“Lucky Find” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur

Save Saved
You added Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur to your Saves list
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 North Virginia Dare Trail, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948   |
Ranked #8 of 19 hotels in Kill Devil Hills

600 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Asheville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our room was a ground floor room facing the road (room 100). It was newly renovated with new carpeting, tropical print bedspread and curtains. Large windows. Bathroom was really nice and tastefully done in neutral colors and was all brand new. Comfortable bed and pillows. Very clean. Very friendly staff. Decent free breakfast. Free popcorn, hot cider and cookies in the breakfast are during the day. However, there were a few snags. The door lock would screw up to where the door would not shut, and we had to mess with it a lot to make it adjust to where it would close. One of our key cards also had not been loaded with a code, so it wouldn't open the door at all until we took it back in to be fixed. While watching TV that night with two lamps on, the power went out. Completely out. Pitch black. I had a small flashlight with me I used to find the phone and call the front desk. They said they would check it out, and then I could heard someone walking upstairs above us. The lights came back on, and they came by to make sure they were on. The guy said somebody next door was using a hairdryer, and that had tripped the circuit breaker. Really? Using a hairdryer in a hotel knocks out the power? Again, they were very nice. The AC unit was installed in the back wall and made an irritating vibrating noise when it was running. I was sure it would keep us awake all night. But my friend went over and pushed the vents in some, and it finally stopped. Thank God! The next morning when I went into the bathroom barefoot and sat down on the toilet, my foot was in cold water on the floor. We hadn't used the shower yet, so we knew something was leaking... likely the toilet or plumbing from upstairs. It was not a ton of water, but something was definitely leaking. I told the desk clerk that we enjoyed our stay and liked the room, but I also gave her the list of what was wrong... mostly because I figured they would want to know so they could improve things. They do seem to care, so I hope they will fix the problems I mentioned. The lobby was warm and cozy like a living room. Natural wood, oriental rug. Nice furniture. Fire in the fireplace. However, there was a five foot tall cardboard advertisement for a free Android phone (with a 2-year contract or something) in neon green standing right beside the fireplace that kind of ruined the ambiance. There was also a neon green cardboard stand-up on the front desk, along with advertising cards for the same thing. And beyond that, we had a cardboard ad in our room. Are they a hotel or a cell phone store? I just felt this was a bit tacky and that it took away from the place. The pool was not open because it was cold outside, but it looked nice enough for a hotel of this age. When I say "of this age", I mean it is an older hotel, but it has been nicely updated and has character that most modern inns do not have. The beach is not far from the back of the hotel. I highly recommend eating at the Kill Devil Grill nearby. It was really outstanding. I would stay at this Days Inn again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your recent trip to the Outer Banks, we appreciate your choosing to stay with us during your visit. We have replaced the door to that room since your stay and am sorry that you had any issues with your door. We have had the plumber here as well as an electrician since your stay and there should not be any additional issues with that room. We appreciate your giving us this information during your stay so that we can get items fixed so others may also have a nice stay with us. I have to say that we all agree with you on the Android cut out ruining our atmosphere, but unfortunately we are required to have that item in the lobby as well as in-room because of our being a Wyndham brand hotel. We do hope that you will be able to visit with us again another time and if you are able to return, please feel free to contact me and I would be happy to help make reservations for your next stay. Thank you! Tonia
New Derry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I look forward to a few days on the Outer Banks every March and this is our 3rd year staying at this Days Inn. It's comfortable, good breakfast, friendly staff (especially the breakfast lady!), convenient to our favorite restaurants and activities. We'll be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for returning to visit with us every year! Joan, our breakfast hostess, is one of our many gems that work here along with us at our property---people tell us they choose us just so they can visit with her every year. We very much appreciate all of our returning guests and its lovely to see the same faces year after year. Thank you for visiting with us again and please feel free to call for your next stay's reservations! Thank you, Tonia

Been to Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur? Share your experiences!