Our room was a ground floor room facing the road (room 100). It was newly renovated with new carpeting, tropical print bedspread and curtains. Large windows. Bathroom was really nice and tastefully done in neutral colors and was all brand new. Comfortable bed and pillows. Very clean. Very friendly staff. Decent free breakfast. Free popcorn, hot cider and cookies in the breakfast are during the day. However, there were a few snags. The door lock would screw up to where the door would not shut, and we had to mess with it a lot to make it adjust to where it would close. One of our key cards also had not been loaded with a code, so it wouldn't open the door at all until we took it back in to be fixed. While watching TV that night with two lamps on, the power went out. Completely out. Pitch black. I had a small flashlight with me I used to find the phone and call the front desk. They said they would check it out, and then I could heard someone walking upstairs above us. The lights came back on, and they came by to make sure they were on. The guy said somebody next door was using a hairdryer, and that had tripped the circuit breaker. Really? Using a hairdryer in a hotel knocks out the power? Again, they were very nice. The AC unit was installed in the back wall and made an irritating vibrating noise when it was running. I was sure it would keep us awake all night. But my friend went over and pushed the vents in some, and it finally stopped. Thank God! The next morning when I went into the bathroom barefoot and sat down on the toilet, my foot was in cold water on the floor. We hadn't used the shower yet, so we knew something was leaking... likely the toilet or plumbing from upstairs. It was not a ton of water, but something was definitely leaking. I told the desk clerk that we enjoyed our stay and liked the room, but I also gave her the list of what was wrong... mostly because I figured they would want to know so they could improve things. They do seem to care, so I hope they will fix the problems I mentioned. The lobby was warm and cozy like a living room. Natural wood, oriental rug. Nice furniture. Fire in the fireplace. However, there was a five foot tall cardboard advertisement for a free Android phone (with a 2-year contract or something) in neon green standing right beside the fireplace that kind of ruined the ambiance. There was also a neon green cardboard stand-up on the front desk, along with advertising cards for the same thing. And beyond that, we had a cardboard ad in our room. Are they a hotel or a cell phone store? I just felt this was a bit tacky and that it took away from the place. The pool was not open because it was cold outside, but it looked nice enough for a hotel of this age. When I say "of this age", I mean it is an older hotel, but it has been nicely updated and has character that most modern inns do not have. The beach is not far from the back of the hotel. I highly recommend eating at the Kill Devil Grill nearby. It was really outstanding. I would stay at this Days Inn again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nominated in 2009 by Days Inn as 1 of their 10 Finalists for Best Property of the Year (for a hotel with 75 rooms or less). Oceanfront property with expanded complimentary continental breakfast including waffles, cereals, fruit, yogurt & more. All rooms and suites are smoke free. Afternoon refreshments served from 4-6 pm. Microwave/refrig, coffeemaker, & hi speed wireless internet available in all rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Wyndham, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Days Inn Oceanfront Wright Brothers Hotel Kill Devil Hills
- Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur Outer Banks, NC
- Kill Devil Hills Days Inn