“Perfect Valentine Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
virginia beach
“Perfect Valentine Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the hotel situation on the Outer Banks and have stayed in dozens of them over the years because this is my favorite destination in the world...and it's only two hours away. There are only a handful of pet friendly hotels there and we have taken our dog with us numerous times but have never been thrilled with the pet friendly places until now. I discovered that this hotel is pet friendly when trying to find a place last Thanksgiving. We just went back this past weekend, again with our little dog, for a last minute Valentine celebration. We were very happy with our room and view. There are microwaves and mini-fridges in the rooms and the beds and pillows are nice and comfy. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and accommodating. The renovated lobby/lounge/bar area is very attractive and comfortable, definitely above average for hotels on the Outer Banks. We enjoyed drinks and an appetizer there both nights. The complimentary breakfast is also a nice perk and includes eggs, bacon, grits, etc., not just the normal continental breakfast items you'd expect. The only downside was that the elevator was not in service but they are continuing with renovations and improvements and that is just part of the process. I am just so happy we have found a place my husband and I both like that also welcomes our furry family member. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you, once again, enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate that you decided to stay with us again. We are also glad to hear that you "furry family member" enjoyed their stay with us as well. Our staff tries to ensure the comfort of every guest whether they have two legs or four. It is great to know that they met that mark with your family. All of us look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Apex, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

This hotel could be rated average to above average depending on what you are use to. I traveled for work (rough...I know) in January and ended up getting iced in and spent an entire day at the hotel. First, the price was about $60/night for a great beach view. If you like a view but don't care for the water or heat, this is a great time to go.

The room was cozy and held in the temperate well. I say that because the storm was sending wind gusts that were literally pushing on the outside door and letting the air creep in. I expected to freeze but didn't. That brings me to the door and anything metal at all. Rust...can't be avoided with the salt air but I felt less secure in my room without a deadbolt on the outside facing door. They did place additional locks on the door but I seriously thought with a good effort, I could break through it. The building is older so it has a solid door versus sliding glass doors found on many newer beach front hotels. Just about everything metal in the room had surface rust - even the newer items. I'm not sure what other hotels do to keep this at bay but I was surprised. Again, it is an older hotel so...for it's age, not bad. Renovations were underway to install a new elevator in a new location. The existing elevator required guests to go up a set of stairs or ramp to get to it. This one looks like it will be at ground level. Overall the hotel was clean and well kept.

Breakfast...yum yum! Plenty of options and an attentive staff to make sure it was all available. I had dinner at the lobby bar on my iced in day (chicken ceasar) and it was also very good (BIG). Again, the attendant was very nice.

The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful. When I made reservations, I wanted to make sure that there was no chance of getting a room where pets were allowed. They have no-pet rooms. Important for allergy stricken folk like myself :)

Room Tip: I enjoyed the 2nd floor room. Your view is just above the grassy sand dune to the ocean which frame...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! We are glad to hear that you had a good time. This is a beautiful time of year to visit and the seashells are usually great out back. We are glad you enjoyed our breakfast. Our chef is truly a star! Thank you again for letting us know about your stay. We hope to see you again soon!
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I have no complaints. When I made the reservation the website clearly states the hotel is under construction. I expected a huge mess this last time but it wasn't so. The receptionist was friendly and greeted us promptly and already had our keys ready by the time we got in (very late check in). We stayed in the 4th floor ocean front room. The room and bathrooms were clean, the bed comfortable. What else could we ask for! I do have to say if you need to be close to the ice machine, don't pick the 4th floor. All other floors have ice and the 4th holds the washer and dryer, a very nice thing to have at a hotel specially in the summer.
The 2nd day we met Molly, head housekeeper. She immediately introduced herself (which I thought was really nice) and made sure we had everything we needed in the room and also told us if there was anything else we needed, to please let her know. I thought that was very nice of her and it was comforting knowing someone was looking out for us. (Saw her again on day 3 and was amazed she remembered my name! :)
Breakfast: we travel often and usually stay at Comfort Inns (if available). This particular one has probably one of the best breakfast buffets I've seen. The dining is clean, the food is warm and the service staff is right on top of it.
(4 stars due to old decor in the hallways not due to the room itself. I can't wait to see the renovations finished and then I'll bump it to 5 stars).
I would stay here again..

