“Clean, safe and very nice folks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Adventure Bound Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kitty Hawk
Adventure Bound Campground
You added Adventure Bound Campground to your Saves list
1004 W Kitty Hawk Rd, Kitty Hawk, NC 27949   |
Port Matilda, Pennsylvania
“Clean, safe and very nice folks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

My dog and I camped at the campground. Had a very nice time. Jim and his wife were wonderful. The accommodations were clean, neighbors were friendly and didn't mind the peacocks at all (they are noisiest during mating season). Being alone I felt very safe. There was a night security person keeping an eye on things and Jim and his wife were there during the day. Thanks for being great to my dog and me. We will definitely be back. Hope you fair well during Hurricane Earl...thinking about you. Barbara and Cowboy

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
York,PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

After reading the reviews put on here by others, My son, nephew and I decided we were going to have open minds, and give Adventure Bound a try. We were a bit skeptical, but we figured if it was as bad as some people say, we would just go elsewhere. We arrived later in the day, and we didn't know what to expect before our arrival. It was a little different than we thought, but it seemed fine to us. It's not anything fancy; but we weren't looking for fancy- we just wanted a reasonably priced place to come back to in the evening to eat & sleep, and that's what we found here. We figured out that it would cost us each $11.00 per person per night to stay (plus tax)...Where else on earth are you going to find such a value on OBX in the middle of July?
The bathrooms aren't spic & span, but we saw the cleaning lady come twice a day, once in the morning, and again in the evening. If you have 50 campers trekking in and out of the restrooms throughout the day, of course they won't stay clean. Also people in general have a common tendency NOT to pick up after themselves.
We did meet the peacocks, and they made some noise the first 2 evenings, for a bit. After that, we didn't hear a peep out of them, and we never heard them at night like some people said they had. I was told they only make noise when they're scared or startled. If you don't bother them, they probably will be alright. By the end of the week, I had a few of them eating small pieces of bread out of the palm of my hand.
We had pitched out tent in the woods, and after a rain storm the first night, we ended up moving to another spot still in the woods, but on a higher, more level lot. If you know it's going to rain during your stay, I would suggest you go to higher ground-many people got flooded out due to the tremendous amount of rain that fell. I don't really recommend staying back near the swamp....unless you like hearing lots of frogs singing at night, and having lots of mosquitos around. We were pretty content with where we pitched the 2nd time(somewhat cool & shady) and after it rained again, we stayed dry. After speaking with the owner, I concluded that he is a no nonsense man that takes things seriously pertaining to the campground. I have to respect him for how he handles things. I felt that any problem I had would be taken care of without a hitch.
If you're looking for a campground that has all the bells & whistles, and everything under the sun, then I wouldn't recommend coming here. It's a very basic place to stay.I will say that in the day time most people are gone, so it's very quiet, peaceful and quite relaxing also. Keep in mind that the fancier places charge a bit more, and we didn't come to OBX to sit in the campground all day and do things there. We came to go to the beach, see the sights, shop, eat, etc. We weren't interested in fancy; just plain & simple. That's what we found at Adventure Bound. I will be glad to come here again, the next time I visit OBX- Give it a try!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
durham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

This campground is nothing special at all. They do not seem to care much about up keep of the property. The bathrooms were extremely dirty and to top it off they discriminate! The gentleman who runs the place had a real problem with me and my wife, as we are a gay couple. He was rude and curt and I would discourage people away from supporting a business that believes in bigotry. I would've left had it not been a couple loss of a vacation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Kitty Hawk hotels

Wellman, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

The company was delightful and staff very helpful. Turns out the loudness of the peacocks during the night outweighed their beauty. Could work on providing more shade and maybe revamp the building, looks a little shady. Bathhouse could be improved and updated. But who doesn't want a little adventure in their life? We sure had adventure. Bike trails were awesome.

-Maria Yoder and Emily Miller

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Smithfield, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

The campground was decent although i was afraid someone was going to jump out of the bushes and kill me. It had hot showers but they were kind of dirty. The most annoying thing i have ever experienced was their peacocks. OH MY GOD they squaked all night good god from sunrise to sunrise they make noise. i hope you dont plan on sleeping or have another place to sleep.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

We have stayed here several time and as camping goes it's a great place. Nice people.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Buies Creek,NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

I decided to wing my trip and stay at the cheapest place I could find and this was it. I stayed in a dorm room for $28 with tax and I didn't have any roommates. They biggest problem I had was the horrendous smell in the room and dirty bathrooms/showers. Also the place could use some remodeling. But for $28.00 what do want. Also there is no internet, tv, or much to do here. But you are very close to the beach and other attractions.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Adventure Bound Campground? Share your experiences!