My parents took me to the Cavalier for family vacation when I was 2 months old, back in '77. We went back every year for about 15 years and still go back now every few years. We've never stayed anywhere else and probably wouldn't go to the beach if we couldn't get a room at the Cavalier. It really is that much of a part of our family tradition.
I've stayed at luxury hotels in major cities...I live in the DC area. The Cavalier isn't fancy. It doesn't have a spa, a gym, or a sauna...none of the things to keep you inside when you're AT THE BEACH! The rooms are quaint and have a very vintage feel. Every room has a small porch area, a set of chairs, and a screen door. It really feels like you're in a beach cottage (they do have those, by the way). Even the rooms that are the very farthest from the beach are about a 1 minute walk away. Some rooms are beach-front and your door is literally 7 feet from the sand, just beyond your porch...and the view is spectacular.
The larger hotels are just far enough down the road to keep the beach near the Cavalier uncrowded even during the busiest week. Walk a half-mile down the beach, to where other hotels' umbrellas are lined up right next to each other, and you'll appreciate this
The staff are friendly and the hotel definitely has a family feel...it is family owned! During the summer, there are weekly dinnertime cookouts with live music in the "court" by the pool and games area. You really feel like you're part of a community there.
Truly, after staying at the Cavelier exclusively dozens of times spanning 5 decades now, I can't imagine an Outer Banks vacation that didn't include it.
- Also Known As:
- Cavalier Hotel
- Cavalier Motel Kill Devil Hills
- Cavalier Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Cavalier Motel Outer Banks, NC - Kill Devil Hills
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Your "home away from home" awaits you at The Cavalier Motel. We have ocean front, pool-side and economy rooms with double, twin, or queen beds, microwaves and refrigerators. We also have two and three-bedroom cottages. The Cavalier Motel offers a family atmosphere. For your enjoyment, we have a large swimming pool for adults, a small one for the kiddies and a large playground. ... more less