“Nice spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shutters on the Banks

You added Shutters on the Banks to your Saves list
Shutters on the Banks
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   405 S Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948 (Formerly Colony IV by the Sea)   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Though the staff weren't all that friendly and breakfast just okay, this has to be one of the better places to stay on the OBX. The price is reasonable, there is quick access to the beach, the rooms are comfortable and its easy to get to many of the best attractions. They have a nice pool and its relaxing overall.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

So let me start off this review with saying that my husband and I love this place. We have been down multiple times in the summer and always enjoy ourselves...it's a great location, right on the beach, in the heart of KDH with many delicious restaurants and bars around. We know that this isn't a 5 star hotel and accept it for what it is, clean and a bit run down but the price is right and always know we will enjoy ourselves regardless. This time, however, we went down during the off season (late Feb) for a mini babymoon before our first child is born in early April. We have never been down to KDH during the off season so were not sure what to expect, especially as we would be spending more time in the hotel room than we would during the summer. We got a 2 queen room on the 4th floor as all kings were booked. For some reason, this trip was destined to go poorly when it came to the hotel room. The room smelled funny, musty and kind of like sitting water. Our bathroom door wouldn't close, it was off by a quarter of an inch. The phone in our room didn't work. We had a rain storm and rain leaked in under the front door and made a HORRIBLE whistling sound, kind of like a tea kettle. Our sink wouldn't drain properly. They were doing construction right outside our room one day where the banging was so loud I could hear it over my hair dryer. Sounds like a nightmare right? Well after I had called down to the front desk 3 times (using my cell phone mind you as the phone in the room didn't work), the manager and maintenance guy came to our room to check it out for themselves. We all agreed (laughing) that the room was like room #13...nothing could go right. They could move us but only to a room on the second floor, which we did not want as we really wanted the 4th floor view. So in order to make it right, the manager gave us all three nights we were there for free and also gave us money for dinner that night. Both my husband and I were shocked and very very pleased by this as it showed management really cared about our satisfaction and wanted us to be happy. It honestly felt that the staff cared, every single person who knew we were in room 434 (avoid it at all costs until its renovated, lol) were very apologetic and couldn't have been nicer to us. I definitely think the room we were in could stand to go through a serious renovation (omg especially the bathroom...that thing has seen better days) but because of how management handled this visit, we are lifers of Shutters. You can fix a hotel room but it is SO hard to find a staff (especially management staff) who truly cares about their customers and their satisfaction (and when you are getting it for free, it makes you over look all the things that go wrong!). And for that, we will keep going back (and perhaps avoid room 434 :).

With all this said, the view was still amazing, the sheets were still clean, and the balcony was still a great asset...we kept our door open most days when we were in the room so we could hear and smell the ocean. It was so nice one morning we even ate breakfast outside on the balcony. Would absolutely suggest getting the 4th floor if you can!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Gaston, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We had a great time at Shutters this week..the room was very nice and clean, the walk to the beach was short, and the staff were helpful and courteous. Nice breakfast too! It was a perfect little mini vacation from all the cold weather we've been having. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Great place to stay. Friendly staff, very clean, comfortable beds, relaxing indoor pool and hot tub, continental breakfast is included. Anytime I need a hotel in this area this is the only place I'll want to go to. It's spoiled me. :)

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

I had found this place before but they were always booked. I'm so glad they had a vacancy this weekend because this place is a find! We stayed in a fourth floor room which we found clean and updated. The balcony was awesome, even though it was super cold. I went to sleep with the sound of waves out the window and woke up to the sunrise over the ocean. I could literally see it from my bed! You couldn't ask to be closer to the ocean. There is a little dune and then you are there! And it was only $65 a night! Goldmine I tell you! My friend and I started a tradition to come back every year to this place we liked it so much. The views and price weren't the only good thing. They had a hot breakfast with a good selection, really friendly staff, and bath and body works soaps. It's the little things... Great place to stay. If I weren't snowed in, I'd be heading back down for the three day weekend.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed here during the off, off season and it was great! I booked the long weekend (1/24 - 1/27/2014) through Groupon at a fantastic price. I made the reservation in September 2013 so had several months to worry and stew about my decision. I sure am glad I didn't cancel the reservation!! I think we've found a new "favorite place" to stay when visiting the Outer Banks! The room was fairly spacious, extremely clean, very nice breakfast, super friendly staff and absolutely cute property. Although it was too chilly to use it, there was a private covered porch facing the ocean with two adirondack chairs that would be great in nicer weather......just sit there sipping wine/whatever and listening to the waves..... The only thing between Shutters and the ocean are dunes and beach. There is a cute pavillion overlooking the ocean, we did not use the indoor pool, but observed some kids having a wonderful time swimiming and splashing. Every window in every room has plantation shutters - hence the name "Shutters on the Banks." All in all, this is a great place to stay - I can't say enough good things! Will return for sure!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Towers - room 228. Had a great view but I'm sure 3rd and 4th floor view is eve...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Elizabeth City, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Came with entire family to celebrate grandson birthday. He said he wanted to go to a motel with a pool. The kids loved the pool & hottub. It was not crowded in fact at one time we had pool arear to ourselves. Rooms clean & the breakfast was nice. We have stayed here before and will return. Family played on beach as well.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Shutters on the Banks? Share your experiences!