“Convenient location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shutters on the Banks

Save Saved
You added Shutters on the Banks to your Saves list
Shutters on the Banks
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   405 S Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948 (Formerly Colony IV by the Sea)   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Wichita, Kansas
“Convenient location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My family stayed here for four nights in July 2014. The Kill Devil Hills location makes all OBX attractions easily accessible. We traveled north to view the wild horses and climb the Currituck lighthouse and south all the way to Ocracoke. The room is small but adequate. The hotel is beach-side, with no streets to cross. Rooms include a free breakfast and free wi-fi. Staff at the front desk were welcoming and willing to answer questions about area restaurants and attractions. The only drawback to the room was the constant dampness in the room. Although we hung our swimsuits and towels, they never fully dried. Perhaps the proximity of the beach contributes to the high humidity. In that case, I would say the location of the hotel is worth the trade off!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear KansasTraveler156,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time on the Outer Banks and were able to see all that this area has to offer. I am sorry to hear about the issue with the dampness. The high humidity during this time of year does effect how quickly things will dry.

Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to seeing you again!

John Zellers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I carefully researched hotels in our price range for our summer vacation to OBX since I am very choosy when it comes to hotels! The front desk ladies were very pleasant, the room was very clean, and the beach was very close! We were on first floor so had a dune view, but the ocean was so close it wasn't much of a negative. Breakfast was sufficient, plenty of seating. Hotel is close to many restaurants and shops, but need to drive to most of them. Overall, was very pleased with this hotel! Only negative was the teeny tiny bathroom.

Stayed July 2014
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Laurie O,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay at Shutters On The Banks. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I booked this off of trip advisor reviews and it lived up to the expectations. It was great to support a local business and this hotel was a great.. The housekeeping staff was beyond phenomenal, and the room was spotless every day. The views were great. My complaints are very minor, the breakfast was good but would have been better if there was at least one protein on the menu. We were sad that we had bad weather two of the days, we tried to extend our vacation and was told it would cost triple what we initially paid, it was very disappointing and colored our stay a little.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear JennalynF,

Thank you for review of your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the hotel met your needs. Thank you also for your comments regarding breakfast. We are always looking for ways to improve and your feedback will help. I am sorry that we were unable to extend your stay but I hope to see you again in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed here for one night -this was our third and last night of our mini eastern shore motorcycle vacation. Our room was on the first floor behind the staircase!!! I was hoping for a better location room considering I had booked way back in February. Anyway, we enjoyed the outside pool- they also have an inside pool and the free breakfast was simple- no hot/ cooked foods ( no eggs, no bacon etc) only dry foods( cereal, danish, english muffins, bagels), yogurt and some fruit -apples and some kind of melon mix-wish they had bananas. Internet worked well and everything else in the room functioned properly. The hotel has private access to the beach but is not convenient to walk to places (shops and restaurants) on the main road.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 275momof2,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Shutters On The Banks. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. We strive to ensure that every guest has a pleasant stay and an enjoyable time while with us and I am sorry that we fell short of that goal. Please know that room placement is based upon what is available the day you check in and is not based on when you made the reservation. Thank you for your comments regarding our breakfast. We are always looking for ways to improve and your feedback will help us do that. I hope that you will give us another try in future.

Charleston, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Shutters on the Banks on Monday, July 7th until Thursday, July 10th. We were going to stay til the 11th, but sun poisoning sent us home a day earlier. The staff was super nice! Upon checking in, our room wasn't ready, so they told us they would call us when our room was ready, and gave us the password to the indoor pool and everything. Our room was ready about two and a half hours after arriving to OBX. We got to our room, and it was nice. We had a king bed with a dune view, first floor. If you have a dune view room on the first floor, you can't see anything but the dune, so don't expect to see the ocean unless you are on the top floor or something. The bathroom was really small. Our room had a nice flat screen tv, fridge, microwave, sofa, and desk with chair. The only thing that bothered me was that the room was a little bit dated. Seemed to me like they could kinda update it a little bit (carpet, pictures, etc.). Also, there was a few bugs in our room, but it was right near the front door. I guess because we were on the first floor, which is understandable. The cleaning staff was really nice. We had to stay in our room because of my sunburn, but they were very nice and friendly. Upon checking out a day earlier, we did speak to the manager on duty, and she did refund our money back for the one night, so I was really happy about that. I would have loved to have spent another night there, but sun poisoning got the best of me. I would go back again and stay. It was in a great location, close to everything, and the walk to the beach is awesome with their gazebo that they have on property.

Room Tip: If you have a dune view room, make sure to tell them you want to stay above the first floor...otherw...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear fiatfanatic,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here in the Outer Banks. Thank you also for your comments regarding the rooms. We started a remodel of the hotel last year and should complete it by Memorial Day of 2015.

Thank you again and I look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

My entire family stayed here for our daughter's wedding and couldn't have been happier.. The front desk, the oceanfront views, the breakfast, the rooms, the location, the check-in. The staff was so helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Upper floors have a better view, but lower ones are great for beach access.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear kenpearl,

Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at Shutters On The Bank. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you had a good time at the wedding. I look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The hotel is conveniently located on the beach and near great restaurants. The staff was friendly and helpful and our housekeeper was great too! We went as a couple and noticed that most of the people staying there were families, which was fine, but did not get a chance to visit the hot tub due to children being in there every day/night. However, the beach in front of the hotel was never crowded, which was a great aspect of this location. We will probably be back on next visit!

Stayed July 2014
John Z, General Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Erinbback,

Thank you for posting a review of your stay. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you did enjoy some of the great food this area has to offer. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the Outer Banks.

John Zellers

Been to Shutters on the Banks? Share your experiences!