“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Outer Banks Motor Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks Motor Lodge
You added Outer Banks Motor Lodge to your Saves list
1509 S. Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Huntertown
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

One of the best locations on the beach, no dune in front. Older and not completely up to date, but in good repair and very clean. Nice pool area and play ground for kids. Staff very friendly. Easy walk to many good restaurants, pizza, and ice cream.

Room Tip: Ocean front was wonderful. Probably less traffice on the second floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed here 2 nights, as we were visiting friends. Other than the parking lot being tight and needing to parallel park, this was a good place. The only other complaint would be the other guests smoking out on the walkway outside the doors, but it didn't seem to seep into the rooms much. It was right on the beach, and some of the rooms were ocean front. We were not in that section, but we didn't ask to be placed there. It was more than we wanted to spend, but I can't imagine how much more it would have been during season! No noise heard while in the rooms. TV okay (remote didn't work, wasn't flat screen..we weren't there to watch TV), bed comfortable. AC worked well. Bathroom nothing fancy, but served it's purpose. No breakfast, but plenty of places around to eat! Wouldn't hesitate to stay again if needed/in the area. Dolphins swimming just off shore.

Room Tip: ask for beach side if that's what you want
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

My husband and I usually stay at one of the chain hotels with our daughter. This year it was just the two of us. We shopped around and found this place. The reviews were good and the rates were hard to beat. I am so happy we decided to stay here. Yes this is an older place. No it is not a luxury hotel. We found it to be just what we needed. The beach access is the best. No matter what room you are in, you are just a few steps from the beach. The staff is super friendly. We had a TV malfunction and staff was there within minutes to fix. My only complaint is there was not an outlet in bathroom so I had to fix my hair without a mirror. Oh well...can't have it all. We are already talking about which room we want to try to get next vacation. This will be our new home away from home.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

This place just doesn't let us down. We have stayed here several times and each time our expectations are met. Clean rooms and friendly staff. Super easy access to the beach and lots of near by dining options. It's an older hotel, but one of the cleanest by far! We love OBML!

Stayed May 2014
Waukesha, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We had never been to the east coast, so we planned a trip in march 2010 -the review makes me pick from dates and obviously our's is not there-(it's been a while but we plan to go back, we just need to make the time!). We chose OBX and were not disappointed. We wanted something on the beach..ON the beach. This was it! Decor in rooms is dated, but it had what we needed and the price was unbeatable!!! We went during a non-busy time, and had a king room that opened to the beach. Awesome!! The front desk staff was not there all night, as it was a low season, but that was ok. We just let them know ahead of time we may be in late, and then called and they met us there when we knew what time we'd be in from the airport! I personally slept SO well with the sounds of the waves on the beach.....sigh....we loved it here.

Room Tip: Choose the beach side, it's so great to hear the waves! Though, I imagine during a very busy sea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in mid-October. For the price, you can't beat this place. Some call it "dated", we call it "charming". It wouldn't be charming if it wasn't so very clean. We stayed in unit #28. Room was very spacious. Yes some things are dated, but we didn't want to pay the $350 a night charge at the Hilton. Love the near full size refrigerator for longer stays. Supplies to make a full pot of coffee every morning appreciated. The shower pressure was great. Beds comfy. Easy access to restaurants, a pretty good one right across the street. Got good local info from office staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eugene
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Upon arriving, there was no wifi available even though I emailed the day before and was informed that there was wifi. (I emailed because TripAdvisor says the Outer Banks Motor Lodge has wifi, but the lodge's website does not mention it.)

The wifi apparently had not worked for quite some time, according to the front desk clerk. When I told her that I had just been emailed the day before that wifi was available, she said oh, well maybe they got it fixed. She called around and was told that it did not work in the oceanfront rooms but might work in the side rooms with no view, but I could not get the internet in these rooms, and there was absolutely no signal at the oceanfront rooms. The only place I could get the internet was in the front office, and that was such a poor signal that it was just about useless.

As I was trying to get wifi, I did get a chance to view several rooms, one on the oceanfront and two on the side. Based on what I saw, I would say that these rooms appear appropriately priced for this location--adequate, low budget, nothing fancy.

I am really disappointed to be so thoughtlessly deceived, and I can't imagine why the Outer Banks Motor Lodge found it necessary to do so.

Because of this I could not stay here and was forced to scurry around to find other lodging with wifi. If wifi is not important to you and you need budget accommodations, maybe this place will do.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Outer Banks Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!