“This is our 8th year with Barrier Island Station” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barrier Island Station at Kitty Hawk

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kitty Hawk
Barrier Island Station at Kitty Hawk
You added Barrier Island Station at Kitty Hawk to your Saves list
1 Cypress Knee Trail, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949   |
Salem, Virginia
“This is our 8th year with Barrier Island Station”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Our first year at BIS Kitty Hawk was in 2004. My In-laws have a time share there and our WHOLE family has been able to vacation together each year! And I have to mention thats 20 people!!
We love this area. Nice and quiet and conveniently located. You want to go to the beach, you are there in less than 10 minutes. Want to go to the pool, you can walk there in less than 5 minutes. A bike ride is fun and very safe. Want to work out on machines? They have that too. Want a heated indoor pool for water aerobics, thats there too. Want to relax in the jacuzzi, they have that too!
You can enjoy your vacation and never have to leave the resort. Like I said we have been going for 8 years now.
This year we stayed in one of the older units. It was very nice. Maybe not as updated as the newer buildings, but still nice. I think the economy has taken a hit at BIS because we did not see but one maintenance worker the whole week. Normally we would see them everywhere. There was no activities coordinator this time either. But thats ok. They really dont need it.
It's a great place. And I think if we give it time, they will begin the updates needed and it will be just as lovely as the first 7 years we were there!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

This was my first trip to the Outer Banks and first I must say there is a lot to do and see there and we will return. I traveled with my husband and young daughter. Barrier Island Station was a good choice. The room was a little dated but overall clean, we did kill a couple of spiders here and there which left me feeling anxious since I hate spiders! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The resort is close to shopping, restaurants, attractions, etc...but nestled back away from the beach and surrounded by lots of vegetation. That is one thing I did not care for, there were lots of shade trees but also lots of bugs! Make sure that you have lots of bug spray nearby. On the day we left I counted 9 bug bites on my right leg alone. The indoor and outdoor pools were very large and the outdoor pool was kept at a warm temperature which was very nice. There is no real "oven" in the room so we were unable to bake anything. The unit we were in shared a washer and dryer with the other unit so it was a little aggravating when your neighbors decided to do laundry at midnight or later. The walls are thin so there was lots of noise at times especially when doors were being closed. We stayed in a top unit so there were about 30 steps up to our unit. That may bother some people. There was no free wi-fi that I could find but you have the option to buy it the week and I think the price was around $45. The bed was comfortable and the shower had great water pressure which you don't always find when traveling. The beach access was also really nice; not crowded and easy to access.I really did enjoy my stay here and think that my family and I will go back. The only thing I really did not like was all of the bugs and that is something the resort really can't control and once you are out on the beach or touring other places the bugs are pretty much non-existent. Just get a good bottle of bug spray for the hike up to your unit and you will be ok.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Bridgewater, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

This was our second visit to Barrier Island Station at Kitty Hawk. Last time we had a two bedroom unit since we brought our daughter and friend with us. Since it was just the two of us this time, we went with the one bedroom. The decor was exactly the same as last time, but our unit was definitely smaller. We didn't have the jacuzzi in our room this time, as we did last time. That was very disappointing, since we didn't use it last time. (remember-daughter and friend was with us). Also, there was only a stove top and convection/microwave oven. No stove. Since I have no idea how to work a convection oven, we didn't cook much in it. Too bad I didn't realize that BEFORE we went shopping. I guess there are different levels of rooms.

The staff was nice and we had a quick check in. They gave us cards to use if we went to the pool and wanted to get towels. But hey!!! No one was there to get towels from!!!

Lots of wildlife! Our upstairs neighbors left their door open during the day and a racoon wandered into their unit!

Loved the beach parking. Nice and close to the beach. Only wish they had restrooms nearby.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Fayetteville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

I regret ever signing up with this place! In fact, I called my salesman within the designated period that you can legally back out, and I told him that we wanted out. He said he would have to talk to his manager about it. Conveniently, it took several days to receive a call back from his manager. When the manager called he said we would have needed to send a written notice to BIS within the grace period, but the grace period had now ended by a couple of days. Our salesman that we called never made mention of this fact to us. We were now stuck.

There are several fees associated with the "timeshare" (although they don't like to use that word there) that they did not go over very well with us during the sales pitch. They sold us on the idea our "timeshare" wasn't like the other timeshares that other companies had sold in the past. Now everything was based on points through RCI, and you can cash in these points at other destinations worldwide. By the time you start looking at all the fees associated with cashing in your points you quickly realize it doesn't seem like much of a bargain. Anyone can get a comparable deal if they have ever haggled for nice hotel/resort in person.

We have started looking into ways to get rid of our timeshare week, but we are literally going to loose thousands of dollars. They will try to convince you that it is an investment, but DO NOT BELIEVE THEM! You can literally do a search right now and find many weeks available online for less than half the price what you pay directly from BIS. If they offer you a free weekend at Kitty Hawk to come check them out, accept the free vacation. The outer banks are one of the nicer areas of NC. My wife and I fell in love with the outer banks the first time we visited them. However, DO NOT fall for the sales pitch! You will regret it later when you reread the fine print later!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington Borough, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

We arrived at around 5:00 pm on 12/26/2010. Everything was closed because of the blizzard, fair enough I can grant them that, they did leave the keys with the gatehouse. The gate house keeper was very friendly, which is more than I can say for the check in staff.

