As the Wright Brothers Memorial at Kitty Hawk had long been on my "Bucket List", I decided to take advantage of Spring Break and drive down to Kill Devil Hills. Based on Trip Advisor reviews, I chose Shutters on the Banks as my base for rest and relaxation. Shutters on the Banks is a very pleasant and quaint hotel located directly on the beach with superb ocean views from its 3rd and 4th floor rooms.
Initially, I had reserved a 3rd floor room with two queen beds; but upon check-in I was "upgraded" to a 4th floor room with even better views at no charge. The room was large and comfortable with a spacious balcony. The bathroom, while quite small, provided strong water pressure and steamy-hot water on demand. The free Wi-Fi was very good with strong signal and never a connection drop. There is an indoor pool and a decent continental breakfast (though I far prefer the nearby "Stack 'em High" for my breakfast fuel-up). Shutters' location is perfect! You can see the top of the Wright Brothers Monument from the 4th floor walk-ways and you are near just about any eating establishment worth trying. If there was any downside to my stay at Shutters, it was the noisy construction work of the ongoing renovations. This construction work did get on the nerves especially when it continued into Saturday after I had been assured that there would be no construction work over the weekend; but I am certain that by the time the 2013 Summer season is in full-swing that the renovations will be but a memory.
All in all, I would confidently recommend Shutters on the Banks to anyone who wanted to spend a few relaxing days in the Outer Banks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oceanfront location, each room is equipped with two queen beds or one king and a sleep sofa and include a refrigerator, microwave, in-room phone, TV with HBO, AM-FM radio and highspeed internet. All efficiencies are equipped with full kitchens. We also have a limited number of King Studio Suites available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Venere, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Shutters on the Banks reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shutters On The Banks Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Colony Iv
- Shutters On The Banks Outer Banks, NC - Kill Devil Hills