“Unbeatable beach access” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Outer Banks Motor Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks Motor Lodge
Save Saved
You added Outer Banks Motor Lodge to your Saves list
1509 S. Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Ranked #4 of 19 hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Novi, Michigan
“Unbeatable beach access”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Family of four stayed in a beach front room with an effeciency. The access to the beach was great....literally steps to the sand. We saved money eating breakfast and lunch in the room (full stove, frig and microwave). The room is quite dated, but clean....beds a bit mushy. Good maid service, not sure how they get all the sand out daily! Teens could walk to stores and fast food nearby.

My one issue is that I am a non-smoker, and I could not sit on my patio rocking chair for long without inhaling other's smoke. Not sure how they could handle this, since it is outside, but it seemed like everyone surrounding us were chain smokers.

Room Tip: I was on the oceanfront room five.....I would avoid, since the sand shower is right there, so there...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We needed a pet-friendly hotel for our trip and this place suited us just fine. I warned the children that it wasn't the same level of amenities we were used to, but we'd have a reasonably priced place to stay, it was on the beach, had a kitchennette, and the people were so helpful. We'll be back!

Yes, it is an older motel but I didn't have to worry about tracking in the sand, which was good considering how often we went to the beach (at least twice a day!).

PROS - location right on the beach, good value, helpful people, free washer/dryer, pet-friendly (and we did pick up after our dog, even in the middle of the night when our little one had to go!)

CONS - rooms (esp. bathoom), on the small side, older decor (but clean), smokers light up outside their rooms, so you have to walk past them to get to the beach

SUGGESTIONS: get another grill, and another dryer - the two times I used it I had to start laundry the laundry late at night because others were using it. I just wanted to dry the beach towels before we went to the beach in the morning (that we used in the pool that evening).

BOTTOM LINE: Would stay here again . . .

Room Tip: look at the motel map before asking for a room . . .
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in June 2013 and everything was perfect. We made reservations for the week of July 4 and upon check in we had a different room than we were told and a different price amount! Upon getting in the room we did an inspection and found utensils dirty and blood around the mattress protector!!!! After traveling 4 hours to get here there are no vacancies anywhere! So its either stay here for $600 and look at the street or go home :( I'm very disappointed in the fact that we didn't have the room that we reserved, the uncleanliness and the fact that its late and we are stuck! Ive stayed here before and never had any issues but this will be our last stay! The place is out dated and obviously the cleaning crew missed quite a few things in our room from linens with blood to dirty utensils to paint stained chairs that have oil stains to a roll of toilet tissue almost empty and a room door that wasn't locked upon our check in!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Hoot66, Manager at Outer Banks Motor Lodge, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
I'm sorry you are still so unhappy that you decided to write such a review. In response to the blood on your sheets, if you recall our conversation we changed the entire bedding and explained how it was a simple marker streak on the bottom edge of the mattress pad for easier recognition for a queen vs. a double - you completely understood and said "oh ok no problem, we weren't sure". And that mark is not seen unless searched for. Also, $536.40 was the amount you paid at check in, not 600. Again, I am truly sorry for the confusion/miscommunication. The room you were hoping for was booked a year in advance and there were no other options at that time as you were originally bringing two pets. I hope you will accept our apology for the miscommunication. And thank you for trying to extend your stay...
Leola, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This motel is an older motel but has everything you need without the added expense of adding the things you really don't need, but rather want. This is our annual home away from home. we stay here every year and really like the atmosphere, the people, the cleanliness, the beach ! Want a great value ? This is the place !
Our only complaints are that the other visitors are not considerate - making loud 'party' noise ALL night that you can not sleep and the motel does allow pets - which is okay - BUT the other visitors walk their dogs close to the rooms and do not clean up the mess. Walking in dog poop first thing in the morning is not my idea of a good time at the beach. Not a problem with the motel regarding this - they provide a nice side yard - the visitors just do not care. Many diseases could result.
Personally, I feel the motel should return to the "No Pets Allowed" policy. We have someone come in to take care of our critters while we are away so why should others encroach on our peace with dog poop and dog howling all night. Just saying.
The motel itself is a great value with great people.

Room Tip: The beach front room are real nice to wake up to and see the beach - cozy.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hoot66, Manager at Outer Banks Motor Lodge, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to right a review. I'm so glad you were pleased with your visit minus the dogs using the bathroom in areas they should not. I am so sorry you found yourself walking around and maybe even thru poop. Because you have brought this to my attention we have since gone out and stomped the pavement scooping up any such problem. This pet friendly policy is something in question. I have so many guests who take care of their pets and are considerate of others however it only takes that 1 or 2 to ruin it for so many others. Again thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention and we hope to see you again!
King, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Pros:
Good location
Clean
Quiet

Cons:
Outdated decor and furniture
Small Rooms

Very old 70s type motel with 90s style decor. We only needed a place to sleep and shower, so the lodge served its purpose. I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2013
Pinehurst, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay here!!! You can not beat the value!!! Rooms are extremely clean, right on the beach, and even a great pool area!! We will be back again but next time we will get an ocean view room!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We just arrived home from our 2nd visit to the OBX Motor Lodge. My first review was pretty glowing, but this time was not exactly up to that standard. While the room was just as clean, and overall a VERY good value - the quality of service and the quality of our stay was not as nice.

Since my first review, they have had a policy change. All rooms are now non-smoking, but smoking is allowed outside on the porch of all rooms. While at first I thought this policy would be an improvement, it actually is not. Anytime we walked from our room to the beach, or to the parking lot, we had to walk through clouds of smoke. I usually just held my breathe. On our first stay, I enjoyed sitting on the porch with coffee and watching the sunrise. Not possible now - unless you want to have a few second-hand cigarettes with your coffee... which I don't. This forced me off the porch and my relaxing porch rocking turned into walks. Not entirely bad... but not what I would prefer all the time. I have to say that for non-smokers, having the smokers and non-smokers on different floors was better.

Also, we experienced poor housekeeping. While things were cleaned with no issues - we did not always get our towels and coffee service re-stocked. With a 4 person reservation, we checked in and found only 2 bath towels. It was late, so we just used a couple of beach towels to make up for the shorted towels. The next day we received a new stock of 4 towels! Awesome! The day after we only received 3 towels, then 4 again, and then three. I went to the office twice for shorted towels. We experienced the same thing with the coffee service. It was only replaced once - twice I had to go to the office to get fresh coffee/filters. Twice I just went without and got my coffee at the Front Porch Café.

The pool was great. Free laundry machines for guests is awesome. We did everything from grill burgers to bake cookies!

So as I said... overall I still believe the OBXML is a very good value, however our next OBX vacation will be spent elsewhere. When traveling on a budget - or if you smoke or don't mind second-hand smoke, the Motor Lodge truly is a gem.

Room Tip: Room 5 is my least favorite. Foot wash/shower is right in front of the window, as is the stairway t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Outer Banks Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!