“Great for families” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great for families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our stay at the Outer Banks Inn was great. The rooms were nice and clean and the beds so very comfy. We all had a good night's sleep. The staff was awesome..they went out of their way to make sure our stay was the best.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will certainly share your comments with our staff and we hope you return soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Goode
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Nice renovated hotel on the bypass in Kill Devil Hills near everything-public beach access, great restaurants, Wright's Memorial, Jockey Ridge, YMCA (free passes available at the front desk) and grocery stores. There is plenty of convenient parking. The outside is attractive and inviting with a large covered front porch with several wooden rocking chairs. The outdoor pool is small but adequate and clean. The interior of this older hotel is pleasant with attractive decor. The property both inside and outside shows attention to detail and pride in ownership.

A nice selection of breakfast items was available in the main lobby-milk, cold cereal, coffee, hot water for tea, bagels, yogurt and danish sweets. The king-sized bed was comfortable and linens and pillows were super soft. The large flat screen TV was nice, but there was not a blue ray/DVD player in the room. There also was no closet in the room, just a cubby to hang a few things. Two chairs, a small round table and a large dresser with mirror completed the room. The bathroom was small but adequate. A nice selection of Bath and Body Works products were in the room. The wifi was super fast. Housekeeping was attentive. Overall, a good stay.

**This is a three story hotel with no elevator. Also our king room was small, very small by OBX standards. (The manager said there are a few larger rooms that may be available upon request)

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and certainly will pass along your kind words to the staff. We work hard to accommodate everyone's needs. When making a reservation we certainly encourage all our guests to let us know if they have special needs and we will do all we can to ensure their stay is memorable.
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

WOW the Outer Banks Inn exceeded all my expectations about a 2 star hotel. I am not sure how these hotels get their stars, but from everything we saw this should be a much higher star rating. The property was super clean, the bed was extremely comfy, and the staff was AWESOME!!!
Thank you Emily,Ashley, and especially Gayle at the front desk for their awesome service, Jen our housekeeper went out of her way to keep us happy and me warm!!! Thanks Joshua for running such a great property!!! Job well done !!!
Anke Apperson and Chip Simms

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and I will certainly pass along the kind words to the staff.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My family and I stayed here the first week they were open. It was holiday weekend thus thought it would be impossible to find anything. Since this hotel was new and I was aware of the location as I remembered when it was being renovated, I book 2 rooms once of my children as well. We travel and vacation a great deal and was very pleased at this quaint hotel. No problems with parking on a holiday weekend as the cart took us and picked up from the beach (thus no walking and hauling all the kids beach things and chairs). The staff by far is one of the BEST on the beach!!! They were very accomodating, caring and nurturing to my children as well as to us. I highly recommend this beautiful hotel as we have stayed there many times since they opened. LOVE IT AND ONE OF FAVORITE HOTELS ON OBX.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
I love reading reviews like this. We truly do want everyone to feel like family. Our staff works very hard day after day to accomplish this. I will be sure to share your kind words with everyone. We hope to see you again soon.
Chester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

It was great staying at the Outer Banks Inn.Very nice updates and great pool.We plan on staying there again in 2013.Manager Joshua was very helpful during our stay.The beds and new cable flatscreen televisions were satisfactory.Great prices hope they remain low.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I am certainly happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. The Outer Banks Inn will always be on the competitive edge with our rates. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I just finished a trip to the Outer Banks, and stayed at the Outer Banks Inn for nearly a week. It's an older 40-unit hotel that was recently renovated. Most aspects are new and clean, but occasionally you catch a glimpse of the old, like the decades-old shower insert that was broken and later patched. The room had everything needed for a great stay - comfortable beds, individual A/C, microwave and fridge, and even a cute little single-cup coffee maker that I never used. There was also good quality WiFi, and lots of towels.

One downside was that our room smelled like someone had smoked - A LOT - in there before us, and that part of the cleaning process was to use some chemical that tries to mask the smell. Well, the result was that the room smelled 80% of this chemical perfume and 20% of smoke. We ran the A/C in fan mode or left the window open a lot, to try to bring in fresh air, but the smell never really went away. But what can you do? A hotel in this price range is sometimes gonna attract the kind of people who smoke even in a non-smoking room.

The "free" breakfast was par for the course, maybe even a little better. There was coffee (regular and decaf), three cold cereals, milk, OJ, some pastries, yogurt, bread, bagels and cream cheese (and a toaster), and some microwave breakfast sandwiches. Personally, I'd rather just have some fresh fruit, but I think I'm in a minority in North Carolina.

We didn't get a chance to use the pool, but it looked nice. There's a laundry room and the washer and dryer both work very well. One shortcoming was that our room was on the 3rd floor and there's no elevator. And since we were staying here for a combination work/pleasure trip, we had a lot of luggage to haul up - and later down - three flights of stairs. My bum knee definitely got a workout. Speaking of which, guests of the hotel can use the local YMCA for free, which was awesome. We did that twice, and the Y is better than just about any health club I've visited. Oh, the staff was friendly and helpful all week long.

All in all, we were both happy with this hotel. It's not upscale, but at least in the off-season, it was a good room for a very good price. I'd stay there again if we return to the Outer Banks in the future.

Room Tip: If you have knee problems, try hard to get a room on the bottom floor. Those stairs are killer with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I truly appreciate such a detailed overview of your stay. Feedback certainly helps us improve. We are certainly glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. With regard to the room odor I sincerely apologize. We work very hard to keep our rooms clean. We do occasionally have guests that do not follow our non-smoking policy. Eliminating that odor is a grueling process. In the future please note we are always happy to relocate you to a different room if there is ever an issue. We hope you are able to visit with us again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Typical beach motel. Clean, mostly updated. Window a/c. Great not beachfront location and just a quick and easy walk to the beach, however, they offer a golf cart shuttle ride over if you like. The breakfast that they offer for a motel of this size is impressive and they offer fresh baked cookies in the afternoon. Fun little nicities. The entire staff is wonderful. I think I spoke with about 7 different people who worked there and they all were very nice, friendly and helpful. The Outer Banks is one of my favorite places in the world and I go there often. Usually for a longer period of time, but for a few days of fun in the sun, this is a great place to be. Would recommend and return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
I am certainly blessed with a wonderful staff that truly cares about what they do. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope you are able to return soon.

Been to Outer Banks Inn? Share your experiences!