“Great view of the beach, but not four star” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Maryland
“Great view of the beach, but not four star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

This hotel is not as modern as I expected. Staff was great, hot tub was great, pool was clean but the old musty smell, and bugs in the bathroom were not so great.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
ComfortInnKDH, Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
Thank you for your kind words regarding the hotel staff. Our groundskeeper was happy that the hot tub and pool meet your approval. I see that you stayed with us after Hurricane Earl. We did have oceanfront rooms that took on water during the storm. We have worked with a restoration crew to eliminate the old musty smell you experienced. I hope that you will try us again the next time you are in the area. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Warm regards,
Marian Walworth
Assistant General Manager
(252)441-6333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Southington, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Stayed here only for one night - location is the only thing this hotel has going for it!!!..
Needs updating and a good cleaning.....

Hertford, North Carolina, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I agree with other reviewers that this place needs some work. The first thing you notice when you come in is that the lobby looks almost new. Then as you work your way away from the lobby towards the hotel, the fun begins. If you are in a wheel chair, I wish you BEST of LUCK getting up the ramps. Even walking up the ramps is a chore and I'm only 35. The steps are so spread out you could probably get up the steps better. The elevator is very narrow and SLOW. I was on the second floor in an oceanfront room. The view was awesome. Like others have mentioned though, the musty smell is there, and mold is very prominent on the ceilings and around the top of the room. That being said, you have to allow for that in a beach front hotel. Not everyone keeps the door shut during their stay if they have an oceanfront room. So, with the humidity and the a/c and everything else added to the equation, you are GOING TO HAVE MOLD. I've lived in NC my whole life and that is just something you contend with. Granted I clean it up if it starts on or in my house, but I don't have 100+ rooms to clean either. The bathroom was OK. They've done some remodeling to that. The sinks were fairly new and everything was stocked adequately. The shower was old. The tile was buckled in a couple of places and cracked. This being said, when you go to the beach, how much time do you really spend in your hotel anyway. If you are here on business, spring for the higher end hotels, if you are here for the weekend get-away this will suffice, and if you are here for a long vacation I would spring for a cottage.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

The first room that we were given was so dirty I was sick to my stomach. They had not vacuumed or cleaned the food off of the table and nightstand. There was wood dust on the floor from the casing around the refrigerator and black mold on the ceilings and walls. We went to the front desk, I was ready to leave and find another hotel but my better half decided to ask them for a second room. This room was slightly better, mostly clean surfaces, fairly vacuumed, and towels in the bathroom. However the towels were stained and hair was all over the bathroom. A gorgeous view though. Maybe after they renovate the place it will be decent, but surely the price will sky rocket.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed here over the Labor Day weekend, right after Earl blew through. As we came with our dog, we were limited to staying on the first floor, which offered no view, but I knew that when I made the reservation, so not a big deal. The bathroom looked to have been recently renovated and the beds were comfy enough. However, the first night our air conditioner quit working. We reported it first thing in the morning and a service man repaired it that day while we were out. They also took off one night's stay, which was very generous. The room did smell a bit like a wet dog, but it was a pet room, so we bought some Febreze and sprayed it down. There was also dampness on the carpet as a result of the rain blowing in from Earl. A bit humid and stuffy, but it is right on the ocean.

The breakfast was typical, but satisfactory. Regarding the front desk, I found when I had called I always spoke to pleasant staff members, but I didn't notice that the staff was very friendly when we came in and out of the property. However, they were prompt with dealing with the air conditioner issue, so no complaints.

We were unable to obtain any reception for our iPhone or internet in the room, more than likely as a result of being on the lower floor.

Overall, our stay was pleasant enough for the time we spent in the room, however, it is still a bit pricey for what we got.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

We stayed here for one night luckily before our vacation home opened and what a nasty place. The carpet was ripping up from the floor in the lobby hallway. Our room smelled like mold terribly and I thought it was the carpet but unfortunately found out it was our beds which were wet and no other rooms were available of course. The bathroom was dirty and there was hair all over in there from the shower to the floor and walls. My daughter's Ipod was lost/stolen!?! We found clothes on the floor from a previous guest. I would not recommend this hotel and I actually felt dirty when I left and could not wait to take a shower anywhere!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Gainesville, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

The reviews from former travelers pretty much had this one nailed. I already knew what to expect. Chose this one because it was the cheapest price for an ocean front hotel with a pool that I could find. Front lobby looks renovated, but the rest of the hotel is worn down as are most ocean front hotels these days. Pool was dirty, but we spent most of the day there and it was doable. There are hardly any "Pool front" rooms, so expect that your view will be of the tar roof of the front lobby and nothing special. Couldn't get out on the balcony because the door was jammed and couldn't see the pool at all, even though that was description of the room, but I didn't want to splurge for an ocean front room for another $50/night. Saw roaches near the lobby and work out room. Only one piece of equipment works in the workout room. They have the room full, but with a closer look you'll see that the treadmill won't start and the free weight machine has all of the cables cut. Teen step son liked the free continental breakfast, and free coffee all day was nice. Good location on the beach and near shopping. Don't expect a friendly welcome from the front desk. Not once did they say hello when we came through the lobby, hardly even looked up at us. Went to Awful Arthurs for dinner and it wasn't worth the wait. We were told 15 min and waited 1 1/2 hrs. My crab cake was canned crab meat and smelled like tunafish. Not what I expected for OBX. I would try another restaurant for sure next time. This place is okay for folks on a budget, staying for just a few days, but I will try a different place next time.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!