawk and visit the Black Pelican on the first night every summer. We always split the Mediterranean chopped salad and each have an entrée from the basic but interesting menu; if we're feeling particularly hungry (and sinful), we split a piece of pie (well worth it). It can take a while to get a table when crowded, but it's usually easy to get a seat and eat at the bar.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Germantown
“Delicious Meal, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I had dinner at Black Pelican after a rave recommendation from my mom, and we were glad we did. Honestly, I cannot beleive I had never stopped in before considering it is less than a mile from our beach house (sorry about that!). My husband is always looking for a place with great beer selection and big crab legs where I want fresh fish with crispy well seasoned veggies, both were available here. The dessert was amazing too! After a very satisfying meal we had a long walk on the beach that is directly in front of the restaurant before we returned to the house. Thanks Black Pelican! We will return again with as many trips as we make to OBX.

• Visited October 2013