“"Not a Great place for Quiet Restful Sleep"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shutters on the Banks

You added Shutters on the Banks to your Saves list
Shutters on the Banks
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   405 S Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948 (Formerly Colony IV by the Sea)   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Suffolk, Virginia
“"Not a Great place for Quiet Restful Sleep"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed overnight here for the first time on 6/04. Lobby and meeting areas were nicely appointed. Room smelled musty from AC unit. Lighting in vanity area was very poor. Woke up the following morning to "red neck" idiots in the next room who continually slammed the door against the security lock. Two teen age boys running in and out of room while the mother stood on the porch outside our door and talked on the cell phone. IGNORANT,, IGNORANT, IGNORANT! Based upon the "value" of the rooms here, this is the type of clientel that will frequent this establishment. Should have known better, but it was recommended to us. The hotel is not to blame for this type of activity, however, that being said, folks with kids will seek out these deals and cause everyone around them great frustration in the process. Beware of lodging under $110./night on the OBX. You may have to spend $200-250. to enjoy a little peace and tranquility.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MKellySmith, Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I am sorry to hear about your experience while staying with us. It is unfortunate for other guests to have caused your stay to not be exceptional. While all feedback is always an opportunity for our services to grow we do hope you would try us at another date, Shutters on the Banks would like to be given the opportunity to prove that not all of our guests cause unsatisfactory stays.

M. Kelly Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Huntersville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My family and I stayed there for two nights. We were on what will likely be our last trip with our 80 year-old father who has terminal cancer. At 2 am the first night a drunk man staying at the hotel banged on all of our hotel doors yelling obscenities and making verbal threats. I was in the room with my father and it frightened him and all of us to death. My brother-in-law in an adjoining room called the police but not until the drunk guy screwed up our entire night's sleep. My dad was visibly shaken and had to spend most of the next day trying to get some rest and recover what little strength he had left.

The front desk said they were sorry and would leave a note for the manager but did not offer to credit our bill for the night/day lost. I followed up afterwards and the managers response was that "it is NOT our resonsibility" and "we did all we could do" so tough luck. I was quite struck by the extremely cold and surprisingly indifferent response and attitude from her. I will never stay here again nor will any member of my family and will make sure that anyone I know traveling to the Outer Banks stays clear of this place. I work in the financial world and if I treated a customer like that he/she would move their business elsewhere and I'd never hear from them again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lewiston, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Looking for beach front, awesome staff, clean rooms, and free breakfast? Shutters is the place to go! I cant say one bad thing about the hotel... The staff is friendly and always polite. Sandy at the front desk should be given an award for being the nicest person ever. We plan to stay here again!

Room Tip: We were in room 117 which is right next too the path to the beach so if you dont want to hear that I...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights in a 3rd floor king suite. Very clean and spacious. The balcony has very comfortable chairs where I sat multiple times each day watching the Ocean. The last day a school of dolphins passed by close enough to watch. There are super nice indoor and outdoor pools...great for kids and adults alike. The only disappointment was the hot tub was not working properly. And the beach was just over the barrier dune was clean wide and lightly used. I loved this hotel and would highly recommend this property for anyone looking for a small beachfront stay!

• Stayed May 2013
MKellySmith, Manager at Shutters on the Banks, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your kind words, we are so happy to know that you had such a positive stay with us at Shutters On The Banks. We do hope to see you in the future.

Manager
Shutters On The Banks
york, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The property is centrally located in Kill Devil Hills. We stayed on the 4th floor in the tower, right on the beach. Our oceanfront room was pretty clean and fairly spacious for an older hotel. There were plenty of towels. The bathroom was a bit small but the shower had really good water pressure. I wish there would have been a shelf above the sink for various sundries but there wasn't one. The beds were a little hard yet still comfy. I had no trouble sleeping. Although, there was only 1 elevator, we never had to wait long for it. I cannot comment on the pools because we spent all of our time on the beach, which was just a short walk away.
The only wierd thing was an ocassional odor of gas (perhaps propane?). As we sat our ocean front balcony at various times of the day, we would smell a pretty strong odor of propane gas. This was not a persistant smell but it did happend about 3 or 4 times per day.
Other than that, the hotel was great and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better ocean view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind words, we are sorry about the issue with the propane. We did find that the rental property next to us had an issue with their propane tank and that this issues has been resolved. We do look forward to seeing you in the future.

Manager
Shutters On The Banks
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We moved from another beach hotel that we did not like as it was still old even though it was also considered a renovated property. Shutters was simply excellent and we stayed on 2nd Floor facing the ocean...very clean rooms and accomodating staff.

We appreciated the convenience of the location and the cute and VERY CLEAN accomodations with a shutter vibe to it. We plan to stay here again when we make the trek from Chicago to Outer Banks next year. Thanks for making our stay very pleasant. Craig & Jo.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel takes the hospitality out of lodging. Despite the great location and ocean view, no one at this hotel did anything to make this a pleasant stay. Nobody was out rightly rude, but no request went fulfilled--not even a request for an extra box of tissues. The pool area blared with beach rock 'n roll music from opening to closing. When I asked that it be turned off or turned down, I was told "no." It is there for the other guests, despite the fact to no other guests entered the pool area in the three days I was there. The hot tub was way too hot and only one of the water jets worked. When I brought this to the attention of the desk clerk, "oh, well" was the response I got. They'll get around to fixing it, eventually. No one hoped we would have a pleasant stay and no one asked if we did. The room was charged at check in, which we were not told would occur and I had to pull teeth to get an itemized receipt for our stay. And that ended up being hand written, because their computer system couldn't produce it. Except for the natural environment and the gazebo on the beach, all amenities were over-promised, nothing was up to the quality or standard suggested in their advertising. No one cared who was staying in their rooms or what they did while there. Management's only concern was that the check cleared. And when that happened, we didn't matter any more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Shutters on the Banks? Share your experiences!