Wright Cottage Court
My husband and I spent a lovely week vacationing at the Outer Banks of NC (OBX). Our young adult daughter and the Auntie joined us. We were very last minute in our plans leaving us with few choices for ocean front properties. We were about to give up when the Wright Cottage Court #238 popped up as available during our search. We dashed off an email which was promptly replied to. A quick phone call and our reservation was all set. The staff could not have been nicer.
The "cottage" is actually the top floor of a house with another "cottage" below and sits next to the Wright Days Inn. To be honest I was a bit concerned being so close to a hotel and finding out that our cottage was really not a free standing single cottage. I am happy to report it was one of the nicest places we rented in a 28 year history of renting houses and cottages at the OBX. It was immaculate and appeared to have been recently updated. Full size appliances in the kitchen included stove, refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave. Cooking utensils, pots and pans, dishes, mugs and flatware all were provided. Linens also come with the cottage as well as towels. There is a full size stackable front loading washer and dryer combo tucked in a closet. A powder room and a bathroom with one tub/shower combo. Three bedrooms with doors and the living room kitchen is open concept design. It is decorated very beachy with bright yet coordinating colors. Beach access is pretty easy if you have mobility issues but on the same note climbing the stairs would be hard on someone who struggles with joint issues. The cottage is listed to sleep six. In all honesty that is a huge stretch. Four adults max. You could do six if four were small kids. There is just not enough room to be comfortable. The two sofas only sit two people each so if six came two people are out of luck. Parking is also a challenge as the hotel residents often park next to the cottage taking up spaces. A simple solution would be to replace the numbers on the cottage spots and instruct hotel guests to not park there.
WiFi worked great and there are plugs everywhere to charge phones etc.
The mattresses were very soft and the pillows can only be described as cotton batting stuffed in a case. Worst pillow title winner of all time.
I did not care for being handed bright orange wrist bands to wear if we wanted to use the pool that is shared with the Wright Days Inn If you put it on it was not coming off. It was tacky and not appreciated. Whatever the reasons they would give a removable wrist band would be better or a card to access the pool. From a security stand point I do not think the parking tag should have your cottage number present for all to see. A simple dates staying is safer. These may seem like little things but at $2500 a week one should have all the positive and negative things to weigh staying there.
As I said we have been renting for 28 years I would stay here again and recommend it if you are looking for a small rental on the beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nominated in 2009 by Days Inn as 1 of their 10 Finalists for Best Property of the Year (for a hotel with 75 rooms or less). Oceanfront property with expanded complimentary continental breakfast including waffles, cereals, fruit, yogurt & more. All rooms and suites are smoke free. Afternoon refreshments served from 4-6 pm. Microwave/refrig, coffeemaker, & hi speed wireless internet available in all rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Wyndham, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn Oceanfront Wright Brothers Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur Outer Banks, NC
- Kill Devil Hills Days Inn