“Terrible...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kinston
Quebec, Canada
“Terrible...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Room smell bad, tv nor wifi not working, did a mistake in the billing... avoid this place. The view..... on cimetery... I'm sure you can find better option in the area..................................

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kinston, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Dear tarball,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow me to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations and the billing. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I have sent you a private message to obtain some additional details regarding your stay. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Beds and linnens are awesome! Breakfast is really good! Service for breakfast is also great.
Other service is just, ok! No hot water, broken tile in bathroom.
Not very nice surroundings. People mowed a field and trash was everywhere.
Stayed here 2 times and then found a nice place just down the road!

• Stayed July 2012
Whitesburg, Ky.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I've been coming to Kinston annually for a large Car and Truck show for several years now. I usually stay at the Hampton, but this year I decided to try the Holiday Inn Express as the rates were better online. To me, the HIE is in the same class of hotels as the Hampton Inn so I expected a very similar experience as the Hampton in Kinston didn't impress me too much either. Maybe I'm just too picky?

First and foremost; the staff is excellent. All of them were very professional and courteous, from the front desk staff down to the housekeeping staff (one housekeeper in particular, I believe her name was Joyce, was so pleasant my dad who was traveling with me wanted to hire her for his company back home in Kentucky!) I couldn't give them enough accolades.

However, the hotel itself FELT like a low to mid-range hotel that had been re-branded and slightly refreshed. I expected this to be a 20 year old property and formerly a hotel such as a Days Inn or a Ramada. I was very surprised when upon check-out the front desk manager told me that it was only 5 or 6 years old.

The rooms were VERY small for HIE standards. I had a double and it was not very spacious. It felt very cramped and for the price I paid, I would like a room I can feel relaxed in. The room was clean. The bathroom, however, while cleaned, showed serious signs of aging not appropriate for a newer hotel. The wallpaper was very dingy and coming off in spots. A very poor repaint around the doors covered the hinges in spots. The tile grout was starting to blacken. No vent in the bathroom I found odd. The lock in the bathroom did not work correctly. The wireless internet continuously dropped out in our room.

The access to the hotel was victim of a very strange road layout. The access road from the main highway spur was a series of 90 degree turns with very poor signage that could cause somebody very easily to end up in an overgrown grass field in poor light. The median between the lanes of the short two lane spur was very confusing and required me to go down to the neighboring Wal-Mart to even turn around and get to the hotel parking lot. I did appreciate the proximity of the very nice movie theater and Wal-Mart, however! Parking was acceptable, neither great nor poor. Not a great hotel for pulling a show vehicle on a trailer, however.

I did not try the breakfast, but it seemed to be very well stocked and the dining area was quite nice. The evenings had cookies and fruit out in the (surprisingly small) lobby however, which was very considerate.

Again, just a very "meh" experience here. Not a terrible hotel, yet not a great hotel either. Needs a little work for the price (121.50 a night for our stay; I would've felt a lot more comfortable in the 60-70 dollar range for this property). There's not a lot of hotels that I saw in the area that I would chose from again, so next year I'll probably be back here or at the Hampton. Use your own judgement on this one.

Room Tip: Pretty quiet place so room location doesn't seem to be too much of an issue. Very bad weather th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have to travel to Kinston on business often and the Holiday Inn Express is the only place I go. Staff is very friendly, rooms are quiet and nice, and breakfast is stocked. Great experience. I would highly recommend this hotel. Also, restaurants are very close by.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Perryopolis, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I wasn't very familiar with this area when I made the reservation which made me a little skeptical at first but the area was gorgeous and the hotel was so nice. The staff was super friendly, every single one of them that I saw. The rooms were very spacious which is odd in these days and everything was very clean which is my most critical point for any hotel. Oh, and as a bonus the free breakfast was amazing I could't of bought a larger breakfast anywhere. I would definitley stay here and recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012 via mobile

Unfortunate for me, this reservation was made for me by one of the ladies at our factory. I came into town for one night on a business trip. The hotel is in disrepair; this will be the first and final time I stay here. It is a shame, given how close and convenient it could have been. That said, the wallpaper is is dingy and peeling from wall, the doorjam is not affixed or properly adhered to frame, the trashcan appears to have a huge blob of white-out on it, water damage on ceiling, dirty and noisy air conditioner, damaged black-out curtain, dirty toilet and a very uncomfortable mattress. This is certainly not worth $124 a night.

To be frank, I am geniunely saddened and disturbed that my employer has a corporate rate and standing relationship with this hotel. I will be sure to show the images I took to our travel coordinator and relay this negative experience to him.

• Stayed June 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kinston, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear CidGirl,

Thank you for taking time to post your review. I am pleased you found our location convenient to your business needs. I want to assure you that we work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking time to give feedback as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGcare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Had a longer than expected trip to Kinston and decided to stay overnight. Check-in was smooth and I was able to get a King room at an amazing rate. The room was clean and the breakfast was top notch.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kinston? Share your experiences!