“so-so towards good” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 19 hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Baltimore, Maryland
“so-so towards good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

This place would be terrific. We stayed in a 2-room suite, at the 5th floor. The room layout and amenities, as well as the hotel's direct opening towards the sea are - indeed - top notch. It is an older building and it shows though. But for me, that in itself is no reason to downgrade substantially a property. So: here are the definite drawbacks: it's drafty. The balcony doors have really worn out insulation and the howling of the wind is the first sound you notice as you enter the suite. another problem is that it only has 2 elevators, for a rather large hotel. And the one that is most solicited does not exactly work right. And then: the real drawback: they figured to renovate their breakfast room during the tourist season and give guests vouchers to a local breakfast place (Jolly Rogers), about 1.5 miles away. That may not sound like a big problem until you realize that unless you wake up and get there before 7, your wait may count in the 45 minutes to 1 hour or more. That's because, while it offers decent food, the place is small and it's open for regulars/others breakfast too. I don't know about others but I don't go on vacations to spend them waiting.
Then. there's a trick with the billing, which some may like, others may not. I'll simply expose it and let you decide if you like it or not, since I can definitely see both sides: if you book on-line, as we did, the hotel charges your card for the entire duration of your stay, up-front. That is, at the time of the reservation, not at the time when your stay effectively begins. If you do the reservation 2 months in advance - as we did - that amounts to a 2 month interest-free financing towards the hotel. If you appreciate having it all paid off before you even start the vacation, that may be a plus. If you mind giving free money to businesses and prefer to pre-pay a credit card to build up the cushion for the actual charge, or prefer the peace of mind that it's easier to cancel, then this may bother you. As I said, i present this neutrally, since I realize it entirely depends on the person.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are quietest (assuming you can ignore the howling draft) but the pool-ocean fronti...

291 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
SLC Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

As a business traveler, my hotel choice alters a bit when traveling with family. This Best Western is a perfect place for a family. The mini kitchen is great, the suite we had was perfect, and all the staff are friendly, if not extremely friendly.

The beach front location is extremely convenient. The warm outdoor pool is on the way to and from the beach, perfectly situated. Some beach vendor offers chairs and umbrellas for rent, which is nice when you're flying in and out as you can only haul so much stuff.

If you don't know the Outer Banks, Kill Devil Hills is centrally located and a perfect place to stay.

Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We unexpectedly found ourselves looking for a hotel room, when Highway 12 was closed due to flooding and we couldn't reach our beach rental for the night. It was late and we quickly landed upon the Best Western Ocean Reef, thinking we'd go with a chain "brand name" we could trust. What a mistake. This was the most disgusting place we have ever had the misfortune to stay. The room is really outdated - probably from the early 80's. Upon entering, the room reeked of smoke and mildew, and I went to the front desk to let them know, as we had been warned upon check in of a smoking fine if we left the room smoky (we don't smoke). We were too tired to switch rooms, and were prepared to put up with the smell. When I returned from the front desk, my husband had just pulled back the sheets on the queen bed where our children would sleep. The sheets were stained and crusty - like someone had been intimate on them and they had not been changed. We immediately asked to change rooms and were given a second floor room instead. All rooms at this hotel are accessed from outside - each pair of rooms being located down a very narrow corridor. These narrow corridors act as echo chambers, we discovered this at midnight, when our drunken frat boy neighbors returned and screamed, yelled, fought and cursed loudly right outside the doors. We barely slept at all. In the morning I dropped something on the bathroom floor and when I bent to pick it up, saw that the front of the toilet bowl was covered in thick brown runny stains - some sort of human waste. I cringe to think we stayed here with our kids - it would have been smarter to sleep in the car. We checked out as soon as the sun was up, we could not get out of there quickly enough. The woman at the front desk did not ask how our stay was, and when we told her about it she seemed non plussed, gave a weak apology and said there was nothing she could do but would let the general mgr. know. (The girl working the night before had taken $20 off our bill for the dirty bed.) I wanted to write this review to make sure no one made the same mistake of choosing this dangerously dirty, lackluster accommodation for their family trip - leave it to the frat boys and strange shirtless men who seemed to wander the property all night - stay far, far away.

Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We checked in which was super easy and went up to our room. As we began to relax with the sound of the ocean in the background we began to hear the sound of water dripping. We realized that our room was leaking. We were immediately moved to a different room with no problem and given a lower room rate because of the room change. The staff was very accommodating. The next room was just as great, just didn't have as great a view. We still had the sound of the ocean, we still had a spacious room, it was great, just no leak. The free breakfast was under renovation, so we were given vouchers to go to a restaurant down the street. The breakfast there was very good and I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the place.

I really don't have a negative comment. It was a great place with a great view and friendly staff. I will definitely come back for my next trip to OBX.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
tuscaloosa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Nice room, 1 bedroom with two double beds, living room with a cute Murphy pull out bed. Clean, but breakfast bar under construction- extremely annoying noises during the daytime. Desk clerk didn't tell me that they were giving vouchers for free breakfasts because of the construction- another vacationer informed me- therefore I missed out on free breakfast for 2 mornings. I'd stay again, no big deal.

• Stayed June 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Best Western is a decent choice for a group traveling. There were 4 of us in the room and had plenty of space to spread out. We didn't feel as if we were crammed in over our 3 night stay. While our room was advertised as an "Ocean Side" room, we were on the first floor and had a view of the sand dunes. Not a big deal, but I could see how this may be slightly deceiving when booking, if looking at the ocean was the objective.

The hotel overall is ready for an upgrade. As others have stated, the rooms look like they haven't had a major refresh since the early 90's. I found the pool area nice, and we spent much time there, however the pool could use a bit more attention. A few days, it was noticeably dirty with a visible film over the water. Our kitchen was pretty gross, and could definitely use a refresh as well.

We paid roughly $140 a night, and I feel like that would be the most I would be willing to pay. While the rooms were big, it is time for the place to be cleaned up. A renovation of the rooms to a more modern look would make it a much better value for the money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!