“Trip to Nags Head, N.C.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Nags Head Beach Hotel/Outer Banks

Save Saved
You added Travelodge Nags Head Beach Hotel/Outer Banks to your Saves list
Travelodge Nags Head Beach Hotel/Outer Banks
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   804 N Virginia Dare Trail, Milepost 8, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%

426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed 3 nights and were very happy with our stay. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, and ready to serve. The room was clean, comfortable and very spacious. We had a pool view room and loved hearing the relaxing sound of the water fall. Would gladly stay here in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Annandale, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I've paid extra for a room with an "ocean view", thinking that there would be some legitimate view of the ocean with a hoping distance over the dunes to the beach. Instead, the hotel is located a block away from the ocean front and the room opens up to a balcony that faces a busy traffic with a hint of water from a distance. I expected to sleep to the sound of the waves crashing, but the road noise is all I've heard. This is NOT the beach experience that I expected. I could have got a room at another hotel with the oceanFRONT for just a few bucks more. The pictures show that there is a pool, so I thought that the ocean view was stated due to the fact that there is a pool in the way between the ocean and the room. The staff adamantly denied my request to cancel my room due to the technicality of their claim. What a joke. Will never stay here, ever. I've learned the hard way not to book a room claiming to have a "ocean view" and expect to get any decent proximity to the actual beach.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for a ocean view , pool side is cheaper and better imo
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
nagsheadbeachhotel, Manager at Travelodge Nags Head Beach Hotel/Outer Banks, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
I am very sorry that our view of the ocean from your room did not meet your expectations. After speaking with my front desk staff I realize you thought you had reserved an ocean front property and were unhappy that our property is located directly across from the beach access instead of right on the beach. The two lane beach road that runs between us and the beach access has substantially less traffic than the main roads here on the Outer Banks. It is a quick two to three minute walk to the beach. We do have a private balcony that does provide an ocean view just as it is listed on our website. The ocean spans across from the beach road in front of the hotel the entire length of our property and you were located on our top floor which has the best views. I know they allowed you to see a few of our available king ocean view rooms and you were able to pick the one you liked best.
We are not right on the beach because we are not an ocean front property. We do not misrepresent ourselves on our website. Our goal is to make sure every guest that chooses to stay with us while visiting the Outer Banks enjoys their stay. We do work very hard to provide exceptional service and accommodations.
I do hope you left today feeling better about your stay than you did when you arrived yesterday. I know you did come down and apologized to my staff later in the day after you checked in. We have a cancellation policy that we have to abide by and that is why you were not allowed to cancel your reservation upon realizing you had not booked an ocean front property when you arrived. We have the same policy in place for everyone and must abide by these policies to be fair to all guest. I always recommend calling the property directly if you have any questions or are not sure if you are booking what you want. Ocean front and ocean view are very different room classifications. I am sorry you did not have a better understanding of the difference prior to your reservation. I can assure you we tell anyone booking an ocean view room directly with us that we are located across the street and the beach access and beach road separate us from the beach. It is not a far distance but to someone wanting to be ocean front it can seem that way.
Please feel free to communicate with me directly if I can be of assistance to you in the future.

Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed just one night. Check-in was fast and friendly, and the ocean view room I had requested was available. I would, however, recommend a pool view (level 3 or 4) since the ocean view sunrise made the balcony much too warm to enjoy in the morning, and the "view" of the ocean is from a distance anyway. The pool is small but nice, and was clearly enjoyed by families with small children. The continental breakfast served in the lobby was just fine, and the area was kept nice and clean.

The only problem we had was with the room air conditioning unit. We needed to keep the air fan on to keep the room relatively cool, but it made using the bed next to the unit impossible, because you were blown away with cold air. The only recourse seemed to be to keep the air/fan on high, but stay away from it....kind of strange.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your recent visit with us. We do have a lovely view from our pool side rooms which also offer a nice view of the Wright Brother's Monument. Our ocean view rooms do provide a expansive view of the ocean but we are not ocean front so it is not a view right on the beach. It is a quick two or three minute walk from the hotel to the ocean regardless of the room you are in. Making it nice to pay less and still have the ocean so convenient to your accomodations. The sunrise is great on the ocean view side of the building and the sun sets on the pool side of the building. We like to say we have the best of both worlds.

Our ac units are the standard units used in hotels and motels. These blow directly from the unit unlike central heat and air. I am sorry this was an issue during your stay.

If I can assist you with reservations in the future please feel free to contact me directly. It was a pleasure having you as our guest.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

An accessible room could be barely navigated with a small wheelchair.
Hadn't shown AAA card at check-in (there was a small sign saying to show all discounts at check-in) and front desk wouldn't discount it later.

• Stayed June 2013
I am sorry that your recent visit in one of our handicap friendly room did not meet your expectations. It is always our goal to provide each guest with exceptional accomodations and the best service on the beach. Although we are one of the newest hotels on the Outer Banks our hotel is twenty plus years old. Our handicap rooms are the standard size for the time frame in which the property was constructed. Handicap friendly rooms have changed today and we do try to provide the best accomodations possible for our guest who require handicap facilities. The rooms have one bed which makes the space for mobility larger than the rooms with two beds. We do have some plans in place to purchase new furniture this winter and hope to make the space in these rooms even easier to use.

I am very sorry that we were unable to honor your discount card when you mentioned it towards the end of your stay. We do require any and all discount cards to be presented at the time of check in. Once checked in the rate is locked in and we can not adjust it after the fact. We do have an 8X10 sign posted on the wall at the front desk that states all discount cards must be presented at the time of check in.

I can assure you, your concerns regarding our handicap friendly accomodations are important to us. We value you as a guest and we want your stay to always exceed your expectations. If I can assist you in the future please let me know. We do hope you will consider staying with us in the future should you have the opportunity to visit the area again.

Hotel Manager

Been to Travelodge Nags Head Beach Hotel/Outer Banks? Share your experiences!