When I went in the next morning to sign in and request a shovel to clean the outside wooden steps to the second floor apartment, they wanted me to sign a waiver holding the timeshare and owners harmless if any of my family fell. I asked again if they had a shovel they said "no, but the snow should melt, we don't normally get snow here". I signed the form as they requested with the following, "signed under duress all legal rights reserved" and explained that it meant that if my family fell down the stairs we still had options. I then went and swept and cleaned the steps myself with my ice scraper from the car. The company did clean the roads the and add salt to the steps by the afternoon of the Monday.

The room itself was clean and there were decks wrapped around the apartment and a BBQ downstairs. There was a shower in the room, but it did not work. A full size fridge was a plus as was the laundry that we shared with one other apartment. The walls seemed hollow meaning that sound travels when people moved in next door we hear could the neighbors and I am sure they could hear us.

We booked through RCI and they said that the resort had a pool and a jacuzzi. This is partly true, the whole truth is that the resort shares the indoor pool and jacuzzi with the fitness center that is run by the same company meaning that if a class is running with two locals and an instructor the entire indoor pool is closed to RCI guests. This fact is not disclosed during booking and is slipped in a hand full papers given over a check in. During the summer this should not be a problem because of the outdoor pool, but in the dead of winter when most families are booking a resort for the indoor pool you would think that they would find someway to divide the pool so that the kids could swim.

High speed internet is available via WIFI at the pool, but reception is terrible another guest did laps around the pool looking for reception. The OBX option costs forty-five dollars per week. In 2011 most hotels, hang on...most budget hotels provide WIFI free of charge.

On the plus side the resort does have beach parking, the sales team is not very hard sell, the staff at the fitness center are friendly. The resort is also near the Wright Brothers Museum, plenty of restaurant and shops, the lost colony, and a beach where you can drive on the sand and look for horses.

The sleep quality is listed as poor because the beds were hard, but I guess if you like a firm mattress it would be okay. Overall I would say this resort is average, which is a shame because with its location and natural resources it could be much more.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

We arrived for check in about 3:30, a half hour before you were allowed to check in, and we had no problems with it. Our clerk was very friendly, very helpful and efficient. We received our keys and proceeded to the unit. Upon checking it out, the main bathroom shower doors were totally out of the "track". We found that to be very strange, and husband corrected it with no problems. ??? Not sure what happened there. For the most part, the unit was clean. They need to do a good thorough cleaning once to get overhead fans, and other hidden away dust catchers. The unit was a 1 bedroom unit, that slept 6 people. It had 2 flat screen TVs and a screened off porch. The full size kitchen had lots of "available" cupboard space. We did some cooking in the unit, but ate a lot of our meals out, too. There is a Walmart near, but it is not a Super Walmart, so you cannot get any fresh fruits, vegetables, deli, etc. There is a Food Lion across the street from Walmart for those type of items. Be sure to bring your own coffee filters. None are provided. Plus, they only provide 2 packets of dishwasher detergent, and a very small bottle of dish soap. Also, they only provided 4 small bars of bath soap. Since there was only 2 of us staying, we had enough, but if you had 6 people in the unit, there definitely was not enough. So, they are a "tad" skimpy on those type of amenities. For free Wifi, you had to go to the office or sit outside the office area. It was pretty slow, too, and no fun sitting in the dark at night! You could get Wifi in the unit, but it would cost $45 for the week. That's more than my pocketbook can afford! If it was $10 a week, we would have paid for it. There was a shared laundry area, just outside our unit's door. It had a washer and dryer, so it was nice to have that available. The drawback to it being right outside our door was people were doing their laundry at midnight. That is just darn right rude, but people just don't care anymore. We went to the pancake/sausage breakfast one morning that they offered for $3. It was decent for $3 a person. They were suppose to talk about things to do in the area, but the gal that was giving the talk, kept getting phone calls on her cell phone, so she would leave the room, and we would be left sitting until she returned. After the 2nd phone call, we left. They have a nice pool area. We did not use it, but did look at it. It has a hottub for adults only, which is nice to have. Plus a steam and sauna room for both sexes. They offered various aerobic/water aerobic classes and other classes of interest, too. We did not go to any of them either, so cannot report on them. Barrier Island Station has its own parking lot along the beach which is nice, too. We would most definitely stay here again, but maybe request a 2nd floor unit instead of 1st floor. With it being off season, it really, really was quiet though.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

We had read the reviews so our expectations weren't too high. Initially, we thought it was great. The grounds are beautiful, and the unit was pretty large. But soon we realized that the paper tie around the toilet seat was a joke; the toilet wasn't completely clean at all. The staff is nice, but completely anal in following regulations. The managers must be terrors! You can't check in until 4pm ON THE DOT! No matter what! They supply the minimum. It took us 3 calls and 2 days to get dishwasher soap for one load of dishes. (Would you like to check into rooms where the previous guests had washed the dishes by hand? not me!) The decorative plastic flowers in the bathroom and dining room were filthy; we recommended they just toss them in the trash!

But don't get entirely the wrong impression. The units are roomy even though we only had a queen size bed (yuck) with functional kitchens and washer/dryers in the hallways. The fitness center is huge; the pool area is nice. It's in a central location for the Outer Banks, but it is NOT within walking distance of the beach. You could ride bikes there, but it's probably at least 2 miles. There is a private parking lot across the street from the beach for guests/owners, which came in very handy since we ate twice at the restaurant next to it (Ocean Blvd), which was crowded and served amazing food!

If you have a week that needs to be used (as we did), it served the purpose well. But we usually stay at our weeks in Marriott or Hyatt Resorts with fantastic service and gorgeous locations. This resort is a 2 compared to a 10 for those resorts.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Barrier Island Station at Kitty Hawk? Share your experiences!