“Who knew the steak would be great too?” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Flying Fish Cafe & Wine Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Café
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Description: Located between Milepost 9.5-10 in Kill Devil Hills on Route 158 Bypass
Suffolk, Virginia
“Who knew the steak would be great too?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

My wife and I have eaten at this wonderful OBX restaurant at least 7 or 8 times before and have always walked away full, smiling and talking about how fantastic our meals were. However, I can't remember a time when I did not get some type of seafood oriented dish. Why wouldn't I, they never miss. But, last night I just wasn't in the mood for seafood so I went out on a limb and ordered the ribeye steak, medium. When it arrived it was mounded-up in the back against a healthy serving of mashed potatoes that were additiionally coupled with a layer of asparagus and to either side of the steak were small bundles of onion strings. The first bite of the steak was so delicious that I cut another mouthful immediately. I couldn't believe it, I was actually having one of the best steaks I have ever eaten at one of my favorite seafood restaurants. God is good! I mean it, this steak was perfect. It was cooked beautifully, just to the rare side of medium (my favorite) with a great sear and topped with a butter/glaze that gave both a pleasing garlic taste and a little pepper heat. Put it all together and there are few things that will make a carnivore happier. Our waiter later told me that the Flying Fish gets their beef from Brandt Farms in California. If you have never tried the Flying Fish Cafe, you owe it to yourself enjoy a dinner there. Seafood or beef, you cannot go wrong.

91% Recommend
Virginia
“The BEST!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

The best restaurant in the Outer Banks. Treat yourself and go! You will not be dissapointed. We have been there numerous times and the food is always good and is consistent. Get the Chocolate Hurricane for dessert.....wonderful!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, good portion, good wine and beer selection and nice break from family clusters in obx”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012 via mobile

One of the beas restaurants in obx. Quieter atmosphere 22-35 per plate. Good service and team was very helpful. Great presentation, taste and options

Gloucester, Virginia
“The scallops were delish.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

What a fantastic meal. They always provide an exquisite touch to their dishes. Can't wait to return.

Visited June 2012
New York
“Fine dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Husband had Shrimp & Grits and I had the stuffed chicken- both were excellently prepared and you could tell the freshness of the food. I even enjoyed the vegetables- which for me is unusual. Prices are a bit higher, but you pay for quality. This is not the place if you want greasy fried seafood, which is usually the main staple of the larger restaurants. That food is fine sometimes, but if you are looking for a more upscale dining experience, I would recommend this restaurant. The service was also very attentive.