“Eliminating cooking facilities” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Newport News, United States
“Eliminating cooking facilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Bad news for those who appreciate chance to cook meal in privacy of an ocean front room...hotel was clearly distinguished by in room cooking facilities...great staff...clean all around...no prior notification of this decision...brings them down to level of all other hotel/motels in outer banks...too bad...

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Cindy W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
I am sorry to say that we did remove the stoves from the units this season on the third fourth and fifth floors. Right now the dune and pool side rooms still have the stoves., but come October they will be gone as well.

We did a survey and the majority of the guests that have stayed in the past didn't care if the stoves were there or not, and the cost to upkeep them was not cost effective anymore. We did however update the kitchens with full apartment size fridges, and a larger microwave.

Sorry we don't have the facilities that you are needing on vacation, but we do have an all suite location versus the others with just a room for same price.

Hope you reconsider and come back again next year

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Midlothian
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I typically rent a house for my week in OBX but I wanted to travel last minute so I ended up with this location through a Hotwire deal. Certainly not a 3 hotel. It was all average room, view of a dune, service, etc. substantially outdated for the price. Will not return to this location unless there are major renovations.

• Stayed July 2014
I am sorry you didn't feel we met your needs during your stay, I only wish you had brought to my attention. Unfortunately when you book through Hotwire or any of the online travel sites, you are not getting the rooms with the views.

But the good news is in October we will be upgrading the lower two floors, we just renovated our 3 4 5 floors and we will be completely remodeling the lower two floors in the fall. We just ran out of time with construction delays etc.

So we do hope you will give us another chance, call the hotel directly you will get a better choice of views.

Please do give us another chance to show you the renovated rooms,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

At 250 bucks a night, a little pricey for a Best Western, but the location is terrific, right on the beach. Ocean view has a wonderful view.

Breakfast is like every best Western, but skip the biscuits and gravy. They are a bit rough.

Got an uptight note from cleaning staff they they would not make the bed as we left a small childs suit case on one bed and some fresh clothes I was going to wear after getting back from the fitness center. Whatever. Hope you feel better soon.

I would stay here again. The location is very good. I think even a handicapped person might be able to make it to the neach from here.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, sorry that we do not move personal items off the beds, this is for your security and ours. We don't want to accidently break anything and we do not want anything to accidently get misplaced.

I agree on the biscuits and gravy , not my favorite either, guess I am not southern enough, but allot of people request it so we keep it on the menu. We do try to switch it up a bit each day so you are not eating the same items if you are here for a week.

We do hope we see you again should you find your way back to the beach.
Amherst, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We have stayed in this hotel twice and both times have been good! It has recently been renovated and rooms modernized. Family of four was comfortable. Great for a short stay. They only downfall that I could think of would be that the bedrooms are by the hallway, so there is a little noise but not bad. Oh, they even took the time to turn the towels into sea turtles waiting on your beds! #306

Stayed July 2014
I am glad you enjoy the our Ocean Reef sea turtles. We mix it up with sting rays, sea turtles and elephants. The kids enjoy them and we enjoy making them, thinking on doing a towel folding class at the pool . We get a lot of requests.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and your room, we are working on the bedroom windows next season and hopefully the noise factor will be much better.

Thank you again for letting us know and sharing your great experience.
Spartanburg, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We loved the suite. It was roomy and comfortable and it was in a fantastic location for all of the sightseeing and great restaurants. The view of the ocean was exceptional and there was easy access to the beach. The breakfasts were excellent and the staff was friendly and helpful. It was altogether a great place to have a vacation.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your great feedback on trip advisor. I am proud of the work my staff does here at the hotel. They strive to ensure that everyone has an enjoyable experience. We look forward to having you come back and visit with us again, once the rooms are completely renovated.

Again thank you , and see you soon on your trip to OBX
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

The family went on a road trip and we found ourselves in the Outer Banks. We had no idea about anything, so we decided to pull over and have a look. We went to the Best Western to see if they had a room for the night, and they did, so we booked. We liked it so much that we asked if we could book in for two more nights. We were accommodated, but had to change rooms because they were full after us.

The front desk staff, housekeeping staff, and breakfast hall staff were all very nice and pleasant. All rooms are equivalent, and all rooms either face the pool or the ocean; nothing faces the parking lot. The rooms had a real, full-sized fridge. My only criticism is that all of the suites have double beds only -- two double beds in the bedroom and a Murphy double bed in the living room -- which makes it difficult for a couple to sleep together. Other than that, we had a very pleasant stay and would go back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Cindy W, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
I am glad you enjoyed your first visit to the outerbanks and that you stayed with us during your stay.

I am sorry you had to change rooms, and we do try to avoid that if at all possible. Its terrible to disrupt stays after guests have unpacked, unfortunately prior management thought that was a good why to rent rooms. Otherwise I am glad that you liked your stay

We do hope to see you again soon,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

We just stayed for two nights and had a very nice time. We had a suite on the fourth floor with an ocean view. The room was recently renovated. When we first went in there were a couple of problems but Bart the maintenance man was at our door immediately and fixed everything. In fact we ran into him numerous times throughout our entire stay and he helped us out on more than one occasion. The breakfast was good with a nice assortment and a lovely attendant overseeing the breakfast room. Unfortunately, we had to leave two days early due to the approaching hurricane and a special needs daughter terribly frightened of weather. Since we did not have a forced evacuation we couldn't get our money back, that's why I couldn't give the hotel five stars. Overall though, we were very happy with the hotel and would go back.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, its unfortunate that Arthur decided to destroy 4th of July weekend events.

I am sorry that my staff did not issue you an option to your wishing to depart early, we were offering credits on future reservations on anyone that wished to leave early, and I am not sure why you were not offered some alternatives , I apologize I was not at the front desk when you checked out, or if I was it was not brought to my attention. We were a bit frenzied in preparation for the storm. If you would like to contact me back to discuss you situation personally you can call me at 252-441-1611. And I will be more then happy to look into this situation further.

Again I am glad you got to spend some enjoyable time here, and do hope we see you again soon.

Been to BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!