“AWESOME FOR FAMILIES” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“AWESOME FOR FAMILIES”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

My family and I stayed here the first week they were open. It was holiday weekend thus thought it would be impossible to find anything. Since this hotel was new and I was aware of the location as I remembered when it was being renovated, I book 2 rooms once of my children as well. We travel and vacation a great deal and was very pleased at this quaint hotel. No problems with parking on a holiday weekend as the cart took us and picked up from the beach (thus no walking and hauling all the kids beach things and chairs). The staff by far is one of the BEST on the beach!!! They were very accomodating, caring and nurturing to my children as well as to us. I highly recommend this beautiful hotel as we have stayed there many times since they opened. LOVE IT AND ONE OF FAVORITE HOTELS ON OBX.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
I love reading reviews like this. We truly do want everyone to feel like family. Our staff works very hard day after day to accomplish this. I will be sure to share your kind words with everyone. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Chester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

It was great staying at the Outer Banks Inn.Very nice updates and great pool.We plan on staying there again in 2013.Manager Joshua was very helpful during our stay.The beds and new cable flatscreen televisions were satisfactory.Great prices hope they remain low.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
I am certainly happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. The Outer Banks Inn will always be on the competitive edge with our rates. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I just finished a trip to the Outer Banks, and stayed at the Outer Banks Inn for nearly a week. It's an older 40-unit hotel that was recently renovated. Most aspects are new and clean, but occasionally you catch a glimpse of the old, like the decades-old shower insert that was broken and later patched. The room had everything needed for a great stay - comfortable beds, individual A/C, microwave and fridge, and even a cute little single-cup coffee maker that I never used. There was also good quality WiFi, and lots of towels.

One downside was that our room smelled like someone had smoked - A LOT - in there before us, and that part of the cleaning process was to use some chemical that tries to mask the smell. Well, the result was that the room smelled 80% of this chemical perfume and 20% of smoke. We ran the A/C in fan mode or left the window open a lot, to try to bring in fresh air, but the smell never really went away. But what can you do? A hotel in this price range is sometimes gonna attract the kind of people who smoke even in a non-smoking room.

The "free" breakfast was par for the course, maybe even a little better. There was coffee (regular and decaf), three cold cereals, milk, OJ, some pastries, yogurt, bread, bagels and cream cheese (and a toaster), and some microwave breakfast sandwiches. Personally, I'd rather just have some fresh fruit, but I think I'm in a minority in North Carolina.

We didn't get a chance to use the pool, but it looked nice. There's a laundry room and the washer and dryer both work very well. One shortcoming was that our room was on the 3rd floor and there's no elevator. And since we were staying here for a combination work/pleasure trip, we had a lot of luggage to haul up - and later down - three flights of stairs. My bum knee definitely got a workout. Speaking of which, guests of the hotel can use the local YMCA for free, which was awesome. We did that twice, and the Y is better than just about any health club I've visited. Oh, the staff was friendly and helpful all week long.

All in all, we were both happy with this hotel. It's not upscale, but at least in the off-season, it was a good room for a very good price. I'd stay there again if we return to the Outer Banks in the future.

Room Tip: If you have knee problems, try hard to get a room on the bottom floor. Those stairs are killer with...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
I truly appreciate such a detailed overview of your stay. Feedback certainly helps us improve. We are certainly glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our amenities. With regard to the room odor I sincerely apologize. We work very hard to keep our rooms clean. We do occasionally have guests that do not follow our non-smoking policy. Eliminating that odor is a grueling process. In the future please note we are always happy to relocate you to a different room if there is ever an issue. We hope you are able to visit with us again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Typical beach motel. Clean, mostly updated. Window a/c. Great not beachfront location and just a quick and easy walk to the beach, however, they offer a golf cart shuttle ride over if you like. The breakfast that they offer for a motel of this size is impressive and they offer fresh baked cookies in the afternoon. Fun little nicities. The entire staff is wonderful. I think I spoke with about 7 different people who worked there and they all were very nice, friendly and helpful. The Outer Banks is one of my favorite places in the world and I go there often. Usually for a longer period of time, but for a few days of fun in the sun, this is a great place to be. Would recommend and return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
I am certainly blessed with a wonderful staff that truly cares about what they do. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope you are able to return soon.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We got a Groupon last minute for a trip to the OBX. We didn't know what to expect, so we read some reviews and still were uncertain of what kind of room we would be getting. It first of all is not a large room (but if you're in the OBX, you're not coming for the room), overall the room is nice - just need some good organizational skills, the TV worked great, WiFi accessible, and there is a small pool. The breakfast was acceptable, saved us $ on breakfast out in town, but don't expect a huge selection, and they did keep it fully stocked The beach is two short blocks away and they offer a shuttle to and from the beach. The Staff were EXTREMELY friendly, and you can tell the management care about their guests. You don't feel like another faceless tourist. It is obvious the owners put a lot of effort in to the renovations, the entire facility was clean, new floors and fresh beach themed paint throughout. Our family of 3 slept great, and we would definitely stay here again! Thank you OBX Inn. Oh and a few days after our stay we called to ask about the coffee in the rooms, Emily went out of her way to look it up and call us back:-) Can't beat great customer service!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I have to admit I am a huge fan of the coffee too. We hope to see you again soon.
Haymarket, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Wonderful staff, convenient location, and a very comfortable environment. I am more concerned with clean and comfortable than "new" and this property has provided a consistently positive stay. Will definitely stay here when I again travel to the OBX.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Joshua R, General Manager at Outer Banks Inn, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Even though we have not been open long I am so pleased to hear we are consistent. Consistency is vital in the hotel business and a key element to great customer service. I will certainly share your comments with the staff. We hope you are able to return soon.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

If you are looking for a fancy hotel, do not stay here because you will just end up writing a review complaining about it. The hotel met our needs (beds and bathroom) and was affordable, which is not easy to find in OBX. The customer service was wonderful. Be aware that there is no elevator. We would stay here again. We also were not woken up through the night from people in other rooms making noise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
I certainly wish we had an elevator. Keep in mind we try to be as accommodating as possible with requests and needs. We also will help you with your luggage. If this is not offered do not hesitate to let me know. We certainly appreciate the kind words.

Been to Outer Banks Inn? Share your experiences!