“Great deal for the price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur

Save Saved
You added Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur to your Saves list
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Ranked #8 of 19 hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Lexington, Kentucky
“Great deal for the price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My fiancé and I decided to take a retreat to the beach and revisit OBX. When I was doing my planning I wanted to choose something that was low on price and was close to a bunch of activities... and of course really close to the beach (who doesn't want that?!).

I stumbled upon the Kill Devil Hills Days Inn via a hotel and resort discounting website through MyCokeRewards.com's $50 hotel gift card reward. I didn't know what to expect with this hotel, but based on the pricing, amenities, and reading a handful of reviews on this specific hotel, I booked us a double room for a week for just under $400 (minus taxes and such). We got a basic double room that faced north. The room was tiny for a room that has two full sized beds in it. But the room was CLEAN. After having a few hotel blunders with other hotel chains that involved bugs and frogs, all I ask for now is that a room is clean and maintained. This hotel does a great job at cleaning and maintaining their rooms and hotel.

We indulged in many of the amenities of the hotel including afternoon cookies and lemonade (FREE) and the grill out back (also FREE) to cook dinners on. Also from our room it was a minute walk to the beach. It can't get much better than that! But it can... Not only is it beach front but this hotel is close to many area attractions. We ended up walking most places in an effort to save money and get some exercise from all the wonderful, fresh seafood we were eating and cool things like the memorial and the Outerbanks Brewing Station were in walking distance. The only thing with walking around town is that sidewalks are VERY limited. So walk with care!

Overall, I was very pleased with our stay at the Days Inn Kill Devil Hills! The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful (with our frequent questions) and the hospitality crew did a great job with maintaining the hotels cleanliness and appearance. I would recommend this hotel to the budget conscious friends looking for an enjoyable and relaxing stay in the Outerbanks!

Room Tip: Since this specific hotel is fairly priced for where it's located, don't do what I did and g...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

596 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Laurie, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Spent great 2 days here really enjoyed our time there just wish it could have been longer. It was a great way to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. It is a pet friendly hotel. Enjoyed a continental brfst. The room was clean the beds were comfortable & they upgraded us from a queen to a king @ no extra charge. Was a short walk to the ocean but was unable to get a pretty sunset on the side we were own. It was a short distance to the Wright Brothers Memorial & restaurant they recommended was good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you so much for coming to the Outer Banks for your getaway. We know that you could have chosen any hotel on the Outer Banks and we appreciate your choosing ours. However the first thing I would like to address is that we are not a pet friendly hotel, sorry. If you are traveling with a pet, we are more than happy to refer you to properties in this area who are but unfortunately we are not. However, I'm so very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us while on the Outer Banks. We do hope that you are able to visit the Outer Banks again in the future and please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to help make reservations for your next stay. Thank you!! Tonia
Mentor, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Wright Cottage Court
#238

My husband and I spent a lovely week vacationing at the Outer Banks of NC (OBX). Our young adult daughter and the Auntie joined us. We were very last minute in our plans leaving us with few choices for ocean front properties. We were about to give up when the Wright Cottage Court #238 popped up as available during our search. We dashed off an email which was promptly replied to. A quick phone call and our reservation was all set. The staff could not have been nicer.
The "cottage" is actually the top floor of a house with another "cottage" below and sits next to the Wright Days Inn. To be honest I was a bit concerned being so close to a hotel and finding out that our cottage was really not a free standing single cottage. I am happy to report it was one of the nicest places we rented in a 28 year history of renting houses and cottages at the OBX. It was immaculate and appeared to have been recently updated. Full size appliances in the kitchen included stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave. Cooking utensils, pots and pans, dishes, mugs and flatware all were provided. Linens also come with the cottage as well as towels. There is a full size stackable front loading washer and dryer combo tucked in a closet. A powder room and a bathroom with one tub/shower combo. Three bedrooms with doors and the living room kitchen is open concept design. It is decorated very beachy with bright yet coordinating colors. Beach access is pretty easy if you have mobility issues but on the same note climbing the stairs would be hard on someone who struggles with joint issues. The cottage is listed to sleep six. In all honesty that is a huge stretch. Four adults max. You could do six if four were small kids. There is just not enough room to be comfortable. The two sofas only sit two people each so if six came two people are out of luck. Parking is also a challenge as the hotel residents often park next to the cottage taking up spaces. A simple solution would be to replace the numbers on the cottage spots and instruct hotel guests to not park there.
WiFi worked great and there are plugs everywhere to charge phones etc.
The mattresses were very soft and the pillows can only be described as cotton batting stuffed in a case. Worst pillow title winner of all time.
I did not care for being handed bright orange wrist bands to wear if we wanted to use the pool that is shared with the Wright Days Inn If you put it on it was not coming off. It was tacky and not appreciated. Whatever the reasons they would give a removable wrist band would be better or a card to access the pool. From a security stand point I do not think the parking tag should have your cottage number present for all to see. A simple dates staying is safer. These may seem like little things but at $2500 a week one should have all the positive and negative things to weigh staying there.
As I said we have been renting for 28 years I would stay here again and recommend it if you are looking for a small rental on the beach.

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments concerning the cottage court. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us so much! Your comments were very lovely and kind. However for other people's reference, this property is a separate property from the hotel and is not a part of the Days Inn. We do hope to see you again at the Wright Cottage Court! Thank you, Tonia
Cheshire, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The room was small, but very clean and we could see the ocean. Nice place for a short stay. Some other rooms looked larger. Staff was excellent and the lobby was kept well. Popcorn, cookies and lemonade in the afternoon are a nice touch.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for coming to the Outer Banks and for choosing to stay at our property. I'm so pleased your found everything clean and tidy and that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope that we will be able to see you again another time and please feel free to contact us and I will be happy to help make reservations for your next stay. Thank you! Tonia

Been to Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur? Share your experiences!