“Great value, no frills” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Outer Banks Motor Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kill Devil Hills
Outer Banks Motor Lodge
1509 S. Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Abingdon, Virginia
“Great value, no frills”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

After driving into town and deciding to stay at the last minute, my husband and I didn't want an expensive hotel since we got in fairly late. It was by far the least expensive around. We found it to be very clean, comfortable and quiet. Employees were helpful and friendly and the pool was clean and the beach access convenient. We would stay here again and I definitely recommend if you are looking for a deal but don't mind the lack of frills.

• Stayed June 2013

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
JACKSON, GEORGIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

What an amazing value!! If you're looking for a modern, high-rise hotel with hot tubs and lots of glitz and glamour, move on down the road. But if you want a clean, spacious, peaceful, relaxing "step back in time" beach experience, don't miss out on this one! Front desk personnel were extremely friendly and helpful. Room was an incredible value -- LARGE room with 2 beds, dining area with TV, full-size kitchen and a separate bedroom with another full-size bed and TV. Comfortable beds and nicely-equipped kitchen. Large pool and complimentary washer/dryer. But what really makes this hotel so wonderful is the full-length porch outside the room filled with comfortable rocking chairs. PERFECT for watching dolphins with early morning coffee and watching the sunset with an evening glass of wine. Directly on the beach. Convenient to restaurants and stores. We were three ladies traveling together and we felt very safe out walking in the evenings. Talked to several people in other rooms who have stayed there multiple times, and I can certainly understand why. Don't let the fact that is it "old" keep you from staying there, because in this case it's DEFINITELY "an oldie, but a goodie"!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms have better view of beach. We were in the last unit on the end which also mean fewer...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Marietta, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is an old motor court type motel. It has been around for a long time and yes it does show in some places. But the room was super clean and tidy. We had a great stay here. We stayed in Room 42, one of the pet friendly rooms. It had 2 queen beds and a kitchenette. The room was very comfortable and it was nice to have parking right outside our door. I wish they would make some of the ocean front rooms pet friendly though.

Room Tip: if you are booking a pet friendly room ask for rooms 40 or 41, they have nice little decks that look...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here in August on a short and short notice planned vacation. The price was very affordable, and while we stayed in a courtside room we still had great access to the beach. The location is very good in terms of accessing recreation and stores, restaurants etc. as well. I gather the rooms vary and you can see evidence of an ownership trying hard to keep things as nice as they can and improve along as I am sure time and funds allow. Our room was very dated, and if not for the cleanliness I might have been hesitant....so even though there was a lot of time damage and pretty noticeable "shabbiness" everything functioned and was clean. the bed was comfy, and the a/c served to keep the room cool as well as add some noise barrier. I am a light sleeper and had no problems resting well. The room seemed a little damp, and even our clothes in the bureau would come out seeming a little moist, but that is one price you pay for being so close to the shore....There were a few small housekeeping issues such as an half eaten burrito found in the microwave upon check in (but seriously...they let us in 4 hours early...I would have made my own bed for that convenience) and one day we seemed to have got "skipped" in the cleaning...granted we were in the room a little longer than necessary that ay due to the rain, but we did leave for the rest of the day...I tracked down some towels tho and carried out my trash and it was no big deal. The facilities and all were well scrubbed tho and the floor had daily evidence of vacuuming as did the linoleum entry of a damp mop. You are talking about someone who travels with her own cleaners, lysol and whatnot so to say I felt fairly comfortable is a very positive thing. I saw zero bugs, tho i did lay a towel at the bottom of my door at night since there was a sizable gap and i wanted to limit any critters from coming to visit. I felt VERY safe here...which is quirky as there is no security and the doors are simply entry...but the atmosphere and all just loaned itself to that. I never once felt uneasy, and I am a big door locker, etc. I would sit mornings on the long communal porch and enjoy conversation and coffee with my "neighbors", and even my 11 year old felt secure there....I walked to the beach in the dark of night and at the crack of dawn and felt very comfortable doing so. We only enjoyed the pool once as the weather was cruddy while we were there..in fact we had very limited ocean time because of it.....however the pool was clean, the deck was swept and clear of trash and it was a comfortable temperature. Being early risers, we missed out on swimming in the early morning due to chemical treatment and cleaning...so it would have been great if this could have been done before 9 am.... we were often up by six, but sometimes the poo wasn't ready until 10 or 11 it seemed :( There is an outside shower and spiquot here for rinsing sand off...I would have loved to have seen additional ones, but only because as I crossed the lot to my room I was usually re-sandy-fied, lol. Staff was gracious and professional...no complaints, and I would 100% go back. This place is a bit of a throw back...which I kinda enjoyed, having a retro streak in me... I loved that 2012 dropped away a little bit....which sometimes....is EXACTLY what you need on vacation.....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Leola, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Each and every year, for the past 20 or so years, we have made the trip to the Outer Banks and every year we stay here ! We live here for about 2 weeks and cater to many of our wholesale accounts while we are here. We never have to worry about the hotel, the people, the service, or anything ! A big relief when there are so many things we need to do while we are there. We rest easy, have a great view, enjoy the pool, have fun with the staff, and do not have to worry that we will be taken care of - we always are ! Many Many thanks to all the people who help make it happen !

Room Tip: If you lie a room with an ocean view ask for one along the back part of the building - sunrise is aw...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Linden, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Been here 5 nights with 2 to go. The staff is friendly, the beach access is great and the layout is a trip back in time to what vacationing in OBX should be like! Great so far and feels like I am on vacation and not just stopping off and staying at someones house!!

Room Tip: I have my puppies with me this time so room location is limited but spacious. Several ocean front ro...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Disputanta, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Arrived Sept 14, left Sept 17 and didn't want to leave. We had oceanfront room with kitchen and King bed. The rooms are a little dated, but, the bed was very comfortable, the room spotless from head to toe, and the view was amazing. An great place to stay, had pool and playground, they have a free laundry, vending machines, ice machine and fish cleaning table that was actually clean and didn't smell. The staff were wonderful, the check in folks were very helpful and welcomed us. The housekeeping staff were very good and thorough, the groundskeepers did a great job and the security fellow was a nice extra. The OBX Motor Lodge goes all out to make sure your stay is a good one. Don't let the fact that the motel has been there for some time fool you, these folks are in it to make us comfortable and make us want to come back, and I can promise you we will return. Great parking spaces too. The view, the sun coming up over the water, you must see it from this place. Amazing!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Outer Banks Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!