“Lovely hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shutters on the Banks

You added Shutters on the Banks to your Saves list
Shutters on the Banks
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   405 S Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948 (Formerly Colony IV by the Sea)   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Pittsford, Vermont
“Lovely hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

My room was by far amazing. It had an oceanfront balcony and while it was too cold to enjoy it for any length of time, I still was able to enjoy the ocean view through my large window in my room. The only thing that could have improved my room was having a door to the balcony that was easily propped open so that I could hear the sound of the ocean all the time. The location is good but not ideal for me. It was too busy for me even in the off season. I likely won't return because of the location. But for people who like to have all the restaurants and stores nearby it would be perfect for them. Just not for me. I prefer the quiet.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Dear Takeme2theCaribbean,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your March stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us during the off season. I know that the weather can be cold during that time and I'm glad that you chose to stay with us.

John Zellers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
New City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Its a simple hotel and for the fact that its on the beach was amazing. The room itself was small and damp (i guess from all of the humidity. The air conditioner worked great, and loved the idea of the fridge and microwave right in the room. The breakfast was pretty basic and got boring after the 1st day. The rooms are old and need alittle more TLC but the beach where the hotel is, is very pretty and peaceful.

Room Tip: Shop around and book early i was able to get this hotel at the cheapest price
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Stephanie M,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us and apologize for any inconvenience. I will forward a copy of your review to our Housekeeping and Engineering staff so they can address the issues your raised in your review.

Thank you again and I hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We stayed at Shutters during our honeymoon. Every day we put up the "privacy please" tag in the door - housekeeping staff still left clean towels and extra supplies right outside the door for us. Any time they were nearby as we were leaving the room they would ask if we needed anything. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the complimentary toiletries were from Bath and Body Works! The location was excellent for us. Step right outside your room to the beach, or choose from many nearby activities and restaurants. Shutters is right on the Beach Road in the middle of the OBX - close to everything! Free breakfast was very convenient for us. They had apple juice, orange juice, milk, hot tea, coffee, grits, oatmeal, several flavors of yogurt, boiled eggs, fresh cut fruit (pineapple, cantaloupe, honey dew, grapes), make your own waffles, sausage gravy, biscuits, danishes, bagels, English muffins, cereal, and all the appropriate condiments even including peanut butter. We stayed in room 126. It was a dune view but we enjoyed the convenience of being on the ground floor. AC worked great. Room was very spacious, clean, updated,and included a couch and desk. Hubby is still bragging about the bed, and he is picky! I will say the comforter was a little too much for me - I woke up sweating a few times. Bathroom was on the smaller side and a little oddly placed as you first enter the room, but it worked fine. Good water pressure. They had an indoor pool and hot tub. Check-in and check-out was quick and easy. Staff was friendly. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: 126 was on the corner of the ground floor in the adjacent building - close to the gazebo - dune view
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Dear Tosha L,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the staff took good care of you. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Little pricey for what you are getting but cleaning crew is awesome. They have worked with me since I put privacy sign on the door everyday because id rather have privacy then workers in my room everyday. I leave them trash and dirty towels outside my door and when I come back from a busy day they have replaced everything for me. Love the view, the pool, the customer service and location.

Room Tip: Highly recommend this hotel for couples for sure
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Derek C,

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff took good care of you. I hope to see you again soon.

Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We ended up at Shutters at the last minute. Our stay on the Outer Banks had come to an end, but it was a beautiful day, and we couldn't bear to leave just yet. I found a good deal on my phone, and booked a room in their parking lot. Being that it was only 11 am or so, our room was not ready. The two women at the front desk were wonderful. So kind and helpful. They gave us the pool code and directed us to the beach. We loved the boardwalk and gazebo and really enjoyed the pool. It really felt like vacation, and we were exited when our room was ready before we expected it. Walking into the room, we were all hit with a very strong, and strange odor. Judging by other reviews, and our own assessment, this was either mold, or possibly the smell of old cigarettes. We were in the main building, overlooking the pool. Either way, it was difficult to breathe, and we propped the door open to let in some air. The room was very nicely remodeled, but was not clean. There was hair and crumbs in the sheets, and globs of snot (gross, sorry) on the inside of the shower curtain. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, and despite the air being on full blast, the room felt warm and sticky all night. The floor felt soft and wet. Very strange. Breakfast was great, and the atmosphere was very friendly. If the room had been a bit better we would recommend Shutters. Unfortunately, we will probably not return.

Room Tip: Avoid the main building, overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sara L,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am so sorry that hear about the issues that you encountered during your stay. I will be forwarding a copy of your review to our Housekeeping and Engineering staff so that can address these issues. We strive to ensure that every guest has a clean, comfortable room while with us and I am sorry we fell short of that goal during your stay.

Again Sara, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Stayed here with my wife & kids while passing through for one night in late July.

Decided to treat ourselves to an ocean front room. The hotel is in a nice location right on a very nice beach. Ocean views from our 3rd floor room were very nice. The room was pretty standard, but has a strange layout that has you enter the room almost directly into the bathroom. The bathroom area was small and the drain a little slow but the room was clean and comfortable.

Around 10PM someone one the beach was lighting off fireworks. We all went out on the balcony to watch. That's when he heard and saw one of the guests on the 2nd floor urinating off of the balcony. We were stunned. The hotel has a no smoking policy on the balcony but this slob didn't care about that either as he puffed away. I complained to the young lady at the desk but she had no idea what to do and just nervously giggled. It's unfortunate how one bad experience can taint an otherwise nice stay. Next time through I will spend a little more for a place with decent cliental.

On the plus side the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear 33333,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us and please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered. I understand how other guests actions can taint your stay and we try to do everything we can do limit improper behavior. Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Farmington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We recently stayed at Shutter for 3 nights during peak season. I choose Shutter based on other reviews. Upon arrival we were given a oceanfront room. The room was very clean with a fridge and exactly what we were expecting. A quick walk to the beach which was great. A nice breakfast included each morning with waffles, cereal etc......We had an issue with our toilet and was fixed by maintenance. the Outer Banks is fantastic and would stay at Shutter again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear mmalario1,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

John Zellers

Been to Shutters on the Banks? Share your experiences!