“Great Value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

You are two blocks from the beach and the hotel has no elevator. Guests should understand this up front. There is a golf cart shuttle to the beach available, but we just walked. We were as close as many of the rental houses at a fraction of the cost. Continental breakfast was pretty simple, but a cup of coffee and a pastry is nice in the morning. We would definitely stay here again. It is definitely worth the price. If you are looking for five stars, you won't be happy. If you are looking to hang out on the beach (or at YMCA with free passes for rainy days), this is a great value.

Room Tip: Request ground floor if you have trouble carrying luggage up stairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Emily C, Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thanks for your review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will return to see us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We booked this for one night. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The pool looked nice but we didn't have time to use it. The place was older but modernized and clean. The carpets n the hallway could be replaced to improve the overall appearance of the place. The staff was friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was good and the dining area was clean (it could have been bigger). Overall, we were pleased.

Room Tip: First floor - no elevators here!!
Emily C, Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Hey there, thanks for the review. We are so glad you were able to stay with us, but hope that you will come back for a longer visit again at some point! We are sorry you didn't have time to hop in the pool, but we hope that is because you were taking advantage of the beach!!! We get the public area carpets steam cleaned on a monthly basis, and since they are high traffic areas, we understand the carpet can wear down at some points especially during the summer, but appreciate that you still enjoyed your stay and that you gave us some great feedback! Hope to see you again!
Goldsboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

From my two previous reviews, I gave this hotel a 5 star rating with nothing but positive feedback. However, I regret to say I cannot do the same this time around.

Using my two wonderful experiences of the Outer Banks Inn, I booked a one night stay during the summer busy season. When I checked in everything went smoothly and the lady that assisted me was extremely nice. Well, I brought my luggage into my room and hurried out the door to go do somethings in Nags Head like shop, play miniature golf, and hangout at the beach without checking my room. I didn't really look or anything because I just assumed this room was up to the same caliber I was used to. After getting in late, I was getting settled for the night when I smelled an extremely musty smell when my air cut off. Needless to say this continued all night long and until I checked out. I laid on my bed and I looked up at the ceiling. Now, I had to blink my eyes twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things, but above my head on the ceiling were huge patches of what seemed to be water damage. It took up most of the ceiling and honestly I grossed me out, but it was so late at night I was too tired to go downstairs and say anything.

I got up the next day to use my coffee maker and when I opened the top part to put my coffee in it, a nasty odor came out. The old coffee and liner had been there from the previous occupant of the room. Well, then I just headed downstairs to get coffee and my breakfast. The continental breakfast with bagels, french toast, cereal, pecan twirls, and Nutrigrain bars was good as usual. Then I headed back upstairs, got my stuff, and checked out right on time. As I was checking out I mentioned the water damage on the ceiling to the lady at the desk, different from the one I had the previous day, she replied, "Well, we can't really do anything about the ceiling now because that room is booked back to back and we won't be able to fix it until the winter." I understand that summer is a really busy season and is when most places make the most of their money, however, I wouldn't put someone else in that same room with the brown patches on the ceiling.

On a more positive note, the staff that I interacted with were very professional and nice as usual. I once again enjoyed the cookies in the afternoon and for those who like to swim, this hotel has a nice pool and it is very close to the beach and shops.

Overall, I doubt I will come back during the busy season and pay full price for a room like the one I had.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Marah - I sincerely apologize as the items you mention are unacceptable. I can tell you we have repaired the ceiling in this room. We have also employed several companies and additional staff to help with the rooms that seem to be musty. The late July and August months at the beach are difficult to maintain low humidity in the building due to the high humidity levels outside. This is not an excuse just something we deal with every year. We are moving in the right direction. I have spoken with staff regarding your review because losing a repeat customer due to issues easily avoided is not what we are all about. I can promise the issues you mention are being addressed and corrected. I appreciate the detailed review as this is what makes us better. I do hope you will see this as atypical and give us a chance to WOW you on a return visit.
Emporia, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2014

