“great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shutters on the Banks

Save Saved
You added Shutters on the Banks to your Saves list
Shutters on the Banks
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   405 S Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948 (Formerly Colony IV by the Sea)   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
“great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

Little pricey for what you are getting but cleaning crew is awesome. They have worked with me since I put privacy sign on the door everyday because id rather have privacy then workers in my room everyday. I leave them trash and dirty towels outside my door and when I come back from a busy day they have replaced everything for me. Love the view, the pool, the customer service and location.

Room Tip: Highly recommend this hotel for couples for sure
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear Derek C,

Thank you for your review. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our staff took good care of you. I hope to see you again soon.

John Zellers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2014

We ended up at Shutters at the last minute. Our stay on the Outer Banks had come to an end, but it was a beautiful day, and we couldn't bear to leave just yet. I found a good deal on my phone, and booked a room in their parking lot. Being that it was only 11 am or so, our room was not ready. The two women at the front desk were wonderful. So kind and helpful. They gave us the pool code and directed us to the beach. We loved the boardwalk and gazebo and really enjoyed the pool. It really felt like vacation, and we were exited when our room was ready before we expected it. Walking into the room, we were all hit with a very strong, and strange odor. Judging by other reviews, and our own assessment, this was either mold, or possibly the smell of old cigarettes. We were in the main building, overlooking the pool. Either way, it was difficult to breathe, and we propped the door open to let in some air. The room was very nicely remodeled, but was not clean. There was hair and crumbs in the sheets, and globs of snot (gross, sorry) on the inside of the shower curtain. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, and despite the air being on full blast, the room felt warm and sticky all night. The floor felt soft and wet. Very strange. Breakfast was great, and the atmosphere was very friendly. If the room had been a bit better we would recommend Shutters. Unfortunately, we will probably not return.

Room Tip: Avoid the main building, overlooking the pool.
Dear Sara L,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am so sorry that hear about the issues that you encountered during your stay. I will be forwarding a copy of your review to our Housekeeping and Engineering staff so that can address these issues. We strive to ensure that every guest has a clean, comfortable room while with us and I am sorry we fell short of that goal during your stay.

Again Sara, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

Stayed here with my wife & kids while passing through for one night in late July.

Decided to treat ourselves to an ocean front room. The hotel is in a nice location right on a very nice beach. Ocean views from our 3rd floor room were very nice. The room was pretty standard, but has a strange layout that has you enter the room almost directly into the bathroom. The bathroom area was small and the drain a little slow but the room was clean and comfortable.

Around 10PM someone one the beach was lighting off fireworks. We all went out on the balcony to watch. That's when he heard and saw one of the guests on the 2nd floor urinating off of the balcony. We were stunned. The hotel has a no smoking policy on the balcony but this slob didn't care about that either as he puffed away. I complained to the young lady at the desk but she had no idea what to do and just nervously giggled. It's unfortunate how one bad experience can taint an otherwise nice stay. Next time through I will spend a little more for a place with decent cliental.

On the plus side the breakfast was very good.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Dear 33333,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us and please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered. I understand how other guests actions can taint your stay and we try to do everything we can do limit improper behavior. Again, please accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

Farmington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

We recently stayed at Shutter for 3 nights during peak season. I choose Shutter based on other reviews. Upon arrival we were given a oceanfront room. The room was very clean with a fridge and exactly what we were expecting. A quick walk to the beach which was great. A nice breakfast included each morning with waffles, cereal etc......We had an issue with our toilet and was fixed by maintenance. the Outer Banks is fantastic and would stay at Shutter again.

Dear mmalario1,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in mid-August 2014. We had a room on the second floor, aptly named a dune view room (but you could still see the sea). The location of the hotel/motel is the main selling factor - it's literally on the beach. And we had a fantastic time using this place as a base to explore the Outer Banks. The beach itself is nice, if not a little crowded - try further south towards Hatteras if you want more solitude.

As naive Brits, we didn't quite realise how popular the area is with American tourists. No problem, though for just over $1,000 for 4 nights we expected a bit more luxury in our room to be honest. Functional, clean and pristine but felt a bit early 2000's decor/appliance wise. Guess you pay for the location at peak time, and not the room fittings etc...

Anyway, we genuinely had a nice time and breakfasts were good too - the usual bagels, waffles and fruit (though the fruit cocktail tasted as if it were tinned). Nice outside dining area; only issue is if it rains there is hardly anywhere to sit. And seems like when it rains, the American tourists enjoy eating copious amounts of waffles and therefore not really freeing the tables up.

Would we stay here again if back in the Outer Banks? Of course. Had a genuinely relaxing time in clean surroundings. Lots of decent restaurants a short drive away too.

Stayed August 2014
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Richard B,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay with us and I hope that you had a good trip back home. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and had chance to explore the Outer Banks. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We decided to come to the beach a day early to try and beat some of the Saturday traffic. We booked a room at Shutters for our Friday night in July. We booked a pool view room for $159. plus taxes/fees...came out to $179.50 total. We had 3 pretty major issues during our stay:

First: Our room ended up being on the ground floor directly across from the entrance to the outdoor pool; one word...noisy. Also, the light at the entrance to the pool was left on all night and it was very bright. The shades on the huge window did nothing to keep the light out of our room.

Second: Our room had an efficiency which would have been great if I had known about it. Nothing was mentioned at the time I booked, that I was booking an efficiency. I could have saved my family money by not eating out for dinner that evening.

Third: About 4 or 5am our AC unit decided to give up the ghost. We cleaned up, packed up and checked out as the temps in the room passed 82 degrees. We left sticky and covered in sweat.

Our room overall was clean and was a good size. The front desk provided excellent service and the ladies were super friendly. The continental breakfast was just like every other continental breakfast. Our stay was very average and I feel in order to have a good or excellent stay, I'd need to shell out more $$$ and the room was already $179.50 for one night.

Room Tip: If you can afford to, definitely choose an oceanfront or at least an oceanview room. Otherwise you...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear SOMDCHEEKYMOMMY,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. Please accept my apologies for the issues you encountered during your time with us. We strive to ensure that every guest has a comfortable stay in a clean room and I am sorry that we feel short of that goal during your stay.
If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel.

Sandston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Very pleased as always. This was our third stay at Shutters and this time I brought my family and booked three rooms! My mother-in-law really appreciated her handicap accessible room on the first floor as she suffers with breathing problems and cannot do steps. The rooms are clean and the beds are super comfy! The staff has been courteous and very accommodating each time we visit and we also enjoy the continental breakfast offered as we like to get out on the beach early. Another positive is that Shutters allows their customers to arrive prior to check-in and park onsite. You get access to the pools, hottub, refreshments, the beach, and they will call you when your room is ready. The same applies for after check out, so we hung out and missed all the heavy traffic. We can't wait to stay again next year!

Dear Stacy B,

Thank you for your review and for continuing to stay with Shutters over the years. It is because of repeat guests like yourself that we continue to be able to provide the high level of service and amenities. I look forward to seeing you again next year.

John Zellers

Been to Shutters on the Banks? Share your experiences!