Stayed here with my mother for the second time at the end of March for 3 nights before checking into our cottage on Hatteras. This stay was even better than the first time! We had an oceanfront efficiency, which was a true bargain compared to the prices of other oceanfront hotels in the area. This made a great base camp for our touring and shopping on the northern beaches.
Our room had just had the front windows replaced, so we were thrilled to be able to open them and enjoy listening to the surf. The room was spotless clean, and the kitchenette was very well stocked with utensils, pots & pans, coffee maker, full size fridge, full size stove/oven, microwave and toaster. The beds were comfortable, and we had no problem with the water temperature or pressure as a previous reviewer stated. The staff was very helpful, and genuinely welcoming.
The big plus to us at The Cavalier oceanfront rooms is the covered porch. We were there at the end of March, and had some rain and wind. The porch area was sheltered from the wind by the dunes on either end of the property, and you literally step off the porch and onto the beach. We loved walking out our door onto the porch and just chilling in the comfy Adirondack chairs provided.
The parking is tight, and each room has an assigned parking space. We were surprised at how full the parking lot was when we returned from shopping and dinner the first night! It was a Thursday night, in March, and almost all the rooms were occupied.
What we really enjoyed most this stay was the people and the fun community atmosphere on the porch. The guests ranged from older mother/daughter groups like ourselves, to young families, to groups of couples traveling together. Everyone gravitated to the porch, and there were groups doing sing-alongs, visiting, and all having a wonderful time. Everyone was very considerate and polite - if you had to walk through a group's area to get to your room, folks moved out to make way for you. 10 PM is 'quiet time’, and everyone adhered to that and was very considerate with their music and kept the noise level down after that. We enjoyed listening to the group on the end with their guitar and sing-along. You don't get that atmosphere and fun at a cookie-cutter chain hotel with private balconies.
Even though The Cavalier does not take check-ins or check-outs on Saturdays, the office was open if we needed anything, staff was very visible and friendly, and there was coffee available in the office if you didn't want to make your own in the room.
Just a great, fun place to stay. Very comfortable and a great value. We love the vintage charm of the motel, and truly hope the owners don't sell out. My only suggestion for improvement would be new windows on the back side of the oceanfront so you could open them and get a cross-breeze, and new pillows. I hope it's not another 7 years before I can return here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your "home away from home" awaits you at The Cavalier By The Sea. Friendly service is our hallmark. We believe at the end of your stay you will be satisfied and refreshed and not quite ready to leave.... and you will find yourself returning year after year as do hundreds of our previous and now regular guests. Cavalier By The Sea offers a family atmosphere. For your enjoyment we have a large swimming pool for adults, a small one for the kiddies and a large play ground equipped with swings, slides, a giant ship for the kids, shuffleboard, volleyball and picnic tables. We have comfortable rooms with queen and double beds, cable TV, microwaves and refrigerators. We also have efficiencies and two & three-bedroom cottages including living room, kitchen, and bath completely furnished for light housekeeping. You will be right on the ocean and have only a few feet to walk to enjoy it to your heart's content whether it be swimming, wading, sun bathing or surfcasting. Or if you prefer not to walk at all, enjoy watching the ocean from your front porch in our very popular ocean front rooms which, unlike most "ocean front" rooms, sit right on the beach with no dunes to block your view. We are located on the "Ocean Side" of Virginia Dare Trail (Hwy. 12) at the 8.5 mile post, diagonally across from Wright Memorial Monument and opposite the Port O'Call Restaurant. Located in the center of the Outer Banks beaches, we provide a convenient place to make your headquarters while taking short trips to other points of interest in the area, such as Roanoke Island, Hatteras and Ocracoke. Golf courses, fishing piers, deep sea, sound and inlet fishing centers, souvenir shopping, and recreational areas are readily accessible. We are open all year. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Cavalier Motel Kill Devil Hills
- Cavalier Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Cavalier By The Sea Outer Banks, NC - Kill Devil Hills