With a #2 rating we were expecting a little bit nicer hotel. For the price it was good. The staff are very nice & accommodating. We requested the table & chair removed from our room so we could fit the baby's pack & play...there was someone there within 10 min. The breakfast left much to be desired. Our shower faucet was loose and hold mold/mildew around it. The ac was loud...woke us up every time it turned on. The pool is small but a nice bonus.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Leasa - I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I appreciate the kind words regarding the staff as I am truly blessed with a wonderful crew. I will certainly check on the bathroom and AC situation to ensure this is taken care of immediately. We have high standards and would hope that you would consider us again in the future as returning guests receive 20% from September to March. We would love the opportunity to WOW you.
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I booked a room for a wedding trip that required me to stay "at the beach". I found this hotel online for a much more affordable price than the hotel where the bride and groom were staying. I read previous reviews from several sites, so I knew what to expect. The building itself is an older building, and on the small side, but it was very clean and updated. Mini fridge and microwave inside the room, Bath and Body Works bathroom products, freshly painted walls, adequate water pressure (as a woman with long thick hair, water pressure in the shower is one of my number one concerns). The lobby was charming, and the staff were very friendly. We checked in at midnight (after a day filled with car trouble) and were taken care of quickly and with a smile from the woman at the front desk. It was just me and my boyfriend, so the room was plenty big enough. The bathroom is on the small side, but for only 2 people, it was perfectly suitable. Housekeeping gave us 4 sets of towels, and the extras were appreciated, since some hotels only give you enough towels for each person to have 1 towel. The beds were comfortable and I felt that they were clean. We woke up all 3 mornings and walked to the beach. The hotel offers a shuttle service for free, but the walk was quick and easy, so for anyone who is worried that this is not "beach-front" property, please do not fret about that. The fact that this hotel is about 2 blocks from the beach makes the pricing a lot more affordable! We bought 2 beach towels from the front desk because we had forgotten our own, and they were reasonable quality for $10 each.

The only problem (if you can even consider this a problem) is that our room keys deactivated themselves twice within 24 hours. I was told that certain smartphones can deactivate room keys, but since our cards were not near our phones, I'm not sure what the issue was. The staff quickly and kindly reset the cards for us, so no problems there.

Overall, I would definitely stay at the Outer Banks Inn again. The rooms were affordable with great customer service. As long as you're not a snob about staying somewhere "fancy", you'll appreciate and enjoy your stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you don't like to use the stairs, ask for a room on the first floor...
Emily C, Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Thanks so much Jenna for the detailed review of the Outer Banks Inn....we do appreciate that and are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us as well as all the amenities of the hotel. It sounds like we fit the needs of you and your boyfriend perfectly and that your stay was just fantastic! We are sorry about the keys, they do tend to have very weak magnetization so any magnets as well you may have near you have an effect. As for the beds, we are so glad they were comfortable and that you enjoyed your vacation with us! We certainly do hope that you return to stay with us again soon! We are taking reservations for our fall special, as well as the returning guest discount! Thanks again for the kind words...reviews really do help other travelers decide on where to stay!
Goldsboro, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Does fail to mention NO elevator, no staff offering to assist with luggage. Rooms were very small and was an older place with cosmetics but still was very used in appearance. No canopy to off load out of elements.
The only plus was that it was convenient to a lot of places of intrust. I was really disappointed with the booking stars that were giving for this place.Much nicer places were there but went with booking.coms recomendation, will not make that mistake again

Room Tip: ask anyone that has visited area before for tips
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Ricky - I apologize that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We are certainly smaller than most of our competitors but work hard to offer excellent service and ensure everyone gets the most out of their vacation. We typically have someone assisting with luggage and apologize this wasn't the case during your check-in. I do hope you were able to enjoy your time while here at the beach.
Sanford, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We booked 2 rooms for one night and were thrilled with our stay! While it is not ocean front, it is only a short 2-3 minute walk and is close to shopping and dining. Our rooms were spacious and very clean! We will be back!

Room Tip: If traveling with 3 kids as we do, request a room with a pull out couch! This room was plenty big en...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Emily C, Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Hey Ellie - We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the rooms and location of the Outer Banks Inn! We hope that you will return to visit us again real soon! Please note that we do have a returning guest discount if booked directly through the hotel between 9/2/14-4/1/15! We have tons of great events in the area in that time period and hope you will make it back! Thanks for the review and have a great rest of your summer!

Been to Outer Banks Inn? Share your experiences!