“DO NOT STAY HERE!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of River Inn

River Inn
You added River Inn to your Saves list
River Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   208 E New Bern Rd, Kinston, NC 28504 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kinston
Lumberton, North Carolina
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Booked the room through Choice Privilidges.Motel lobby was filthy and had an odor. The Indian male behind the counter was extremely rude and arrogant. He has no respect for ladies. We were so disgusted by the filth and his attitude that I called Choice Privilidges and had them cancel my reservation and book us into another motel. I would not recommend this motel for anyone! If I had read the reviews first it would have saved us alot of trouble. I would highly recommend the Quality Inn in Kinston.

Room Tip: Quality Inn Kinston, NC
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Salisbury, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

First I'd note that the sign says, "Under new management." I only saw the one man at the front desk both at night and the next morning, and he was ultra nice. So, I do wish him well.

With that note, I must say this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I'm fine with a budget hotel when we just want to sleep and be on our way. I just want a clean and comfortable room in those cases. Econo Lodge was neither clean nor comfortable.

The first thing I noticed was the carpet was worn out and filthy. In places, the pile was worn through to the liner. It had big stains in several places. And, it felt sticky. I wore my shoes in the room.

A battery was missing in the remote of the big bulky TV. The manager got a battery and checked to be sure that worked. That's how I knew he was trying.

We settled in, and the AC sounded like a train. Clang. Clang. It wasn't very cool either. Then I fell to sleep, and a burning smell woke me up. Hot air was coming out of the AC along with the smell of something burning. I guess the motor burned out. I got it turned off, and we spent a hot night in the room, since this happened at 1 a.m.

I went in the bathroom after the burning AC issue and noticed hair all along the walls (and a couple stuck to the inside of the tub) and also dirty walls and a super wrinkled shower curtain.

The sheets looked clean (and I hope they were), but they were worn thin (kind of limp and pilly), and the pillow was flat as a pancake. It was too hot to use the covers. So I was laying there hot and wondering if there were roaches and bedbugs. I never saw any bugs, so that was the plus point along with the new manager being nice.

Maybe they will upgrade at the Econo Lodge Kinston, but right now it's filthy and in horrible disrepair.

Room Tip: Ask to see a room before paying. We booked ahead, and we would not have stayed if we knew about thes...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Taylorsville, Utah
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We had to go here because there was no other place near Camp Lejune that would allow pets on the dates we needed. And they charge you $50 per pet. It looks like an old run down Howard Johnsons. The rooms are not very well maintained, the pool has no water and the breakfast is a joke... I wouldn't even sit in the chair in our room, it was gross. The pillows were so flat, disappeared into the bed. The bathtub was chipping away, the carpet was disgusting...don't stay here if you can help it.

Room Tip: One with a keycard that worked, ours didn't, the manager had to be called everytime we had to ge...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Plainfield, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

We have a son stationed out near here, we stayed here last year, june/2011 and it was okay. We went here may/2012 and i didn't know a place could downhill so fast. Don't let the pictures fool you, the pool is never filled, they got rid of the buffet that used to be there. Our room was moldy, and my daughter woke up with bites on both her arms. Not a clean room at all. We left and went to a different place. Also, not really feeling all that safe there after dark.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sanford, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

First thing the clerk said when I checked in was that it's under new mgmt and is being renovated. The room was clean, freshly painted and clean towels and linens. No micro or coffee pot. Desk chair was filthy and carpet needs cleaning or replacing. i reported all to front desk when I checked out and the mgr wrote everything down that i spoke of. Internet connection was excellent. Best part of the stay...LOL...

Room Tip: wait a year before you try it
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
winston salem nc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

The party started at midnight in all the rooms around us, loud music, cursing, fighting, yelling, etc. called the front desk over and over and did not get answer till 4 am and was told to just call the police. I left at 4:30 am and just drove 4 hours home so I could sleep. I have called and asked for the manager to call me to discuss the issue but so far he has not. the experience was so bad that I have called the corportate office to complain. I travel a lot for my job, and this was the worse!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Kennesaw, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

This place is filthy, moldy and run down. There are exposed electrical wiries, holes in walls, cracked tiles in the bath, stains on carpet, smell of mildew and mold, beer cans lying around the grounds as well as piles of trash strewn about the grounds. There is a bicycle in the lobby next to the breakfast bar. It has the feel of a New Delhi slum. I'm still looking for the goat. I know there must be one tied up somewhere.

Room Tip: Inspect the room before you accept it. Don't be afraid to demand another room when you find the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to River Inn? Share your experiences!