Room Tip: We stayed in room 417 oceanside. It's a few doors from the elevator but you don't hear it. O...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay. Yes we are currently preforming renovations, but they will be completed soon. We are all excited about the changes and can't wait for them to be done. Thank you for also letting us know about Molly. She is truly a gem and we agree with you that her ways of ensuring guest satisfaction is superb! We will be sure to pass your kind words along and we know she will be more than thrilled. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you soon!
Frederick
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

The first room we were given had a lock that was totally broken. The second room we stayed in didn't close properly.

Everyone should know there is construction on the first floor. Installing an elevator.

The staff is excellent friendly, adhere to detail within their power, and always asking if we needed anything. Great with pets.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms will give you best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for letting us know that the staff was friendly and always willing to help. You will find it difficult to find a friendlier staff who also loves all of the pets who are our guests as well. We are glad that both of you enjoyed your stay. The issue you stated regarding the door locks is being looked in to and we are sorry if this issue hindered your stay. We do wish you a happy holiday and look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Annapolis, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

The hotel room was dirty and disgusting. There was the smell of throw up in the room and the carpet and furniture had stains. There was food nuzzled into the seems of the chair. On the patio there were very random stains from what looked like to be spilled soda. The bathroom was not fully cleaned. On the second day the maid did not change our sheets, she made the bed with the dirty stained sheets that were on the bed when we arrived. This was the worst experience I have ever been through at a hotel and I am usually very easy going because I work at a Hotel. But this was unacceptable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We strive to make sure all of our guests have a great experience staying at our hotel. We are sorry that this was not the case with you. The condition of your room is not normal for us and has been discussed thoroughly with our Executive Housekeeper. Every effort will be made to make sure that this does not happen again. We do hope that you will decide to give us another chance to provide you with the exceptional service you deserve. Please call me directly at (252) 441-6333 when you are ready to reserve your room. Again, we apologize for your unacceptable experience.
New Bern, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had an excellent time here. Like all hotels on the beach front, it is confronted with harsh climate conditions and heavy use during the summer time. At 35 years old this hotel is in great shape. The owners continue improving/investing in the hotel through planned renovations. The lobby area has a great piano bar and good drink prices. One of the added benefits of this hotel is a working kitchen; restaurant service was available and prices were very reasonable. We did not use the restaurant on this trip, but plan to on future stays. The working kitchen also allows them to make fresh breakfast items. It was a real treat to have freshly cooked bacon, sausage, and eggs ... not something out of a microwaved bag. The room was clean and up to date. We had a balcony and an excellent view of the sunrise.

The GM is hands on and knows her business. Choice Hotels Corporate HQ could take a lesson out of this GM's handbook on how to welcome Choice Privileges members. The staff made us feel very special and this type of welcome should be a Choice Hotels standard instead of a hit and miss.

We look forward to our next area visit and this Comfort Inn.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed your stay! We all try to make sure every guest has an awesome experience. We are glad this was met with you. Our breakfast is one of the best on the beach! You can't beat the freshness or the homemade grits! Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
North Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

What is not to love about this hotel? The staff is very friendly and kind. The food is good, both breakfast and dinner. The rooms are clean and quite large. Plenty of room. The best part is the ocean side rooms. Such a beautiful view. The sunrises are spectacular, and we see pelican among other sea birds and dolphins. You can let the sound of the waves lull you to sleep and wake up to the sound of them. Each balcony is private which is always nice. This is our second stay with this hotel. We love it here. Should we get the chance to visit the Outer Banks again this is our choice for hotels. If you love the ocean stay here. You have everything you need in one place without having to leave if you wish, as there is a dinner menu (which we understand also does room delivery) and lounge, a laundry for guest. We took a day of rest and stayed in the entire day one and did not have to leave once. This is a great hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
VickNC416, General Manager at Comfort Inn On The Ocean, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful compliments regarding our hotel. We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. The sound of the waves meeting the shore can definitely be a lullaby and helps for a peaceful sleep. We are happy you were able to enjoy it. We hope that you are able to come visit us again soon.

Been to Comfort Inn On The Ocean? Share your experiences!